Nashville RCA Studio B footage. Incredible!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by .crystalised., Mar 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. .crystalised.

.crystalised. Forum Resident Thread Starter

This is a great photo, George! This is the view Jim would be seeing from where he's standing in the film clip. The violins and vibraphone would be to the left hand side of this photo, while the trumpet players would have been sitting with their backs to the control room window, next to the piano.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2014
    Kkfan likes this.
  2. Kkfan

Kkfan Forum Resident

I'm 43 and I'm stuck in the era between Jimmie Rodgers and Jim Reeves. My friends think I'm from another planet! Hardly anyone relates to my tastes. Thankfully, however, the person that matters the most, my wife, LOVES my music. She's 42. :)

.crystalised. likes this.
  3. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

a1.jpg 55 here.

artfromtex, Kkfan and .crystalised. like this.
  4. .crystalised.

I LOVE Jimmie Rodgers! I hope to find a partner some day who will share my passion for this extraordinary music just as your wife shares yours. Cheers :)

Kkfan likes this.
  5. .crystalised.

Do I recall you once having a signature that used to read "curmudgeonly?" I don't think 55 is old enough for that :D

Myke likes this.
  6. Kkfan

Kkfan Forum Resident

And don't forget Tupelo, MS. :D

Myke likes this.
  7. .crystalised.

Although, at 31 (going on 32 in June), I already feel curmudgeonly...so I get it ;)

I'm already yelling at clouds.

8. Kkfan

Kkfan Forum Resident

I sure hope you do. I firmly believe that for optimal compatibility a couple should share the same taste in music. Otherwise, their life "together" could (I'm not saying it would) seem a little disjointed.

This would be true especially during a nice, long road trip. In our case, we just switch on Willie's Roadhouse on Sirius XM, and leave it there. :)

9. .crystalised.

"Willie's Roadhouse" is the best! Just wish it was better quality... :/

Kkfan likes this.
  10. .crystalised.

I'm surprised they allowed smoking in the studio.

11. emmoashdad

emmoashdad Well-Known Member

This may be my favorite thread that I've seen on here in a while.

While I see people posting there ages, at 40, I'm glad to see I'm not alone in my tastes of music.

The artists from this era were genuine and didn't have all the studio gimmeckry that we have today to make them sound better, it was pure talent.

Kkfan and .crystalised. like this.
  12. .crystalised.

Thanks, emmo! Really appreciate that. Happy to know another classic music aficionado is folded into these ranks :)

13. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident

From the photos that you see of studios during the 50's and 60's, it seems as if about most everyone is smoking. Can't imagine the sticky buildup on the electronics in the control rooms back then.

14. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident

Thanks MYKE, that was a pretty funny write-up.

I recall back in the early 90's, I saw Leon perform at a small club in Knoxville, TN. I was a big fan, and it was the first time that I had ever seen him. It was a small club, and probably wasn't more that 200-300 there, yet it was pretty full. I had a couple of his cds with me, and considered approaching him after the show as he went to his bus. Being the bashful type, I decided against it.

The next morning, I was headed up I-75 about 20 miles out of Knoxville, and saw his bus broken down. Cell phones weren't as prevalent at that time, and I didn't have one. I considered pulling over to offer assistance or to see if there was anything I could do, but since I can't work on large diesel engines and didn't have a phone, I went on.

I've often wondered if I had bothered to pull over and knock on the bus door, if I would have actually seen Leon? It was a bit strange, and if I hadn't seen his bus the previous night, I'd have never recognized it. There was nothing to indicate that it was a musician's bus.

Kkfan, .crystalised. and Myke like this.
  15. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

I'm 41. Next year is going to be weird because I'll be the same age that Elvis was when he died. To think that I'll soon be older than Elvis ever was is going to be really strange. He's always been like a father type figure to me, if that makes a lick of sense. I have intellectually known, of course, that he died a young man, but, to me, he has always been this omnipresent being in my life.

16. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

17. george nadara

george nadara Forum Resident

Elvis ticket stub 100x.jpg

Mine

JLGB, Kkfan, artfromtex and 1 other person like this.
  18. george nadara

george nadara Forum Resident

P1010016.jpg

The Steinway piano. It's shown in several photos in this thread, posts #19, #27, and #123. It's the original piano bought for the studio and can accurately be called "the Floyd Cramer piano."

"Last Date" from 1960...

19. .crystalised.

I had similar feelings when I turned over to 30, about Patsy. She accomplished so much in so little an amount of time. What do I have? A YouTube channel with 80 subscribers. I realize it's how one lives and not what they do, but still. Man, there's no Elvis or Patsy left in this world.

20. .crystalised.

george nadara likes this.
  21. .crystalised.

In many radio stations, you'd often see "NO SMOKING" signs in the studio. But at Victor and the Quonset Hut, it seems that anything goes, so long as they got a great master.

22. .crystalised.

A great musician. Forever immortalized on songs such as Patsy's "Crazy".
    "Last Date" was definitely recorded at Victor Studio B. Can tell by the sonics.
    What brand piano did Owen's studio have? Also a New York Steinway?

23. .crystalised.

24. .crystalised.

Here's some great work from Floyd on an Elvis classic:

8:20 - Aw, that was the best opening I had, all.
    8:39 - What the hell are you all doing? Hey Gene, we're in the middle of a take, man! We're in the middle of a take, fellas, if you all hurry the hell up! Dumb ****.

artfromtex and george nadara like this.
  25. Belsnickel

Belsnickel Forum Resident

I wonder if Bea had any influence on Jim's decision to go with the toupee? I recall that he was advised that he would have to always wear it if he chose that route.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.