Nashville RCA Studio B footage. Incredible!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by .crystalised., Mar 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Belsnickel

Belsnickel Forum Resident

skeeter studio b.JPG

The Country Hall of Fame typically snubs the great Skeeter Davis whose 5 grammy nominated recordings were all products of Studio B. One of the 4 males in the 1959 Grammy "country category" won but considering that Skeeter was the sole female nominated that year she could have won a female country Grammy for "Set Him Free".

Dan C, Kkfan and .crystalised. like this.
  2. .crystalised.

.crystalised. Forum Resident Thread Starter

Jim wears a toupee? Man, I couldn't even tell. Patsy would wear blonde wigs at some of her concerts. Not sure why she did that.

3. .crystalised.

She'll get there. Eventually.

4. .crystalised.

Who won best female artist in 1959?

5. Belsnickel

I should have written more clearly. There wasn't a separate male or female award initially. Country was sort of like "race" music and not considered worthy of more than 1 award.

6. Belsnickel

I do hope you are right. I recall seeing Skeeter Davis sing "The End of the World" at the brnd spanking new Detroit Cobo Arena as a kid, and Patsy Cline & Dottie West at a State Fair show. (No, it wasn't Loretta Lynn as she would have us believe.) Skeeter was hugely instrumental in popularizing country music.

Kkfan and .crystalised. like this.
  7. .crystalised.

Ah, gotcha. Yes, I'm not surprised the Grammy organization considered it a "niche" market. Label executives did at that time, also. Don't know who won in 1959, but I think Peggy Lee did in 1960 for Latin a la Lee. Or she was at least nominated. Jack Marshall, who took her arrangement credits, won for Fever in 1958. Even in the pop industry, males were still taking all the credit.

I'm sure Ella took the award, as usual, though I'm still at a loss as to why. Fitzgerald is great for background music, but she really doesn't get into the lyrics of her songs. Zero emotional involvement.

8. .crystalised.

I may have a newspaper clipping of the performance on my Patsy Cline discography. I'll have to check for you.

Belsnickel likes this.
  9. .crystalised.

I don't think I've heard "Set Him Free". I'll have to look it up. Not too familiar with Skeeter. Only song I know is "End of The World", and a duet performance with Bobby Bare on "Let It Be Me" from the Pet Milk TV show.

Belsnickel likes this.
  10. .crystalised.

Hey Bels, I just noticed you updated your avatar. Congrats to your home state for legalizing same-sex marriage.

11. Belsnickel

Skeeter co-wrote "Set Him Free" and it was her first solo smash in 1959. That got her a slot on the Grand Ole Opry and she joined Ernest Tubb's tour. She married Ralph Emory in 1960 and had a string of successes. Chet resuscitated her career after the reformed Davis Sisters flopped after BJ's death. Check out 1953's "I Forgot More Than You'll Ever Know" and also it's flip "Rock-A-
    Bye Boogie" which many regard as the first Rockabilly record (I think our host thinks that too). Her first solo album "I'll Sing You a Song & Harmonize Too" was produced by Chet Atkins in superb Living Stereo in 1960. It's still on my all-time favorite list. It's country through and through with not one Anita Kerr chorus! It's just Skeeter singing with herself a la Patti Page.

12. Belsnickel

Thank you for the acknowledgement. I never thought I would see this day in my lifetime. My partner is chomping at the bit and I'm telling him to hold his horses!

vanhooserd and .crystalised. like this.
  13. .crystalised.

I really wish the Supreme Court had the power to step in and force the entire Union to legalize marriage equality. I thought that would happen after Prop 8 was redacted in California. Guess not.

empirelvr and vanhooserd like this.
  14. .crystalised.

Victor Studio B's "Living Stereo" really is superb, largely thanks to the talented Bill Porter!

15. Belsnickel

Bill Porter engineered Skeeter's work - he was effective at capturing her keening and plaintive voice. I think she was exceptional at picking material and her performances were always touching to me. Their echo chamber was outstanding - it sort of reminded me of the Motown snake pit's echo chamber.

Dan C, .crystalised. and Kkfan like this.
  16. Belsnickel

I think many of us agree with you. Ruth Ginsberg said that she didn't want to impose a decision like "Roe vs Wade" where the country picks it apart for years. She wanted it to work itself up from the states one by one to "take" more permanently. I can understand that but it certainly wreaks havoc with lives.

.crystalised. likes this.
  17. george nadara

george nadara Forum Resident

PM me if you will, I'm having no luck contacting you.

18. chaz

chaz Senior Member

Here's a video I took on a tour of Studio B a few years ago. Be sure to watch Part 2 as well.

19. Kkfan

Kkfan Forum Resident

I know exactly what you mean because I felt exactly the same way when I passed the oldest age Elvis ever got.

artfromtex and .crystalised. like this.
  20. Belsnickel

I've got my father's "Opry Program" with Skeeter's photo that he bought at Cobo - my uncle took us to the show as we were visiting from Pennsylvania at that time. My uncle lived in Detroit since 1951 and actually met BJ & Skeeter when they were resident artists at WJR and Fortune records. I think he heard them live.

21. george nadara

Waylon Jennings RCA Studio B 19 March 1965 (Jerry Reed holding coffee).jpg

Waylon Jennings and Chet Atkins at RCA Studio B on 19 March 1965. Jerry Reed holds the cup.

22. .crystalised.

Check out that perfectly slick hair!

Kkfan likes this.
  23. george nadara

Phil Everly, Bill Porter, Don Everly, Ray Edenton, Floyd Cramer RCA Studio B August 1961.jpg

Phil Everly, Bill Porter, Don Everly, Ray Edenton, and Floyd Cramer at RCA Studio B in August 1961

Mal, EasterEverywhere, Dan C and 5 others like this.
  24. .crystalised.

Wow!

25. george nadara

Just remembered: a neighbor of mine who is about 73-years-old, knew Elvis Presley in Memphis prior to Elvis recording at Sun Studios. My neighbor is critiquing details in Guralnick's Last Train To Memphis: The Rise of Elvis Presley. It certainly is interesting if not odd to hear firsthand stories. My neighbor was literally at the birth of Presley the public musician and of rock and roll.

artfromtex, Kkfan and .crystalised. like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.