Record Store Day 2014 - Saturday 19th April

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jimod99, Jan 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pats Radio

Pats Radio A Doors Enthusiast

Not sure SoundAdvice but I'm trying to find out.

2. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Well, plenty of lps are still being cut from analog tape but certainly not anything resembling a majority.

In saying that, many of the RSD releases are high resolution masters and that is fine. Most sound really good and that is all that matters. The last Doors RSD release fits into this category - cut by The Mastering Lab.

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  3. Bull Moose

Bull Moose Well-Known Member

Apple-Richard is right. Sundazed was mono and this new one is stereo. I think that Little Games has a little more cred than Roger The Engineer, probably because of Jimmy Page is on it. I totally agree that a reissue of Roger The Engineer would be great.

Not now. They were cancelled when the box set was cancelled.

Vinyl_Blues and apple-richard like this.
  4. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

5. Obtuse1

Obtuse1 Forum Resident

Looks like they've added a Pixies release (from www.recordstoreday.com):

[​IMG]

"The Pixies have just announced the release of their FIRST NEW ALBUM SINCE 1991’s Trompe Le Monde, and it’s coming out on April 29. And if that makes you giddy, you might just be over the edge when we tell you that a special Record Store Day double-vinyl version of that new album, INDIE CINDY, will be available on 4/19 at participating record stores."

levi and J_D__ like this.
  6. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

Wow. Sorry I am excited about RSD and passionate about the bands I love. Must suck to be so soulless.

AZRunner, thebunk and JoeRockhead like this.
  7. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

Nah, quite happy and completely soulless.

8. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

Oh, here comes the robot bashing (hums We Shall Overcome).

9. nodeerforamonth

Doesn't sound it. Sounds like you need a hug!

10. nodeerforamonth

Yeah, that's it. Single me out...

11. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

Does anyone have any more information on the Public Enemy release? Is it the same pressing found in the recent box set??

12. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

Once again, even with those additions, personally, I'll still vote for it being "The Worst", as there's not a single thing I'm excited about in this year's RSD.

13. nodeerforamonth

Different strokes, I guess. I got ten times the amount of things on my list than I have for any previous other RSD. It will probably be better for my wallet if I can't get most of it. It's all good...

Thurenity and levi like this.
  14. nodeerforamonth

That's for that list.

Any advice on how to go about "bugging your stores"? Every store I tried, I get "I dunno" or "I haven't seen/heard of that" and then a 5 minute lecture on how RSD works and how I have no say in what they buy and they have no say in what they actually get and preorders aren't allowed. When I mention how I want more of the obscure stuff, they say they don't see it on the list or can't get imports (and these are established stores that have been around for decades).

I guess it's going to be eBay for me if I have any money left over after ransacking the stores.

Gems-A-Bems likes this.
  15. Scott Wheeler

Nah, I get more than I need.

16. Scott Wheeler

My list is frighteningly long. way beyond any previous RSDs.

17. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

The above has definitely been my experience in multiple stores

18. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

My local store in Western Canada couldn't find the Tears For Fears on the order form and are now trying to get last minute copies.

19. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

First off,make a physical copy of RSD's PDF.The PDF seperates titles in three categories:Exclusives,Limited/Local runs and titles availalbe later but available on RSD first time.Let the store know that you plan to be at the store on RSD,ready to buy.This is not bugging.Then,when pointing out a particular item,note your interest;you would buy one if they had one.Remember that stores are gambling with this stuff.Many stores have to pay in full every ordered item,plus freight, before they receive anything.It is non-returnable.They eat defective items.The mark-up on this stuff isn't as great as one would think.It ain't prepared food or clothing,where the mark-up astounds and can cover mistakes.What they are selling is what every store is selling.Any established store that has participated in past RSDs has unsold stuff around.Will another RSD make that stuff fly off the shelf?The rent,the other merchandise,the employees,taxes,the utilities,even last month's snowstorms-that is part of what store owners go through every day.
    As for the "can't get imports",that is usually a decision made by management that they "won't" get imports.Sometimes with good reason.If regular product is a crapshoot,product from a far away place is a crapshoot times ten.The very fact that that a store is "established" and "around for decades"may be because they didn't make too many stupid mistakes in their history.I like to use a baseball analogy.In baseball,if you come to bat and make an out seven times out of ten times consistantly for years,they put you in the Hall of Fame as one of the best.In retail,screwing up seven out of ten times means out of business.

nodeerforamonth likes this.
  20. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Theres couple items Im going to check and get if they are available.

21. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

Is that right? Stores can't even return defects? Sounds like a win-win.

22. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I thought that too and mentioned it to one local store and they said that wasn't the case. If an item is defective he can return it. It made me feel a little better about buying new releases from him. I didn't ask about RSD in particular, it was a general conversation about new defective releases on vinyl.

23. nodeerforamonth

Thanks jimac. Some good ideas I'm going to try if it's not too late.

24. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

RSD is a lot of work for record stores so I can see why some might have the attitude that you describe. They probably have a more than one customer asking about certain titles and I'm sure every year some stores get customers who ask if they can pre-order. I'm not suggesting you were of course, just generally they probably field a lot of questions about RSD and likely don't want to deal with them all.

I expect you might have better luck with stores that you're a regular customer of. The approach I would take is asking if they intend on ordering a particular title. It's a crap shoot but if you know they ordered in an item you want there is a better chance they'll have it and hence you can target that store on RSD. Also, try and pick a time when they might not be busy. Also ask the stores with the nicest staff first. :)

A couple of record stores here in town ask what customers what they're looking for. They usually do their regular order but if there was a title they thought no one was interested in but is then asked for they'll try and get it in. There are no guarantees that they'll get it of course.

They also put out a list of stuff they ordered and in some cases mark off the ones they know have been shipped. One store will update the list the day before once stock has been received. It's really helpful and as a result I tend to go to one of these first. I also tend to go to them during the non-RSD too :)

25. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

Gems-A-Bems and aseriesofsneaks like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.