Record Store Day 2014 - Saturday 19th April

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jimod99, Jan 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aseriesofsneaks

aseriesofsneaks Forum Resident

I know it's a long shot, but I would love it if this included the flexidisc containing their cover of Adam and the Ants' "Cleopatra" that had accompanied the original UK vinyl pressing.

2. oojavaguru

oojavaguru Forum Resident

Some late additions to the RSD lineup:

• Armand Schaubroeck Steals
    God Made The Blues To Kill Me 10"

Details:

It is the first release from our label owner's band, Armand Schaubroeck Steals, in over 30 years! The release is a 10" single for his song "God Made The Blues To Kill Me!" This release will be limited to 750 copies worldwide and also includes a CD, postcard, and limited ed. guitar pick! Will include a special mix of the song on the B-side that will be exclusive to this release! The single will be promoting his upcoming full length LP. Armand Schaubroeck Steals has been praised by Julian Cope, of Teardrop Explodes, in his latest book, Copendium: The Expedition into the Rock n' Roll Underworld and even has a chapter dedicated to the band. A song of Armand's was even included on the soundtrack to the book. Armand Schaubroeck is most known for his cult LP, "A Lot Of People Would Like To See Armand Schaubroeck...DEAD." which is a 3 LP set documenting his early life in jail, and also the cult LP, "Rat****er." The new single is sure to get fans excited for the upcoming full length release.

• Pine Hill Haunts 7"
    • Pine Hill Haunts CD (same tracks as the 7", plus 3 bonus tracks from Japan and 2 unreleased tracks)
    • Pink Skull Lean Plate - Turkish Delight LP
    • Public Enemy Evil Empire of Everything 2LP (1st time on vinyl, comes with calendar)
    • Schenker, Michael Bridge the Gap--Signed Edition LP
    Details: Deluxe limited autographed edition of Michael Schenker’s return to the major leagues, featuring bonus song with vocals by Don Dokken! Michael Schenker’s best set of songs in ages! Features bonus song with vocals by Don Dokken. Band consists of ex-Scorpions Herman Rarebell and Francis Buchholz, plus ex-Rainbow members Doogie White and Wayne Findlay. Marks the first time Schenker, Rarebell, and Buchholz appeared on the same album together since the Scorpions’ 1979 album Lovedrive!

• Various Artists Desert Rats with Baseball Bats II LP
    Details:

• Vinyl compilation showcasing the best bands of the Las Vegas punk scene.
    • Limited edition green vinyl. Only 500 copies pressed.
    • Includes digital download card.
    • From established punk legends like The Gashers and The Civilians to up-and-coming bands like Unfair Fight, Battle Born, and War Called Home, it’s all original, all punk, and all Vegas!
    • Wittman, Duane Vesti La Guibba 12"
    Details: First Ever Classical / EDM release for Record Store Day. Experience the rebirth of an old classic now with “Vesti la giubba.” This Limited Edition, colored vinyl, 12” Single features the passionate Golden Era style vocals of operatic powerhouse Duane Wittman in combination with the heart-thumping new life of EDM visionary DJ, Broz Rodriguez.

Other notes:

* The King Kong 7" is on blue vinyl and limited to 1000 copies, each numbered
    * The Bullitt soundtrack is limited to 1000 copies, each numbered
    * The Pixies release will be unique/different than the standard release with the following from the sell sheet to stores:

"...this album is going to be released on vinyl 10 days early on Record Store Day (4/19). Not only will the album be released 10 days early, but the 2xLP RSD Exclusive will have exclusive content you don't want to miss out on. The exclusive contents inside this vinyl offering will be revealed soon!"

3. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

Nice that the Jimi Monterey LP is all analog by Bernie!

4. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

Steep list price on Bullitt OST. $34. Better be a nice remaster.

5. Only interested in this if the 'exclusive content' is Kim Deal playing on the record.

Parkertown likes this.
  6. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

Correct me if I'm wrong but the exclusive content isn't even exclusive to the album. Isn't the album just the EPs collected together.

7. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Packaging and the bonus live cd are exclusive the album proper. There's only 3,000 of the vinyl EPs, so I wouldn't worry about it.

8. lowellmorris

lowellmorris Forum Resident

Too bad the Odessey and Oracle release is in stereo. I'd love to have a mono copy on vinyl.

9. Agreed!

10. ginchopolis

ginchopolis Forum Resident

Lazy.

11. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

Interesting piece from Kudos, UK distributor:

http://www.kudosdistribution.co.uk/record-store-day-2014-frustration/

I don't do Record Store Day, but will try to pick up one of the Kudos releases afterwards, the Jef Gilson box on Jazzman:

http://www.recordstoreday.com/SpecialRelease/7157

12. Bull Moose

Bull Moose Well-Known Member

Coupla things here.

It would be helpful to note that the unofficial titles are unofficial for a reason. Sometimes there isn't anything unique about them. Other times nobody bothers to tell RSD about them (seriously!)

The third reason, and one that is very important here is that they sometimes they don't have a good distribution plan. One of the requirements is that the titles be made available through one of three "middleman" type distributors called one stops. Every store that is serious about selling new music buys from at least one of them. This requirement is how we make sure the smaller stores can participate. Whether you're too small to buy directly from Sony or don't sell enough punk rock or hip hop to buy from a specialty distributor, you can get their RSD releases. What happens when titles are oversold is another question, but at least this gives every store the chance to at least order. All vendors of the official titles have store-friendly policies, which again means that all stores have a chance.

Because of that, it's likely that the stores you tried truly can't get the titles you asked about. I'm sorry if they were crabby about it.

To eddiel's point about starting with the stores where you shop regularly, that's exactly right. They will learn your taste (or the collective taste of your community) and that will help them decide how many copies of which titles to order. It's really hard to guess that someone who doesn't buy an artist's regular releases will want an RSD piece. It happens a lot, and it starts to make sense after a while. That Jaco release will be like that this year. I think it's going to be the first Jaco title some people will ever buy.

You might get lucky with those imports. Some of them will find their way into the US and stores that buy from the right sources might have a chance to get them if they happen to be at their desk when the email comes in. A few days ago a distributor said that they were going to get 50 copies of a certain foreign RSD title. Fifty, as in one per state. They said it was first come, first served with a limit of one per store. I happened to see the email in time so some of our locations probably will have it. If we were smaller and I had to work on the sales floor and , we would have been shut out. Anyway, the point is, it's Hard!

RSD officially "discourages" stores from taking requests, but stores can do it if they want to risk taking a request for something they might not get. I believe that "discourage" really is the word. There isn't a total ban on taking requests, the way there is for jacking up the price online after RSD. That will get a store kicked out.

Chris

Paully likes this.
  13. BrookvalePhil

BrookvalePhil Well-Known Member

I think you meant "will" be cool. ;) Remember, this 40th anniversary reissue of Quah has been fully remastered for vinyl from the original reels by Jeffrey Norman. We're also pressing a very limited edition run (500) of the album on Yellow & Red Split vinyl exclusively for our retail outlet on Long Island, Looney Tunes CDs. Read more here.

[​IMG]

This variant will only be available inside LTCDs on RSD.

BUT... at midnight on 4/20 this item will be put up for sale to the general public on the store's website. Unless someone comes in and buys all 500, of course...

14. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I gotta get one of those!

15. Jgirar01

Jgirar01 Forum Resident

I am so glad the Neil Young boxset was postponed. I will not be up early and have committed to myself to stick with that. Limited release, only 500 and only in this store, flippers buying so they can sell to the masses that don't live near a record store at inflated prices. This will be my first no show, unless the free beer lures me in!

16. Bull Moose

Bull Moose Well-Known Member

According to another thread here, the original mono mixes are gone, so if you want the release to be as historically accurate as possible, it's got to be stereo. Varese Sarabande was kind enough to send this to me for my preview video. The back has the original artwork (supposedly - I don't have an original.) Those who generally prefer the sound of vinyl to CD will be happy with this record. Are people interested in a comparison between this LP and Varese Sarabande's CD or would you rather make up your minds when you buy it in a few weeks?

17. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

It was slated for 3,500 copies and with the 150.00 price tag I doubt there would be much flipping on this one

18. Thanks for the extra info!

Bull Moose likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.