Beck - Mellow Gold on Simply Vinyl: Authorized Sound, Yukimu Corporation?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by havenz, Mar 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. havenz

havenz Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi Everyone,
    This is my first new thread, but first I must say that being a member of this site has been very informative, enjoyable, and helpful in answering many questions about vinyl collecting.

My question today is about a copy of Beck's "Mellow Gold" I recently acquired on Simply Vinyl. Both from experience and different threads on this site, I know how spotty this company can be. But this copy is slightly different in that it has both the silver Simply Vinyl sticker and one that states "Authorized Sound, Imported by Yukimu Corporation" (picture attached). I have seen this company associated with other vinyl records with OBI labels, but apart from that, cannot find any other specific information. It bears mentioning that this vinyl was imported to the US from Japan.

The sound quality to my ears is quite good aside from the fact that the volume is slightly low. I have yet to update my equipment page, and will do so soon, but in the meanwhile, technology I am using is as follows:
    Technics SL-1210 MK2 (turntable)
    Audio Technica ATN-95e (cartridge and needle)
    JCPenney - MCS Series 3222 Stereo Receiver (inherited from my father, I love it...)
    Panasonic - Thrusters (speakers)

I hope someone can shed some light on this mysterious decal...

Thanks in advance!
    Best - Scott

photo1.jpg

2. Stefano G.

Stefano G. Ab alto, speres alteri quod feceris.

Hi havenz, well: I think that simply in a first time your copy was imported in Japan by Yukimu Corp (http://www.yukimu.net/) and then exported from Japan to U.S....nothing strange; Simply Vinyl released this version in UK in 1998 and some copies were exported around the world; but your copy is exactly like all the other copies of "Mellow Gold" by Simply Vinyl.

floyd likes this.
  3. havenz

Thanks Stephano!

Good to know. I thought that maybe this company had some sort of reputation for importing quality vinyl, and that maybe the sticker might indicate that the sound quality on this Simply Vinyl release was better than others.

With that in mind, do you or anyone else in this forum own this repress? If so, would you be interested int speaking to the sound quality on this release?

Thanks in advance!
    Best - Scott

4. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I didn't know there was a repress! This is good to know and original copies go for around $80. May I ask what the repress cost? I keep waiting for Beck to re-release this on vinyl but he's dead silent on the issue.

5. onionmaster

onionmaster Tropical new waver from the future

I don't personally know anything about this reissue, but it's worth pointing out that some (but not all) copies of the Bong Load original have a longer version of Pay No Mind with an extra verse that doesn't appear anywhere else.

6. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Didn't know that. God, I would like a copy. Come on, Beck.

7. Stefano G.

I can confirm that many importers and record stores had and have the habit of affixing a sticker with their logo on their products: I can also say that the editions of Simply Vinyl are special because of the characteristic dust jacket; in particular, the rectangular silver (or gold) sticker characterizes the issues of the 90's (the latest editions have round sticker). However, if the wax is not scratched, I think you made a good buy: it is rather uncommon to see the Simply Vinyl reissue of "Mellow Gold" ....

8. havenz

@chadbang: I was able to bring this one in for around $50 + another $15 for shipping. It was still a bit pricey but worth it for me as I "mistakenly" sold my original when I needed money for rent when times were a bit tougher...

@onionmaster: I'm not sure about this version... What is the running time on the extended version of Pay No Mind?

@stefano: By my eyes and ears, this wax has never been played and sounds pretty magnificent. Glad to hear that it was a decent purchase; I'm very happy with it and would highly recommend it to anyone who happens upon a copy.

Thanks everyone! I'm trying to establish some sort review and dialog around this reissue as I have not been able to find out much about it on the web.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
  9. Stefano G.

Havenz, I'll give you an advice, if I may: do not store your vinyl inside the transparent PVC envelope that Simply Vinyl provides: after some time the vinyl becomes opaque and the listening quality is compromised; then, be careful!

10. onionmaster

onionmaster Tropical new waver from the future

Upon listening to it, it's actually a different take entirely. It runs 2:57 which is shorter than the original, but can be distinguished by Beck's count in "2, 3, 4" at the start.

The bonus verse is sung between the usual first and second verses:

"Somebody burned down the picnic
    Somebody kissed their own ass by mistake
    The cliches are turning into people
    With a greeting card glued to their face"

There's a somewhat hissy video of the actual record playing here:

I have a better rip if anyone wants to PM me for it.

More info on the great fansite Whiskeyclone:

http://whiskeyclone.net/ghost/songinfo.php?songID=218

11. havenz

Thanks Stephano! Just pulled it from the sleeve to preserve it.

And, thanks for the info Onionmaster. That version sounds great!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.