Jazz reissues on Poll Winners Records - Any good ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by moops, May 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moops

moops Senior Member Thread Starter

2. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

If I'm not mistaken this is one of those European "grey" labels that take advantage of the European Union's 50-year copyright laws and don't have access to source material (like master tapes) for their releases.

3. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Hans is correct. Good value I guess, but not a route I'd recommend.

4. moops

moops Senior Member Thread Starter

Might avoid then hey ? The discs I've seen have been sealed so I couldn't get a look at the disc itself or the booklet. They don't look like your standard budget disc though ......

5. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Well, in the US they're not really legitimate. Doesn't seem to stop any stores from selling them, I find all that so weird, it's hard to say "don't buy them" when they're for sale here in many places.

Not sure about the laws in Australia, the legality is probably not an issue. They probably are nicely packaged and probably sound good enough, I've never seen one with the cellophane removed or heard one. But as mentioned by J. A. W. above these are borrowed re-masterings or some sort of transfer that is not from the original tapes, etc. They may not be the best they could be from a legitimate source for the material. Still, it's your money and your choice, and the music itself is recommended.

6. Claude

Claude Senior Member

The strange thing about those public domain reissues is that they are often more expensive than the reissues from the original label.

More and more PD labels are using the original covers of the 1950s albums they reissue, which is a clear violation of copyright law, because the copyright on cover design or photos expires only 70 years after the death of the creator.

BTW, here are two lists of reissues from the Poll winners label (with more appropriate pricing):

http://www.jazzmessengers.com/ecommerce/categories/categories.cfm?id=1849
    http://www.the-woods.co.uk/html/poll_winners_records.php

7. Doron P.

Doron P. New Member

I saw yesterday that they reissued Dexter Gordon's "Go! + A Swinging Afair".
    I was very happy, since Rudy Van Gelder's remastered "Go" from 99 is awful: it is not really stereo sound!!
    I know that the stereo version exists, I could find one track on a collection CD.
    So, I rushed to buy the new reissue.
    guess what? it is as non-stereo as the Gelder's reissue... a waste of 10 EU...
    I assume that they used the 99 version. Now, would the 50 years copyright laws hold also for
    the use a newly (aif this is indeed identical) remastered version from 14 years ago?

8. pibroch1234

pibroch1234 Forum Resident

9. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Even though it was most likely sourced from existing CDs? As was said earlier these European public-domain labels do not have access to original sources like mastertapes and they use existing sources like CDs and often mess around with EQ, compression, etc. You'd be better off with the official CDs that were released by the labels that own the recordings.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.