David Letterman to retire in 2015. Stephen Colbert to take over.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Poor Napoleon, Apr 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Poor Napoleon

Poor Napoleon Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. deadbirdie

deadbirdie Senior Member

I wonder if Craig will get the gig.

3. stever

stever Senior Member

Who's gonna replace him to compete with Fallon and Kimmel?

4. I say he should give Vince Vaughn a call, he's been getting involved with TV production as of late and has shown he could handle the gig.

Also, Vaughn is of an age and temperament that would probably go head-to-head well against Fallon and Kimmel.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
  5. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

wow..I'm kind of sad about this. Dave will always be my favorite.

6. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

I had a feeling we'd hear this today. Don't ask how. I mean, it was obviously gonna happen, but I'm sad.

7. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

Last nights show w/Martha Stewart, Bill Murry & Lady GaGa was bizarre and Dave was not feeling well, as his voice was giving out all night. Wonder what is up, if anything?

8. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

No contest. A Man from Chicago, up against a powderpuff, and an unfunny cross-eyed dork. I'd choose Vince in a heartbeat.

9. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

I thought he would wait a little longer to make the announcement but I guess this is really no surprise.

I hope he has a fun last year and I expect he will be #1 for his last shows.

AKA likes this.
  10. AKA

AKA Senior Member

David Letterman has been in late night television since I was a year and a half old, and I've been a fan since his NBC days. Television is going to be very different without him.

11. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

Craig almost seems too... I dunno, 'oddball' for the 11:30 crowd. I think the earlier crowd might not get a robot announcer and 'in your face' monologues.

But, I felt the same way about Fallon, and he's doing alright. He has "THIS IS NOT THE TONIGHT SHOW!" naysayers, but on the whole people seem to accept him.

12. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Man, this news is traveling fast. Apparently an audience member at today's taping Tweeted it.

I discovered his Late Night show around '83, I was 13 or so. I felt like I was in a secret club. His comedy was so out there, so brilliant, so different than anything on TV at the time. Those old clips still stand the test of time, while most comedy pushing 30-years old is barely watchable. He is a genius.

dan c

13. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Stewart/Conan both have contracts that come up at the same time.

If I was Craig I'd be more worried about what happens between Letterman's production company Universal Pants and CBS. Craig will stay on the air but new bosses might start meddling.

14. SoundAdvice

He seems uninterested in the position. 11:30 would ruin his show.

TheLazenby likes this.
  15. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Those would be logical candidates.

misterdecibel likes this.
  16. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

While many people sided with Conan during the Tonight Show debacle a few years ago, Conan's ratings while hosting The Tonight Show weren't very good...so it's unlikely CBS would hire him for that time slot.

Jon Stewart would make for a good host, but he's likely too political in tone to get a network talk show. I doubt he'd have the same level of "freedom" he enjoys if he went from Comedy Central to a major network. (Not to mention that his previous effort at a more conventional talk show format wasn't successful.) Plus, I think he works well in his existing 30-minute format...it's the right amount of time for him and his writers to deliver a strong show without wearing out his welcome.

The best thing CBS can do is find someone young, who can bring an originality to the show similar to what Dave brought back in 1982 to the original Late Night show. They don't have to be a household name...just someone with the energy and drive to make the Late Show interesting again. A youthful presence would also help to cultivate a young audience who would grow up with the program, just as many of us grew up with Letterman's show.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
    Jrr and Myke like this.
  17. What makes you think Dave is going to give up Worldwide Pants??? Just because he's stepping down from his own show doesn't mean he won't remain a force behind the cameras...

18. If his previous attempt at a general-interest late-night talk show is any indication, chances are he would stink. Besides, as you indicate, he would come with too much baggage.

19. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

wow, I called that one and I don't even watch him that much.

20. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

I don't think he would stink, since he's much more experienced at delivering a show than he was back then. But I don't think CBS and Stewart would likely agree on the tone of the program...since Stewart gets a lot of his laughs by skewering political figures. Plus, I doubt Stewart would get a lot of enjoyment by interviewing lightweight entertainers who offer up little for discussion.

21. gates69

gates69 Music Junkie

Loved Dave going back to the very beginning but I haven't seriously watched in years. I'm sure I will tune in from time to time now. The end of an era.

22. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I figured once Jay retired Dave wouldn't be far behind...

Vince Vaughn would be great.

Myke likes this.
  23. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

Mike Mills of REM was the original tweeter to break the news. how cool is that?

24. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

Ugh, Vince Vaughan? I just threw up a little thinking about that....

I vote for Craig, he's the only late night talk show host I watch anyway.

goodiesguy likes this.
  25. SoundAdvice

Without Dave on the air he's got less bargaining power. We'll see.

CO and JS are both about 51 years old. A decade older than Fallon and 5 years older than Kimmel.

Stewart wouldn't get much of a change in salary and would get his politics softened/castrated. Plus he's get a bigger workload when he's got young kids. other than ego, what's the upside for him. His other show was 20 years ago for a specific demographic and not very related to this discussion.

Conan is win-win, but only if he can pull audience numbers. I'd think that moving back to NYC is doable for his crew/wife.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.