Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around. Same release?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dianos, Apr 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dianos

dianos Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. Stefano G.

Stefano G. Ab alto, speres alteri quod feceris.

These are, respectively, the American and the European editions: very often (almost always) two releases are pressed almost simultaneously: one for the U.S. market and one for the European market to be able to better cover the two geographical areas without the need for export and import.

Sometimes the two editions have the same barcode; in this case the barcode is different, according to indicate more or less significant differences between the two releases.

The American one, was cut by Chris Bellman and pressed at Quality Record Pressings.
    The European one, was cut by Chris Bellman and pressed at G.Z.

What happened? after the Bellman's cutting job, probably some mothers and/or stampers remained in the U.S. and were used by the Q.R.P. pressing plant, while others were sent to Europe at the G.Z pressing plant to allow the pressing in Europe.

3. dianos

Ok so it's more a question of which factory product the best hardware (QRP Vs G.Z) and has the highest QC. I have no idea on that part but will start off with the EU version then. Thanks :)

4. Stefano G.

Yes, I think that both editions are excellent; probably the lacquer and father plating job was done at the Q.R.P. (by Gary Salstrom?); but the G.Z. pressing plant also has a quality standard pretty high.

5. Chris B

Chris B Forum Resident

Hi All,

Wanted to let you know that 2 sets of lacs were cut. One for QRP and one for GZ.

Enjoy, CB

6. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

Wow, thank you for the info Mr. Bellman! It's strange to see your initials in the computer screen instead the deadwax of some of my (favorite) records. :righton:

Vinyl Addict and Stefano G. like this.
  7. dianos

I'm not into the technical details so a little help in what this means would be greatly appreciated :)

8. Stefano G.

Many thanks for infos, Mr. Bellman.

9. Stefano G.

Well dianos, it's not every day that a mastering engineer in the level of Mr. Bellman was kind enough to answer to a forum member: I'd say you were lucky!

However the facts are in this way: Mr. Bellman cut two sets of lacquers (there are always 2 lacquers per album: one lacquer for the A side and one lacquer for the B side) regarding "The Man Comes Around"; one set of lacquers was sent from Bernie Grundman Mastering Studios to Q.R.P. pressing plant (in Salina, Kansas), and the other set was sent to G.Z pressing plant in Europe (in Czech Republic).

Probably both sets of lacquers were cut using the same settings ( equalization and compression, for example).

The Q.R.P. plated its set of lacquers and so generated one father and, following the plating of the father, a certain number of mothers and stampers to press a certain amount of vinyl to be distributed in the U.S. market and the G.Z. pressing plant did the same thing regarding the European market.

Which was the source where Mr. Bellman cut the 2 sets of lacquers from? probably the same source used by Mr. Vlado Meller to master the first press.

I hope I have rebuilt everything exactly ....

Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
    mick_sh likes this.
  10. dianos

Thanks a lot everyone! The value of my purchase just increased by a factor 1000 and I will wake up tomorrow with a bit more knowledge about the black gold :righton:

11. Pkonz

Pkonz Forum Resident

Listening to Solitary Man, GZ pressing. Nice job Mr. Bellman. Thank you. Mercy Seat sends chills through my brain....

12. countingbackward

countingbackward Forum Resident

Strange that Amazon Canada is shipping out the GZ vinyl. A bit more surface noise than some of the other GZ vinyl I've gotten, but this is one fine sounding record.

Might I add, not being a big Johnny Cash fan myself, what an album this is. The way he lets that earthy voice of his drag out the phrasing so you can *feel* it…shivers down the spine, just incredible.

13. Stefano G.

Indeed, there are few albums that have an intensity and a personality at this level: "Lady in Satin" by Billie Holiday and a few others, I think.
    Mr. Rubin has managed to put in an album (and not only in this) all the "wrinkles" of the incredible life of Johnny Cash.

Utmost respect.

mick_sh likes this.
  14. mesaboogie

mesaboogie Forum Resident

I cannot imaging GZ pressing as good as QRP. Nothing I have from them is quiet.

15. Stefano G.

If you want to get an idea about how a vinyl record does born, perhaps you may find this video useful:

16. Stefano G.

Probably there are slight differences between the two editions: maybe that the U.S. edition, unlike the European version, does not contain the mp3 code to download the album; but I'm not sure.

17. schelti

schelti Forum Resident

I checked my US copy, definitely no download there.
    Both US and EU pressing don't have the 2 bonus songs (Streets Of Laredo and Big Iron) that were on the original 2LP pressing from 2002.

Stefano G. likes this.
  18. Stefano G.

Thanks schelti; I think you just gave us some interesting information.

19. Mr Olsen

Mr Olsen Granddanois

The new EU 2 LP pressing includes Streets of Laredo. Sounds great but the pressing could be quieter, at least one pop/tic on all four sides.

20. schelti

schelti Forum Resident

Thanks, I made a mistake. The missing bonus tracks are Witchita Lineman and Big Iron, I should not have mentioned Streets of Laredo.

Stefano G. likes this.
  21. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

These were well done all the way around. I have I-IV and need V. I have an original of VI but at some point will replace with the new cut.

I'm not sure who made the decision on these (Rick Rubin?) but I'm glad he used BGM and Chris Bellman and QRP (for US).

Highly recommended if you like Johnny Cash, great music and great mastering!

22. dianos

I have bought the whole American series (EU) and if all these are made by GZ then I have to say they are pretty bad in terms of visible quality. All have inner sleeves that release loads of paper stuff that is stuck on the record. The records are also very dirty and looks scratchy and more used than my 50 years old vinyls. All of them. The MOV pressing are miles ahead.. I'll give them a wash and hope they look better. But this should be easy to solve at low cost. I assume it's just a matter of what GZ really think it is important here. To me it's quantity and good price.. Not sure how the US version from QRP are but I would suggest these for those who can get them instead since I suspect they will be overall a bit better. At least they sound good.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2014
  23. mesaboogie

The US one I got is the first QRP pressing I have noticed that didn't come in good sleeves. No poly lined protection. Clearly the labels choice. But aside from that it was pressed well. I would recommend you seek out those if you really want clean pressings of these.

24. dianos

I have found American III on US pressing for delivery to EU so I will get this in a week or two and will feedback how it looks in comparison to GZ pressing.

25. mesaboogie

I have never seen a GZ pressing that impressed me. As long as it makes the trip and sleeves don't scuff it, it should be much better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.