Post pictures of your turntable lights/spotlights

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Blue Nile Fan, Mar 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blue Nile Fan

Blue Nile Fan Forum Resident Thread Starter

O.K. Forum - show us your turntable lights! Let's see pictures of those spot lights, reading lights, and any other light that illuminates your turntables. My table is near a corner where it is a bit dark. I think I am on the right track, but am curious what others are using. I was using just a small reading LED light, when I was working with my church group at another local church doing some painting, and saw they were throwing out some sanctuary furniture. On a pulpit was the really nice bulb light on a long, black gooseneck used to light up sermons on Sunday mornings - absolutely perfect for what I wanted it for.

Interested to see what you all have! Thanks and this should be fun.....

BNF

2. mikel

mikel Forum Resident

i own three of these LED lamps. they use minimal electricity, the LED bulbs last for 30,000 hours, they don't get hot, they have minimal mass so there is no danger of them tipping over onto your delicate tt/arm/cart, they are easy to adjust or rotate, and are nicely built. you can choose a bright or warm tone to the light, and they have a 5 position dimmer.

see the link below the picture.

[​IMG]

http://www.konceptech.com/itower.html

Mad shadows, PJC68, asilker and 20 others like this.
  3. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

mikel wins.

Jacob29, G E, mwb and 6 others like this.
  4. Mike in OR

Mike in OR Through Middle-earth...onto Heart of The Sunrise

Very nice indeed Mikel. :righton:

5. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

Mikel - seek help immediately!

Also as someone who appears to have a small inclination towards vinyl, I see a surprising number of CDs in the background...

:wave:

mwb and fitzrik like this.
  6. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

I've seen pics of your system on Audiogon and Audio Asylum. It always leaves me speechless. Want to adopt a grown man? :laugh:

7. mikel

mikel Forum Resident

my wife agrees i need help.

i have about 4000 CD's, and 1000 SACD's. however; for digital i mostly listen to my server (which is in another room conected to my DAC thru a Lynx AES 16 XLR sound card) which has 2000+ hi rez files plus 2000 of my CD's burned too. likely 80% of my digital listening is to the server.

i do have a little over 10,000 Lps and about 100 15ips 1/4" master dubs which i mostly listen to. analog rules!!!

i have about 3000 of my most listened to Lps in the listening room and the rest spread out in other rooms of my barn.

mwb and SandAndGlass like this.
  8. mikel

mikel Forum Resident

thanks Guys for the nice comments; i did not intend to de-rail the thread before it got started. i do really like my LED lamp and think it's the perfect turntable lamp.

many, many of my friends have purchased this lamp after seeing mine. it's the way to go.

mikel

9. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

I use tungsten halogen lights that I bought cheap and serve my purpose. I don't leave them on so energy consumption is not an issue and when I turn on the 'mood' lighting I use par 20 LED yellow spots which illuminate my turntables.

Nice setup Mikel.

10. WntrMute2

WntrMute2 Forum Resident

11. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

Very nice. Among other things, I think I need a better light.

12. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

There is some serious phonography in this thread!

asilker and JulesDassin like this.
  13. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Please send me an invite. :)

Did you work at Microsoft?

14. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Beautiful system, Mikel. Those are killer stands, very heavy-duty.

Watch out for those light transformers -- those can wreak havoc with stray RF fields getting into the cartridge. I had a devil of a time figuring out a way to get the cables far away from the tonearm side of the turntable. I agree, though, the low-voltage LED lights are best.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  15. mikel

mikel Forum Resident

no. i manage (do not own) a large car dealership.

you would be most welcome to visit for a listen if you are ever in the Seattle area. i have people over to listen quite often.....it's a part of the hobby i really enjoy.

mpayan likes this.
  16. mikel

mikel Forum Resident

thanks for the good advice. you can never take noise issues for granted.....and i have not.

these are floor lamps; so the base of each lamp is sitting on the floor, and the power cords and wall worts are kept away from signal path cables; especially the phono cables which carry such a tiny signal and are so prone to picking up noise. desk-top lamps are much more of a problem with that issue since their power cords must be in the same general area of the cartridge and phono cable.

i have 2 separate power grids in my barn. a regular panel for lights, HVAC and misc needs and another one using an Equi=tech wall panel system with 10Kva isolation transformer.

so my system is very quiet (it's a room built inside a room, in a barn, on 5 acres, in the mountains).

i realize the RF can manifest itself thru proximity as well as the power grid; and have done testing on these lamps. so far there is no effect i can detect from these LED lamps.

good system grounding is important; of course.

btw; the stands are Grand Prix Audio Monaco SE with formula shelves and Apex footers. they allow tuning of individual shelves for each piece of gear to allow for optimal isolation.

17. kdbrink

kdbrink Forum Resident

Based on this thread, I ordered an i-Tower lamp. It is as good as Mikel says it is. I think this one is a keeper.

18. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

Beautiful pics!

19. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Very cool! I'm very impressed, and that sounds like very thorough engineering.

20. Yayastone

Yayastone Forum Resident

Recently picked up an LED clamp lamp for under $20 at Target.

photo (8).JPG

21. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

The gear has changed since this photo, but the light remains.

[​IMG]

I can't figure out how this camera took the above shot. Current conditions with the same light -

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  22. TonalTech

TonalTech Well-Known Member

reviving an old thread, but this helped me find my new light. Ended up picking up a Koncept iTower

23. Alfredo Jahn

Alfredo Jahn Forum Resident

24. It's a Dual cs5000 that I bought in 1986. I still have it but my main table now is a Rega RP6. The light is an ilight that were made in the 90s to match the color of all the iMacs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.