Poll: Do you like heavy metal?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by marke, Apr 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marke

marke Forum Resident Thread Starter

I never liked heavy metal or hard rock when I was very young . It was strictly Abba music. Even when I was a teenager I preferred lighter fare like Men at Work and The Police. A friend of mine from school started getting into heavy metal like Metallica and Megadeth and at first I turned my nose up at it, thinking it was just ugly noise. But gradually I started liking it, particularly Master of Puppets, Ride the Lightning and And Justice for All.
    Soon I bought all the Metallica albums, first on cassette and later on CD. I also got into Megadeth and later, Fear Factory, Opeth, Killswitch Engage, Strapping Young Lad etc. So I got into metal from the age of about 19-20 years of age.

2. skriefal

skriefal Senior Member

There is a wide variety of metal music. Some of it I like; some I don't. Symphonic/progressive/goth metal will usually be in the first group; death metal usually in the second group.

MrBigShow likes this.
  3. hellion

hellion Forum Resident

My progression was from Elvis-Elton John - Abba - Supertramp - Queen - Rush To Led Zeppelin, from their I widened out to all forms of hard rock and metal . This was during a five year period from 75 to 80. I've proudly stayed on this path ever since, My tastes haven't changed much since than. Btw my first Metallica album was "Ride the Lightening" and still my favorite. My son loves "Kill 'Em all"

Clanceman and MrBigShow like this.
  4. Claus

Claus Senior Member

I grew up with Hard Rock and I heard more and more Metal later. My first Hard Rock albums... Black Sabbath, deep Purple, Led Zeppelin and Uriah Heep. When I was older I opened my mind for Folk, Soul, Electronic, Jazz and Classical music. I still have my problem with Grunge... don't like very much this kind of Rock music. I own only Nirvana and Soundgarden from this era.

Steel Horse and MrBigShow like this.
  5. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

I like something from every form of metal to some degree with the exception of hair metal I hate that with a passion.

6. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Nope,don't like it - I'm mostly a pop music kinda guy. Although there are a few songs here and there that I don't mind. "Run To The Hills" I sort of like.

7. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

I am more into blues based rock and roll, hard or otherwise. But what exactly is metal? Steel Panther style?

Fullbug and Grant like this.
  8. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Do you like heavy metal ? No ?
    Well do the trouser press baby. :)

9. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

Absolutely love 70s and 80s metal (the metal of my youth), but don't care for what I've heard from subsequent decades.

erniebert, DiabloG, slipkid and 2 others like this.
  10. alexpop

Lady Samantha rhymes with .... ....... :)

11. I generally like metal, mostly from the 70s (which I was too young to hear first hand) and on into the 80s up until around 1985. Except for Metallica and some legacy guitar players, I wasn't so fond of late 80s metal. And I especially disliked the 88-91 crop of "me too" hair metal bands. 90s grunge was often metal with a new coat of paint, and that was fine. But the late 90s "nu metal" was almost uniformly junk. I couldn't get back on board until there was a bit of a progressive metal revival with Opeth, etc.

Always liked a lot of the music while remaining openly contemptuous of the culture.

12. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

Ok, I will.
    1-2-3 kick !

13. alexpop

A dog of a tune. :)

14. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

If you say so.
    IMO it is of an impeccable pedigree.

15. ShawnX

ShawnX Forum Resident

Absolutely. This was my entry point into music. And although I've found other categories of music, I still enjoy the Metal.

16. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Used to love classic 70's-80's metal. Still have all those records on my shelves but overall I grew out of it, I guess, except for Sabbath. Good for nostalgia trip every once in a while.

17. Echo

Echo Forum Resident

Not a very cool genre, but I like some albums.

18. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

I like heavy metal. I also enjoy heavy classical. Heavy can be good music.
    I'm listening to Earth "Hex; Or Printing In The Infernal Method" right now and drinking a heavy imperial stout.
    Heavy is good.
    I've got a bit of a buzz going on.

19. Phil4

Phil4 Active Member

Yes.

A lot of people seem to not give it a chance like they do with other genres or just call it all "screamo". Here are some good gateway albums:

Iron Maiden: The Number of the beast
    Metallica: Ride the Lightning
    Megadeth: Rust in Peace
    Black Sabbath: Master of Reality
    Opeth: Damnation for essential prog rock and Blackwater Park/Still Life for metal
    Porcupine Tree: In Absentia (not necessarily metal however it will sound heavy if you never listen to metal)
    Candlemass: Epicus Doomicus Metallicus

And if you want some amazing sounding records:

Rage Against the Machine S/T first press
    Slayer: Reign in Blood first press

20. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

21. marke

I like Opeth and Porcupine Tree. Porcupine Tree took an interesting turn in the nineties when they went from Floyd inspired space rock to a more metal based sound. I also enjoy Opeth's work.
    To me Strapping Young Lad's City is still the heaviest metal album I've heard.

22. I like some operatic metal.

23. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

I'm more of a proto-metal guy. :)

broccolid likes this.
  24. marke

I've become more of a fan of Slayer in recent years too. Not really a big fan of Anthrax though when it comes to thrash metal.

Maidenpriest likes this.
  25. marke

I'm also not the biggest fan of cookie monster vocals in metal although I like Mikael Akerfeldt's singing in Opeth. I enjoy his clean singing and gutteral vocals.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.