Poll: Do you like heavy metal?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by marke, Apr 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DDTM

DDTM Well-Known Member

Some of it, here and there. :D;)

2. Kuzronk

Kuzronk Well-Known Member

Not really. I mostly like softer music.

3. Groggy

Groggy Forum Resident

I like heavy rock..........as opposed to heavy metal

Scotian, Zeki, sound chaser and 2 others like this.
  4. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

What do you think? I live for 70s and 80s metal. The best guitar playing, ever!

Trillmeister and Thermionic Dude like this.
  5. Stefano G.

Stefano G. Ab alto, speres alteri quod feceris.

...this is heavy metal:

When I was younger I listened hard rock and heavy metal too, but it's a long time that I do not listen this genre anymore; "heavy metal" is just a kind of sound: do you realize this fact, for example, when you listen to the song "The Wizard" by Black Sabbath: the same notes played by the mouth organ have a blues sound, but played by the distorted guitar of Tony Iommi are "heavy metal" ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pq1JrJHQlAc

broccolid likes this.
  6. Django

Django Forum Resident

Love it, but my interest faded almost 20 years ago. I still love what I was into back then but I rarely find new bands I can get into. (mastodon being the last). Must be an age thing.

Stefano G. likes this.
  7. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

Do I like heavy metal? That's another yes/no/kind of answer. So much gets dumped into that category... Easier to say I have loads of time for melodic rock. Songs with actual tunes and structure. Mott the Hoople, Van Halen, Rainbow, Def Leppard.... that kind of rock band. Acts that possess the ability to get grungy & raw, yet reel that side of it in to create an accessible product. However, bands that go for the white-noise/full-on crunch approach I leave well alone.

rcspkramp and zen like this.
  8. redfloatboat

redfloatboat Forum Resident

i grew up with heavy rock of the seventies, which i like. doesn't seem that heavy these days though.
    i'd love to hear some heavy metal that wasnt a rehash of things gone by.
    i'd have to say 'no', i don't like modern heavy metal.

9. gregk72

gregk72 Forum Resident

I prefer the Glam Metal. It reminds me of a time when I was a young man. I really live Tesla's Five Man Acoustical Jam and Cinderella's Heartbreak Station.

I own a few Metallica and Megadeth records.

Definitely a great genre.

10. Victor/Victrola

Victor/Victrola Makng shure its write

I chose indifferent because some of it I really like and some I can't tolerate.

11. greenwichsteve

greenwichsteve Well-Known Member

How is heavy metal defined as opposed to hard rock? For instance, I enjoy Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, UFO, Deep Purple, some Metallica, some Judas Priest, etc. Never got into death metal and have never heard some of the bands mentioned. I too had to choose indifferent.

keyXVII and jon9091 like this.
  12. gberbert

gberbert Forum Resident

Love it since I was 13, though a lot of the new artists leave me cold, especially because of the lifeless and triggered production aesthetic metal has going on now. Thrash Metal is by far my favorite style, it's the zenith of heavy metal styles for me. It combines heavy riffs, aggression, riffs, speed, riffs and still has great hooks. Death Metal and Black Metal I can take in small doses. Nowadays death metal bands tend to favor technical prowess instead of good riffs and black metal bands like to go for the lo-fi approach that only worked until about 1995.

DDTM likes this.
  13. uphoria6

uphoria6 Senior Member

I voted no because largely I don't understand the metal culture but, that said, I do have a soft spot for some artists in the genre. Love Motorhead because they are almost punk to me. I see them as the Ramones of metal. I admire their purity and Lemmy is an icon I can't deny. Ditto on early Slayer. There is a rush to Hell Awaits even though the lyrics make me cringe. I loathe the technical aspects of metal. Someone earlier posted that 80's metal had the best guitar work ever. If you like speed and technic that may be true but I find that playing lacks emotion. For instance, I'll take Cobain's crunching riffs and sound over anything Iron Maiden has churned out. I can't deny the prowess but it just doesn't move me and I need that emotional connection. Anyway, we can't all like the same things otherwise it would be boring.

14. wrighty47

wrighty47 Forum Resident

First music genre I "got into" in a big way, starting with the classics (Sabbath, Purple, DC etc), then moving onto the nwobhm stuff. Drifted away when all the hair metal stuff appeared (and my tastes went more Gothic), returned for the likes of Slayer, Sepultura, Pantera. Most NuMetal passed me by (do like Deftones, Machine head tho) but the progressive metal of bands like Opeth I adore. Still regularly buy and see new bands all the time (particular faves include Baroness, Red Fang, Uncle Acid, Behemoth).
    Not the only music I listen to, but I am a huge fan, and have been since I was 14 years old.

15. roberts67

roberts67 Forum Resident

Not a huge metal head, but love High on Fire. Matt Pike has something unique going on.

16. pig bodine

pig bodine God’s Consolation Prize

I love it. I'm going to be 51 years old soon, and I've never been so "mature" that I "grew out of it." Artsy college rock is supposed to be more adult? I remember Sad Wings Of Destiny as new a new album. I lived through NWOBHM, and heard thrash and death from the beginning. I've seen a sizable proportion of the major acts over the past 35 years in clubs, arenas or stadiums. I drew the line at nu-metal which I can't find any redeeming qualities in, but I very much enjoy the contemporary bands--probably the only truly progressive rock out there now--other than stoner-doom, it continues to move forward rather than get lost in the past.

17. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I like some hard rock (i.e. Zeppelin, Sabbath) but for the most part, heavy metal as it developed in the late 70's and 80's never appealed to me. I couldn't quite relate to the sensibility. It seemed a little too cartoonish to take seriously.

rene smalldridge likes this.
  18. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

19. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

Not a fan of Priest, Maiden, Slayer, Anthrax, Megadeth, Metallica, Motorhead, Queensryche etc..... I thought you might like some of these.

20. DDTM

DDTM Well-Known Member

Early Priest has a lot of common with hard rock of the 70s.

tkl7 likes this.
  21. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

Hell yes.

I feel like I should outgrow metal, but the older I get, the more I appreciate it. There are so many avenues to explore I don't think I'll ever get tired of it. Forum members like Godshifter, Aleksandar, Rose River Bear and Trillmeister have been extremely helpful in that regard; I've even reconsidered my position on certain bands and albums thanks to those guys.

22. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

Yes.

Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Slayer, Dio, Metallica, Opeth, Motorhead, Overkill, etc. although I have a definitive jumping off point for each - i.e. JP after Defenders Of The Faith.

There's also a ton of metal that doesn't appeal to me - nu metal, industrial, Pantera, the modern bands that scream, etc.

Trillmeister likes this.
  23. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I think it's fairly obvious to most here that I do.

I've never been a huge thrash or speed metal fan and I can't always relate to prog and power metal, but most of the other sub-genres I like very much. Stoner metal (such is the term) is probably one of my favorites these days along with atmospheric black metal.

Trillmeister and Rapid Fire like this.
  24. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

Mostly indifferent.

25. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

Oddly enough, I wasn't much into it in my 80s teenage years but as I've gotten older I like it a lot more. Like GodShifter, my tastes also run to black metal, doom and drone, with plenty of stoner metal mixed in. I do like thrash and speed metal too, but even though I like Yes and some other early prog bands I cannot get into prog metal at all.

GodShifter likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.