Poll: Do you like heavy metal?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by marke, Apr 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Terry

Terry Senior Member

One word: Blackout.

Make that three: Hell, yeah.

Trillmeister likes this.
  2. Terry

Terry Senior Member

He might have.

3. John54

John54 Senior Member

Indifferent. I like a few tracks by heavy metal bands, but I don't care enough to investigate much further.

4. old school

old school Senior Member

That statement is just uncalled for. And makes you four rungs under your opinion.

5. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

I`m always returning to Metal in some form sooner or later......................

For what it`s worth I personally still enjoy it!

Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
  6. old school

old school Senior Member

Your ignore list must look like a phone book.

7. Ayshpaysh

Ayshpaysh Forum Resident

I said no, as I'm much more of a fan of Metal's cousin, Shoegaze, often you get a lot of the heaviness, without the screeching...

That said, my mate played me Meshuggah's latest; Koloss, on vinyl and I really digged it. I appreciate the pure musicianship of it all, so precise. Plus, the vinyl sounz pppphaaat.

That, and I like me a good polyrhythm.

8. EddieVortex

EddieVortex Forum Resident

Absolutely I do. When I was a kid AC/DC, Rainbow, Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, etc were all classed as heavy metal to us. NWOBHM came along and then we started with thrash and the many sub-genres that have sprung up since. I like elements of it all with the exception of nu-metal (very few redeeming features). More recently, the progressive metal scene has produced some of the most interesting music of the last decade.

Long live all things METAL!!!!

9. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Please add me to your ignore list. I can't believe you have the nerve to insult the ENTIRETY of metal listeners but get butthurt over someone mentioning that your comment was out of line.

10. old school

old school Senior Member

Add me to your ignore list, it is just shocking the nerve you have. And your insult to everybody you should be terminated from this forum.

Brudy, Rose River Bear and GodShifter like this.
  11. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I agree. I feel like such a dope that I ever started that Megadeth ABA thread. I can't imagine what the members that said metal is for pimply teenagers and uneducated fools must think of me.

Trillmeister, Brudy and GodShifter like this.
  12. Rose River Bear

I think Point Of Entry would be a better entry point. :D:hide:;)

13. old school

old school Senior Member

I'm 59 years old and love metal. Your thread and Black Sabbath, Ozzy and all the other metal ABA threads breath life into this forum. When someone comes along and makes a racial slur against anyone who likes this music to me I'm offended and appalled and then threatens to put you on a ignore list has no scruples and should not be allowed on a music forum.

Rose River Bear likes this.
  14. Dukes Travels

Dukes Travels Forum Resident

Lets leave Rob Halfords private life out of this :D

15. Sill Nyro

Sill Nyro Forum Resident

I'm indifferent to it.

16. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I like it but haven't really gotten into it since the 80s. It's the kind of music one has to be in the mood for, and I haven't been in the mood for bone-crunching guitar-laden music in a very long time.

17. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

I think 'Heavy Metal' is too big a genre to make a decision whether you like it or not because it has so many sub-genres that are totally different, I personally don't like the term 'Heavy Metal' and prefer to call it 'Hard Rock' !!

18. old school

old school Senior Member

I disagree Heavy Metal like Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Dio just to name a few fit that tag. Bathory would not be hard rock it is Black Metal. That is why there is all these sub- genres. Metallica is Thrash Metal you can't put these genres under one umbrella it would not make sense. There is traditional Heavy Metal then all it's sub-genres.

DDTM likes this.
  19. Gerard Fox

Gerard Fox Well-Known Member

If Led Zep and Deep Purple are classified as Heavy Metal then yes. However, I never liked Iron Maiden, Metallica, Judas Priest, Def Leppard so I was quite selective. Also loved Ronnie Dio era Rainbow.

20. Rose River Bear

I agree totally. I really don't get too bothered anymore when I read insulting remarks regarding metal music and fans. Ya know why? Someone who does that really has a limited ability to understand and recognize qualities in certain music. They realize that so they resort to insults like calling it music for "spotty teenagers" or they make insulting racial remarks. You really have to consider the source and realize what is happening. It is OK to say you just don't care for it. That is the intelligent response and everyone has their likes and dislikes. However, I agree with you that once you continually use insults that is wrong. BTW- I will be posting my review of Warchest on the Megadeth thread tomorrow. Hope you get the chance to stop by and read it. :righton:

21. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

I 'do' like metal if you would consider some Opeth & Porcupine Tree as metal. Otherwise not such a big fan. I have seen Megadeath in concert and enjoyed it.

old school likes this.
  22. Rose River Bear

Good point. There are many sub genres of Heavy Metal that I really do not listen to and have not warmed up to. That includes some sub genres where the musicianship is outstanding.

Maidenpriest likes this.
  23. old school

old school Senior Member

For sure I have Warchest and can't wait for that review. Be there tomorrow for sure.

24. old school

old school Senior Member

Those bands are great. Yes I consider those bands Megadeth, Thrash Metal Opeth, started out Black Metal and are Progressive Metal as is Porcupine Tree. Porcupine Tree's Signify album is one of my favorite's.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
  25. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

If you really love Sabbath them I can't imagine you wouldn't like some of the bands in the Doom Metal sub-genre. Sabbath is credited with creating this sound. There are also many great suggestions in the Stoner Metal threads.

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/all-things-doom-metal.293226/

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...ner-psychedelic-rock-metal-collection.341506/

DDTM, GodShifter and Rose River Bear like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.