Poll: Do you like heavy metal?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by marke, Apr 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Yes but we have to call it something other than just music. I would go crazy in the used record store trying to find what I need. Think about it....Megadeth in the same row as Mendelssohn or Men at Work? o_O

2. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

The categorizations are pretty confusing and it gets ridiculous with the arguments of 'what is and what is not'. I prefer to call it all (hard rock & heavy metal) as "heavy music". Definitely less restrictive, IMO.

Trillmeister and Rose River Bear like this.
  3. Rose River Bear

I agree. I have to say the sub genres in "Metal" can really get confusing to me. Out of all genres it is probably the most diverse. We need guys like Aleksandar to help us figure them out. :)

starduster likes this.
  4. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

the subgenres are pretty obvious if you grew up with the stuff. coming at it years later and dealing with the deluge of good and bad music self-identifying as metal makes genre identification a bit trickier.

5. Brudy

Brudy Senior Member

And even in a broader sense, Yngwie in the 80's totally got me into classical music via Paganini and then onward from there.

6. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I got so sidetracked by "The Great White Trash Swindle Of 2014" that I forgot to mention that I LOVE METAL \m/ 556088_4110040995609_1358564282_n.jpg

Trillmeister, DDTM, Kurofuda and 2 others like this.
  7. Brudy

Brudy Senior Member

That would make a great album name! :)

8. old school

old school Senior Member

You have always been a metal basher. We have your number Peaty.

9. Brudy

Brudy Senior Member

When I think about growing up in the late 70s when I started developing my musical tastes, I don't think we talked about metal vs hard rock in terms of the music. We talked about different bands or records being heavier or harder than one another, but we didn't apply the subgenre labels exclusively until the 80s. Most of this was just called metal, which was heavy/hard rock that fell outside mainstream music (vs say disco, top 40, punk). But the term 'metalhead' had a pretty specific connotation re the social structures of junior high/high school, etc, which I think is kind of interesting. You have a subculture dressing pretty much in similar fashion, yet there are all these now-existent subgenres that seem to need defining. It wasn't until the glam stuff arrived that you saw both the visual diversification and the need to apply a taxonomy to the music itself. I guess you could see similar trends in punk and indie over the course of their lifecycles so far where a monoculture of music/fashion exist at the beginning but then slowly fractures as the music diversifies.

Not sure where I'm going with that exactly, just that it's interesting to me anyway. It makes me wonder if we all had to wear uniforms would musical taxonomies need to exist?

GodShifter likes this.
  10. Brudy

Brudy Senior Member

666? :nauga:

11. spencer1

spencer1 Great Western Forum Resident

I think you are absolutely right.
    Many bands cross these sub-genres so what do you call them?

I can tell you this, in 1970 we called Black Sabbath and Deep Purple "Hard Rock" and other times "Heavy Metal".
    No real thought put into it. Maybe to differentiate it from "regular" rock, soft-rock and the rest.
    We were not academics dissecting and intellectualizing music. We were just buying records, going to concerts and enjoying it.
    People can call it what they want, I don't think there is an official rulebook, nor should there be.

Moonbeam Skies, old school and Brudy like this.
  12. peteneatneat

peteneatneat Forum Resident

:pineapple::bdance::bdance::wiggle::bdance::bdance::pineapple:

13. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I'm with you. It's too disparate a genre to say "yes I like it" or "no, I don't." I love Sabbath, I like a lot of the NWOBHM bands, particularly Priest and Maiden. I like Metallica and Megadeth, but find I listen to them less and less as I age. I don't like any of the guttural stuff. I do dig Symptom of a Down and Type O Negative. I only like industrial in small doses.

14. old school

old school Senior Member

I know all you listen to is the Sex Pistols. Have fun and dance the night away.

15. Ramilo

Ramilo Active Member

If you think Cobain was any good at singing, then no wonder you worship Megadeath. Both of them are pretty much in the same league.

16. Ramilo

Ramilo Active Member

Let's not get too emotional, I don't resort to "insulting racial remarks" as you put it in the description of the category I supposedly fall into.

17. Rose River Bear

I have been waiting since I joined this forum to read a story like yours. I knew there had to be one person that got into classical due to Yngwie. I have been vindicated!!!!!!

Brudy likes this.
  18. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I love "heavy metal" but a lot of what I consider metal is no longer considered metal by today's generation or definition. Bands like Deep Purple, UFO, MSG, Van Halen, Ozzy, AC/DC that I grew up with were considered "heavy metal" back in the day. Even Led Zeppelin was considered "heavy metal" by most of my friends. I don't think anyone today thinks of them as metal though.

I dig "old school" metal - bands like above, metal or not - and bands such as Sabbath, Dio, Scorpions, Maiden, Judas Priest (up until the Hell Bent for Leather album anyway), Saxon, Rainbow, etc. But I do not like the subsequent sprouts of the heavy metal seed, genres like speed metal, death metal, nu metal, thrash, etc. I do not like Metallica, Megadeth, Pantera, Venom, Slipknot, Korn, or any of that ilk at all.

19. Brudy

Brudy Senior Member

Glad to be of a service! Growing up my parents had some classical laying around, but it wasn't until I followed Yngwie to Paganini's caprices that my own interest was piqued. I had a tape that I had bought of them and I'd annoy my friends when driving around town blasting it. I'm pretty sure it was not helping us in our futile efforts to cruise for girls in 1985. I would also add that Rik Emmet's classical pieces on the Triumph records also had an influence, but more in my playing whereas Yngwie made me fall into a whole different musical world.

Rose River Bear and old school like this.
  20. Akhorahil

Akhorahil Well-Known Member

"Black leather hounds, faster than sound
    Metal our purpose in life."

old school likes this.
  21. old school

old school Senior Member

I believe Classical is the direct link to Heavy Metal without a doubt.

Rapid Fire, Rose River Bear and Brudy like this.
  22. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

For me, it was Emerson Lake & Palmer that got me into classical music. However, I really love those early Malmsteen albums. I have to gloss over posts that paint Yngwie as nothing more than a shredder. There are plenty of great melodic songs to be found, I think. I get a lot of mileage out of the Rising Force albums; I'm not that familiar with anything Malmsteen did beyond the 80s though.

Brudy and Rose River Bear like this.
  23. Thermionic Dude

Thermionic Dude Forum Resident

Good crowd, great stage show with lots of pyro and other good Metal stuff. Opening bands were Deftones (I'm not really a fan, but the crowd liked them) and Ghost B.C. (much more interesting).

I think you'll have a great time (I do recommend ear plugs).

jeffgt14 likes this.
  24. Rapid Fire

Rapid Fire Hyperactive!

For me it was Ritchie Blackmore that introduced me to Classical music. I enjoy Yngwie a lot as well, as I can hear Blackmore's influence in Yngwie Malmsteen's music.

zen likes this.
  25. Izozeles

Izozeles Pushing my limits

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.