The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. dajokr

dajokr Classical "Mega" Box Set Collector

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

a few live NRPS shows from the early 70's...

ianuaditis likes this.
  3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Damn nice haul!

4. clgoss77

clgoss77 Forum Resident

Yeah, it's the only time I recall Scarlet being part of another song from '74. It wasn't until '76 that it started being mixed up occasionally within other songs again.

JRM likes this.
  5. clgoss77

clgoss77 Forum Resident

This is probably my all-time favorite Dick's Pick. One of my favorite Dead moments is when Jerry breaks a string during his solo in Bird Song and Keith jumps in with a beautiful solo without missing a beat.

DrLunchbox and dajokr like this.
  6. had veneta 72 on yesterday. listening to miles bootleg series today, going back to the dead tomorrow -- perhaps a selection from the euro 72 box or that 69 road trips release - forget the venue - big pow wow or something ...

7. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

Well if you're going back and forth between Miles and the Dead - there's always the April '70 Miles openers...

ianuaditis likes this.
  8. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Yesterday I listened to Without a Net (lps).

ianuaditis, Complier and clgoss77 like this.
  9. clgoss77

clgoss77 Forum Resident

Tonight it was the meat of 5/26/1972: Truckin' > The Other One > Drums > The Other One > Morning Dew > The Other One > Sing Me Back Home from the 2011 HDCD release. To me this is one of their prettier series of jams, versus some of their darker, jazzy, space jazz jams during late-'73 and '74. It's interesting to read Bob say in the liner notes to this release how the band knew that a lot of the audience on this tour didn't know them real well, so they felt they had to keep things a little "sweeter" during the jams. I generally listen to a lot more of '73 and '74, but it's fun to return back to some of these spring '72 shows.

[​IMG]

warewolf95, mgb70, Erik B. and 3 others like this.
  10. xTraPlaylists

xTraPlaylists I bring order to chaos.

Just picked Ace up for $5 at Reckless Records in Chicago.

Also got the 2CD Grayfolded for $9.

DrLunchbox likes this.
  11. dajokr

Spun the 9/3/72 bonus tracks from DP36 on the way home from work.

He's Gone > The Other One > Wharf Rat.....

JRM and clgoss77 like this.
  12. dajokr

Veering slightly off topic, I have been spending a lot of time at the 'Grateful Dead Guide' blog:

http://deadessays.blogspot.com/

An incredible amount of information in well-researched and well-written articles. Not sure who the guy is, but I am a fan.

Now, back to the topic at hand - giving Dick's Picks 17 (9/25/91) a first listen. I have not given enough time to listening to the Hornsby era, even though I'm a Bruce fan. I listened to the 6/20/91 Download Series last weekend and was impressed by the energy. I currently have one foot planted in '69 (waiting for DaP 10) and one in 90-91, trying to get caught up on an era that I have not spend enough time on.

ianuaditis, Stone Turntable and JRM like this.
  13. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

DP's Seventeen is one of my recent purchases. I actually enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would

14. JRM

JRM Forum Resident Thread Starter

Had a hankerin' for some 1979 tonite and I have always loved the 1/15/79 Springfield MA show. The Miracle > Shakedown to open the second set is a killer combo, and the transition between the two is perfect. If you want to cut to the chase, go to the 6:00 mark, Jerry hits the Shakedown tone at 6:25, and then they explosively drop into Shakedown. Rinse. Repeat.

simon-wagstaff and Crispy Rob like this.
  15. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

You have to bear in mind Phil was a college music major (Mills w/ Luciano Berio) who actually could read and write musical scores as could Tom Constaten. I don't knock Garcia's tremendous musical abilities but he was not formally trained in that way.

16. jacksondownunda

jacksondownunda Forum Resident

Let It Rock (mars bonus track) & Dark Star>Spanish Jam>US Blues (SMR box) from 6/23/74 Miama Jai Alai Fronton

17. JRM

Agree, good point, and Phil would obviously have more influence over Phil and Friends setlists than he had in GD setlists. But Jerry's statement that the material is so complicated that it is cumbersome to perform is disproven by the almost flawlessly executed "The Eleven" in the link above. In P&F, Phil is a formally trained musician with two guitar players that were not (in this case Trey Anastasio and Steve Kimock). In GD, Phil was a formally trained musician also with two guitar players that were not. Seems like a band can pull off Aoxomoxoa era stuff with practice, discipline and dedication to the material - none of which were strong suits for Garcia and Weir! In my opinion, of course ;)

Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
    ianuaditis and Mr Bass like this.
  18. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

That transition is unique and amazing. The Shakedown loses a little steam after that, I remember it being at a bit too slow a tempo for my taste, but it is a top version just because of that transition. Too bad that one is apparently not in the Vault.

ianuaditis and JRM like this.
  19. Ellsworth

Ellsworth Forum Resident

One From the Vault last night and an aud of 9/28/75 Golden Gate Park. I love the Golden Gate Park show. I wonder if they would ever do this as an official release. I had one of those holy sh** moments during Not Fade Away - Keith and Jerry were getting really funky. The show has a unique vibe and they seem to be having a great time.

ianuaditis and JRM like this.
  20. JRM

Blues for Allah this morning. Love the bonus material on this one, especially Groove #1 and #2...

[​IMG]

21. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

I think Garcia was adequate on the practice front, but the other two attributes are where the problem lies.

22. JRM

23. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

9.22.93 MSG with David Murray

24. Tridachnid

Tridachnid Forum Resident

Dicks Picks 18, disc 3 2/5/78. Love, love the Samson when Bobby's mic is malfunctioning and Jerry lets it rips with a 5 minutes of ferociousness. Bob wraps the jam up with a "whoo hoo" and begins to sing the first verse after 5:03. :drool:

dajokr and JRM like this.
  25. JRM

I am listening to Hooteroll? for the first time ever. For some reason I have never heard it, fixing that tonight. I dig it. So far this my favorite track...