The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. hyde park

hyde park Forum Resident

np
    4/15/70 Winterland

2. dajokr

dajokr Classical "Mega" Box Set Collector

One of the handful of DPs which I do not have, which I have just rectified by finding a copy and ordering it. Got a pretty good deal, too.

JRM likes this.
  3. Emmett66

Emmett66 Forum Resident

4. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

the earlier the dead the better. imo after pigpen died they were never the same. yes they had some peaks after that and i think the late 80's came close to matching the pigpen years but it was never the same

cjay and HILO like this.
  5. katstep

katstep Professional Cat Herder

I listen to a lot of live Dead and I've played 11-14-71 more in the past 4 years than any other show:
    Part of this smokin' show was released as a bonus disc from Road Trips Vol. 3 #2, however it was seriously abridged. Find the whole thing. You won't be disappointed. It's got that magic dust that so many 71 shows had.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
    DrLunchbox likes this.
  6. JRM

JRM Forum Resident Thread Starter

Nice call, 44 years ago tonight. Thanks for posting, I had never heard this show and so far it is 5-star Dead :drool:

https://listentothedead.com/1970/4/15

7. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

Jonathan Wilson KILLS Mission in the Rain too. Perhaps my favorite song on there.

8. DrLunchbox

Honestly, I wish they'd release that entire Winterland October 74 run. I love the 5 disc set, but would really prefer the whole shebang. I seem to recall there were some issues with the master tapes, but the soundtrack sounds great to my ears.

ianuaditis and JRM like this.
  9. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

10. DrLunchbox

The bonus Eyes is the star of that release, IMO.

dajokr likes this.
  11. hyde park

hyde park Forum Resident

I agree with the people who are enjoying the "Move Me Brightly" release - really good stuff and nicely produced.

12. dajokr

dajokr Classical "Mega" Box Set Collector

Man, I love this period. Would absolutely love a killer box set from 70.

JRM likes this.
  13. ghostdwg

ghostdwg Senior Member

DP 29 Fox Theater 5/19/77

forshac and JRM like this.
  14. JRM

Also, as article notes, this was Phil's first show back after his liver transplant. Does he open with a standard like Cold Rain and Snow? A reaffirming Not Fade Away? A poignant Box of Rain? Nope - Phil and Friends open their first set with a 34 minute Viola Lee Blues!!! Another example of Phil tackling material left on the shelf a long time ago by the GD...

ianuaditis likes this.
  15. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

I saw the dylan
    a shame the 11/70 port chester run only seems to exist in aud recordings. that would be my choice for a 1970 box set. i guess my 1st show being 11/6/70 makes me a bit biased.

ianuaditis likes this.
  16. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

this is a killer period. After so many years of listening to tapes, this is the period (7/31/71 > end of 1971) that emerged eventually as a real standout. And, I still think the 4/28/71 Dark Star is one of, if not the, best one ever. Who cares if it's only 14 minutes long? It says everything it needs to say.

ianuaditis, katstep and JRM like this.
  17. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

it's the Dead's version of Cortez The Killer

ianuaditis likes this.
  18. JRM

Working my way chronologically thru the Beyond Description box. This AM it is Terrapin Station. I didn't know that the live bonus track of Dancin' is from 5/8/77...

[​IMG]

19. DrLunchbox

I'm doing the E72 tour so today is 4/16/72.

Of course, I started my morning off with some Rory Gallagher, his Notes from San Francisco release... it's all connected...

20. PhoffiFozz

PhoffiFozz Forum Resident

I actually like the Yellow Dog joke, particularly if they improvise some music underneath it. I like it because you get the sense of what an extremely eccentric mix of people that band was... Especially in 69!

ianuaditis likes this.
  21. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

I really dunno about the Grateful Dead. I reckon it must be an American thing. Years ago I bought this:

upload_2014-4-16_18-23-10.png

It's ok. Played it a couple of times. Dig it out every now and then to give it another go. I don't mean to actively dislike them. Fairly open-minded to most acts. I'm just ambivalent towards their output. Just can't warm to them, nor understand the Big Deal mythos around them. I keep trying..... It must be geography. Sorry if that comes off a little negative. That's not really my style - but I REALLY fail to understand.

ianuaditis likes this.
  22. JRM

“We're like licorice. Not everybody likes licorice, but the people who like licorice really like licorice.”
    [​IMG]

CDFanatic, notesofachord, 905 and 2 others like this.
  23. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

Word.

ianuaditis and JRM like this.
  24. MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan A man who dreams he is a butterfly?

Elgar's "Enigma Variations"...

25. JRM

You're about a week ahead of me, I'm only at 4/11...