Poll: Do you like heavy metal?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by marke, Apr 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

Does White Zombie count ?

[​IMG]

If so....yeah. :)

dlokazip likes this.
  2. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Started by winning a spelling bee and getting Alice Cooper's Love It To Death. Then KISS, then Rush, Scorpions-basically record club titles that looked interesting. THEN I got Ace Of Spades for 10 cents at a garage sale...:yikes:

3. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

I didn't vote, the reason being: I like hard rock. A lot. Some heavy metal I like, and some I don't. I think sometimes "heavy metal" is used to describe bands that aren't. But then again, there aren't any strict definitions either.

4. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

If we're talking about Iron Maiden, then no. I've tried and I just don't get it. I love hard rock, but some of the bands called "metal" just seem silly to me.
    For the metal bands I do like, I seem to have a "Lynyrd Skynrd" problem; I like the band, but can't stand their fans.

5. Macman

Macman Senior Member

I like hard rock but can't stand metal.

6. old school

old school Senior Member

7. old school

old school Senior Member

8. old school

old school Senior Member

9. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Here's my favorite Candlemass song...Solitude.

10. old school

old school Senior Member

This band is the definition of heavy.

11. old school

old school Senior Member

12. ian christopher

ian christopher Argentina (in Spirit)

Maiden took the sounds of Thin Lizzy, Genesis, and Black Sabbath and sped/amped them up. They've run out of ideas over the years, but their 80's albums (and quite a few songs on Fear of the Dark) are brilliant and grow on the listener over time.

13. old school

old school Senior Member

14. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I love the new Maiden stuff (last 2 albums) which I think is very much a new direction for them ("prog metal"). I was already a fan of the glory days too though (starting with Bruce Dickinson/Number of the Beast).

ian christopher likes this.
  15. Moonbeam Skies

Moonbeam Skies Forum Resident

I like keeping the old definition of heavy metal. All those 70s bands that were considered metal, like Black Sabbath, Alice Cooper, Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, Kiss, Blue Oyster Cult, Judas Priest,...and in some quarters even Yes and early Fleetwood Mac, that stuff was heavy.

slipkid and Trillmeister like this.
  16. old school

old school Senior Member

How could Yes or Fleetwood Mac ever be considered Metal. What example could ever come to that conclusion? On your list I only see two legitimate names.

17. Moonbeam Skies

Moonbeam Skies Forum Resident

I believe they were included on some heavy metal compilation albums around 73 or 74, but I would have to double check that. Also, Yes and Black Sabbath toured together around 72. Look at old Creem magazines, those bands were considered heavy metal.

ian christopher likes this.
  18. old school

old school Senior Member

Yes is a progressive band they were never Metal. Just because they toured with Black Sabbath which is a very odd pairing does not make Yes a Metal band. Early Fleetwood Mac were Blues rock. You are wrong sir those bands were never Metal. I don't have to read any magazines I was around at the time to know the difference.

19. extravaganza

extravaganza Senior Member

I answered "no". Probably the only musical genre that I don't enjoy at least sometimes. I don't hate it or anything, it just does nothing for me.

20. PopularChuck

PopularChuck Senior Member

IMHO, some of the most impressive music being made today is black metal. There is some amazing music coming out of the Pacific Northwest. Agalloch, Wolves in the Throne Room and Ash Borer are remarkable, each taking a slightly different approach. Agalloch draws on a lot of folk and symphonic elements, Wolves is more straightforward black metal in hue hooked-school vein and Ash Borer is more experimental. Panopticon is a one-man outfit from Kentucky who is simply brilliant.

Blut Aus Nord is a French black metal band that is fantastic - very atmospheric and experimental.

Opeth is great, particularly if you're into prog-rock. The same goes for Enslaved.

I'm also a fan of the so-called post-metal from bands like Pelican, Isis and Red Sparrowes. It's largely instrumental. I'd also like to check out Pelagic but so far haven't seen any of their albums around.

SubRosa is another band I'm curious about... Atmospheric doom metal that draws on everything from bluegrass to punk. They're from Salt Lake City. Led by two women, one of whom, IIRC, plays violin or cello.

GodShifter and ian christopher like this.
  21. Ramilo

Ramilo Active Member

This singer sucks. Where is Robert Lowe???

22. old school

old school Senior Member

Lowe left in 2012. Mats Levén is there new singer glad you put it so eloquently about Lowe. I have read your posts before, just what singer do you like? It seems that is your standard quote always for any band. Dude a little diplomacy goes a long way.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
  23. Ramilo

Ramilo Active Member

Dude, you seem confused. I have nothing but praise for Robert Lowe.

24. old school

old school Senior Member

That is not what I'm saying dude.
    'This singer sucks. Where is Robert Lowe???' that is the problem you could have been a little more kinder and showed a little more class!

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
  25. Expectant One

Expectant One Well-Known Member

Oh yes, I love heavy metal. I fell away from the genre some 8 years ago, but got back into it again quite heavily last year, to my big satisfaction. Iron Maiden, Metallica, Judas Priest, In Flames, and more recently Amorphis (the latest album) are among my favourites. :) I'm not into black or death metal proper, with the exception of Death (the band), I prefer the more melodic styles. Doom is maybe my least favourite sub-genre, despite enjoying a bunch of Sabbath material. Glad to see so many people enjoying metal here!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.