Poll: Do you like heavy metal?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by marke, Apr 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

Here's a compilation album called Heavy Metal from 1974.

[​IMG]

Including bands like The Allman Brothers, Buffalo Springfield, Delany & Bonnie, Eagles, The J. Geils Band, Grateful Dead, Dr. John, Van Morrison, War and Yes!

2. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Well that PROVES it then!

EasterEverywhere and DDTM like this.
  3. old school

old school Senior Member

Now come on that is so wrong do you believe that those bands are heavy metal?

4. progrocker71

This board needs to be renamed "The Jumping To Conclusions Music Forum".

All I did was post an image of a compilation album from 1974. I said nothing about it, gave no opinion whatsoever of the contents, just posted an image.

Yet somehow I "proved" something.

The actual POINT of posting the image was to show that the opinion about what is Heavy Metal has changed many, many times over the years. What was considered heavy metal in 1974 is different than 1984 and is still even more different in 2014. I've seen younger metal fans claim bands like Judas Priest and Iron Maiden aren't really heavy metal, they are just "hard rock". I consider that point of view laughable but hey, I was young and stupid once myself.

5. old school

old school Senior Member

I get your point but 1974 or 2014 the Eagles are not ' Heavy Metal.'

6. progrocker71

Of course they aren't, in fact almost none of the artists on that compilation are.

old school likes this.
  7. Synthfreek

Sarcasm...not...detected...

GodShifter and DDTM like this.
  8. sgb

sgb Senior Member

I did decades ago but not any more.

9. Kurofuda

Kurofuda Active Member

What a weird comp. A seventies kid looking for some hard 'n' heavy music would've been happy at first: side one gets down to business with Kick Out The Jams into Iron Man into I'm Eighteen. Nice!

That same kid might've scratched his head when tracks like Ramblin' Man and Domino started showing up, with a little Delaney and Bonnie mixed in for flavor!

Moonbeam Skies likes this.
  10. progrocker71

Here's a cover of Creem magazine from October of 1979.

[​IMG]

The bands featured in their "is heavy metal dead?" article are Aerosmith, Ted Nugent, Led Zeppelin, Kiss, Heart, Boston, Van Halen and Queen. Honestly, I don't consider any of those bands to be heavy metal, Van Halen comes closest but to me they are still a hard rock act. You show this cover to some teenagers or 20-something metal fans right now and they'll bust a gut laughing, cause none of that is heavy metal to them.

11. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Few, if any, consider those bands heavy metal. The fact is the term was thrown around a lot in the 70's for bands that played hard rock. In the 70's the amount of bands that played heavy metal as it's defined today was probably what? Two or three bands in total: Sabbath, Priest, and, uh, dunno. Not many in other words.

12. progrocker71

Rainbow, Budgie (arguably) and Motorhead spring to mind as well.

GodShifter likes this.
  13. old school

old school Senior Member

Rainbow and Budgie are hard rock in my thinking. Motorhead for sure even though Lemmy say's different.

14. old school

old school Senior Member

Now in 1979 in England the NWOBHM was starting to boom.

Barnabas Collins likes this.
  15. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

Most of those bands were undeniably influential on the development of heavy metal, but even the heaviest bands-Sabbath, Priest (Scorpions?, Rush?) really weren't that heavy. I guess it just goes to show how times have changed. I can remember a time when Kiss and Black Sabbath were shocking; now they are just classic heavy rock bands. I think the NWOBHM really changed the way we perceived metal and by the mid 80s, bands like Mercyful Fate, Slayer and Iron Maiden were just a few bands that upped the heaviness factor. "Reign In Blood" still sounds heavy as hell to me but I guess to a 20 year old, not so much.

16. Barnabas Collins

It's kind of ironic that Creem was sounding the death knell when heavy metal was just getting started!

ian christopher and old school like this.
  17. One Louder

One Louder Well-Known Member

It's a mixed bag for me. I love proto metal stuff, I love Black Sabbath with Ozzy and like them with Dio and Ian, I love Motorhead, I like the metal stuff the Plasmatics did, I think Anthrax and Slayer are excellent, I like pre black album Metallica, I like Crowbar and more recently I like Baroness but there's a lot of metal that just does nothing for me.

When it gets into non stop cookie monster vocals, or something one dimensional like non stop sludge, non stop thrash or non stop highly technical playing with no dynamics or variation I lose interest very fast.

ian christopher likes this.
  18. Synthfreek

Does anyone like Ghost? It took me a bit of time to warm up to them but I like them in a cheesy almost embarrassing sort of way. Sometimes the singer Papa Emeritus reminds me of Barry Manilow.

19. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

I don't know that I agree those early bands weren't heavy. To me Sabbath songs like Into The Void or War Pigs are infinitely heavier than the soulless wall of noise industrial metal bands or a lot of death metal.

Moonbeam Skies likes this.
  20. dsky

dsky Little Blue Light

I am not really a fan of Heavy Metal, but I have 5 discs which could be considered heavy metal.

The first three Sabbath LPs. I really like these. I don't really like their work after Master of Reality. I feel these first 3 LPs are not exactly "metal", though. My rationale being, I don't enjoy straight metal, but I like these classic LPs ergo not metal. Something else which transcends the limitations and cliches I feel straitjacket the genre.

Also, I have Napalm Death's "Scum" and Carcass's "Reek of Putrefaction/Symphonies of Sickness" discs. When I was really into punk in my youth I also got into these grindcore classics. Again, I don't really see these as "metal". More extreme punk. I do not listen to these much these days. But for a super aggressive blast, they are hard to beat.

21. Synthfreek

But Rael's last sentence is key. "Heavy" is relative. A 20 year old growing up weened on death and black metal might laugh at "Into The Void" no matter how great it is.

zen and Barnabas Collins like this.
  22. Barnabas Collins

I think for their time, those Sabbath songs are very heavy. And even today, I find them emotionally heavy. But as a subgenre of heavy metal, I don't personally don't find doom, including Sabbath, all that heavy-at least in a visceral sense.

23. Barnabas Collins

Me, I love Ghost. I still hear a huge amount of Blue Oyster Cult influence in their music, which isn't a bad thing at all, IMO. Not nearly as heavy as their image would imply.

GodShifter and Synthfreek like this.
  24. progrocker71

Rainbow is practically the blueprint for 80s style heavy metal (particularly NWOBHM), almost as important as Judas Priest. Songs like Kill The King are 100% metal, not even room for argument, same could be said of Tarot Woman, Stargazer, A Light In The Black, etc. Once Dio left things changed, but those 3 studio albums and the live album are most definitely heavy metal albums.

Budgie also has their fair share of metallic riffing, from the very first track of their debut (the stoner/doom drone of Guts), the swagger of In For The Kill (which Van Halen covered in their club days) to the very NWOBHM sounding Napoleon Bona Parts 1 & 2. They jumped around stylistically a lot more than later metal bands (some rock tunes, some folk, some funk), but that could basically be said about any of the 70s heavy metal bands.

25. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

Agreed it is relative. But more so I think it's what one defines as heavy. If it's growling and playing a hundred miles an hour, then yes Sabbath would seem pretty tame.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.