Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #54)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Mar 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Well the interest doesn't center on Yuja looking 47 which would be very sad but Kavakos looking 27. But you introduce another possibility: Makeup. So I think we have it scoped out into three possibilities

1. PhotoShop
    2. Botox
    3. Makeup

BTW are you the photographer or makeup artist or just peering over the shoulder of the photographer?

Incidentally I don't care if Kavakos looks like Alfred E Neuman. He is a wonderful violinist and Yuja is a stellar pianist. They make beautiful music together...ahem.

2. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I'm pretty certain mine does have a stereo track. My Ayre player has no display so DVD-As were tricky. However, I believe I ripped the stereo track.

I'll try it on my Oppo.

3. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

If yours is not the same edition as mine, maybe yours has. That might even explain why the stereo track is listed on the back cover of my edition.

4. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

I'm the makeup artist. I think Yuja looks like a teenager.

As for Kavakos. I have seen him. I have not actually met him. I don't think we have any photoshop retouching or makeup going on in that cover photo cover for their new CD. I think that is just how he looks. A beard can hide a lot of age and he is just kind of baby faced. I think he looks about 10 years younger than his actual age.

I don't care what he looks like either. I think he's a pretty marvelous violinist and that is what counts.

5. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

Yes, it was at (the wonderful) Disney Hall but I don't remember the conductor.

It was my first time to hear the Prok #2 live!

6. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

I was there. that was my first exposure to Yuja. Had no idea who she was. Quite an unsettling experience. It was Dutoit. They played Scheherazade in the second half of the concert. I have seen Yuja play Prok II 6 times in concert including the 3 concerts for her last CD. I highly recommend that CD. She took it to another level for her recording. Dare I say she has taken it to yet another level since then? Her performance at Barbican Hall with the LSO a few months ago was beyond belief. She played as if possessed by a demon. I wish that one had been video taped.

Stone Turntable likes this.
  7. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Many of the CD covers are just as bad and perhaps even worse ...

Mr Bass likes this.
  8. Mr Bass

Very interesting; thanks for joining the thread here. I don't think there are any others on the forum. As for Yuja looking like a teenager I often see 13 and 14 year olds when I pass by a university. ;)

9. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to Disc 5 from "Walter Gieseking - Poet of the Keyboard" on EMI. Schumann Piano Concerto Op.54/Franck Symphonic Variations/Grieg Piano Concerto Op.16

Gieseking box.jpg

10. coopmv

Do you own the following set by any chance?

[​IMG]

11. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

I do not. I only have the EMI box. I did not even know who he was prior to getting it, but with such good reviews it seemed a good way to become acquainted with his art. It contains two discs of Debussy.

How does it sound? What I'm listening to right now (referenced in the above post) sounds a bit dated. Not that it sounds "bad," but it doesn't sound like it was recorded last week either.

12. coopmv

I actually do not own this twofer but believe someone at CMC may own it ...

13. coopmv

It is Good Friday and it is time to give what many believe to be the best St Matthew Passion out there a spin ...

[​IMG]

bluemooze and Scott Wheeler like this.
  14. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

This is the only one I've got - now playing "Bach - The Passion According to Saint Matthew" performed by Harper/Jahn/Equiliz/Rintzler/Stampfli/Vienna Academy Chamber Choir/Vienna Choir Boys/Vienna State Symphony Orchestra led by Hans Swarowsky on Nonesuch vinyl.

Bach St Matthew Passion cover.jpg

Bach St Matthew Passion label.jpg

15. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I just received the 4 disc Brilliant box of the LaSalle Quartet playing Shoenberg, Berg and Webern. I really look forward to listening to it.

Robin L and john greenwood like this.
  16. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Those are great works! Enjoy! :wave:

17. coopmv

I lost count on the number of versions of SMP I have, probably somewhere between 10 - 15 on CD alone. From the oldest version by Wilhelm Mengelberg to the latest by Jos van Veldhoven, HIP and non-HIP.

18. Mr Bass

Yes I play the SMP on Easter weekends but I more often listen to the B minor Mass and have more versions of it. Oddly I only have non HIP versions of the SMP in Klemperer and Munchinger although both do avoid Romantic re-orchestration. In every other case I have HIP versions in total or with one or two exceptions at most.

19. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Well, I've completed 6 of the 8 sides, and I'm not enjoying the sonics on this. :( I've got other Herreweghe that I like so maybe I'll pick up his SMP. I'm finished with this one for now.

20. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

007.JPG 008.JPG
    Szymanowski. Symphony No.2 doesn't do much for me, but I really like the rest of the music. Very well performed and recorded.

bluemooze likes this.
  21. coopmv

I have quite a few versions of the B minor Mass as well, though I rarely play it on Easter weekends. In years past, I tended to play Handel Messiah, which I have many versions as well, again my preference is the HIP performance, though I am very fond of the 1976 non-HIP version conducted by Neville Marriner on Argo, a recording that exists in three formats in my classical music collection: LP, CD and open-reel by Barclay-Crocker ...

22. coopmv

Hey, it looks like that McKay Books has many 95 cents deals to be had ... LOL

23. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

You never know. My last time there, about a month ago, I hit the jackpot. Not in the Classical section, but in the Bargains amidst a lot of junk & CDs so scratched that I can't imagine who would buy them.

24. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I own the SACD box (four discs). The sound is not audiophile quality, but a major improvement over the single GROC disc I have by him.

Somewhere I saw that this EMI SACD series was being re-released with the Warner label. At very reasonable prices.

Edit - I see the Warner brand is there on the photo.

bluemooze likes this.
  25. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

You like LPs, right? So far, red label Angels are the best I've heard, though as the originals are EMI you'll probably want to hunt down UK, French or German pressings. And yeah, the 'pastness' of these recordings is baked in, just like with the Living Stereo recordings. However if you want this music in digital form, get the SACDs. There's just more going on. I've got the SACDs and some Blue-label Angel pressings. I must clean then off and report back.

bluemooze likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.