Sinatra / Capitol Sound Quality and General Discussion: "Where Are You?" (1957 album)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Jan 13, 2010.

1. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

BTW, FWIW... I bought the SACD of this a few days ago. Tonight I am going to play the LP followed by the SACD to compare. Will/should I notice any difference? (I do NOT have a SACD player).

2. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

Ah.....see, I'm not a detail-oriented guy, so I missed that. Thanks! (Paul's quoted post reminds me of a "Sinatra" line once delivered by Phil Hartman on SNL, but I digress.)

Bob F, paulmock and MMM like this.
  3. MLutthans

You should not notice any difference, IMO. (I have both.) Also, I'm still not discounting the idea that the LP and SACD were cut from the same digital file. (Sacrilege, I know, and I'm not saying that's the fact of the matter, just that I have good reason to suspect such to possibly be the case.)

paulmock likes this.
  4. MLutthans

Just noticed that the rear-cover of the abridged, re-titled version of this album, retitled "The Night We Called It a Day," has a very odd arranging credit at the bottom!
    $_57SinatraFrontb.jpg $_57SinatraTwo-ferDetail.jpg
    "Arranged and Conducted by Nelson Riddle"

Last edited: May 4, 2018
    CBackley and rxcory like this.
  5. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

It fits well with the "complete album" note.

CBackley likes this.
  6. MLutthans

And yet one more:
    Screen shot 2014-02-14 at 12.31.55 AM.png
    (From the cover of this book: http://www.amazon.com/Frank-Sinatra-Easy-Keyboard-Library/dp/0571529526.)[/quote]

7. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Matt, with those quoted posts, are you trying to confirm the album session the picture belongs to? That's WHERE ARE YOU?, though with the Capitol ring on the mic I'd imagine that was a "staged" shot taken during one of those sessions.

8. MLutthans

Just taken during rehearsal or when "the red light" was off, no? Same deal as usual, I would think. Same suit/tie in all the shots. Same session then, right? I'm just trying to collect all the shots from Where Are You, and stumbled across one I had not seen before. :shrug:

9. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I have no idea exactly when it would have been shot - sorry Matt.

10. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Here's another one, which just showed up on a Twitter feed. Caption reads, "Frank Sinatra, photographed by Herman Leonard, circa 1956," but we know it to be 1957.

FS by Herman Leonard circa 1956.jpg

wave likes this.
  11. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

I would question that photographer id, also. All of the similar photos at MPTV from the same session are credited to Sid Avery.

12. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

-------------------
    In the Wee Small Hours is a must and one of my favorites. I know it is probably just me, but it always bothered me how Sinatra slides up to that opening note on Where Are You? But who can criticize the Chairman?

My LP is SW 855 with the Capitol Rainbow ring on the label. SW1-855 N7" #3 & SW2-855 N 1 2

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  13. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Apparently, the above photo and caption (crediting Herman Leonard as the photographer) come from the Institute of Jazz Studies at Rutgers and a new exhibit at the Smithsonian:

Full caption:

MLutthans and MMM like this.
  14. MLutthans

I hadn't seen this one before:
    $_57kl.jpg
    The other side is highlights of the Sing, Boy, Sing soundtrack by Tommy Sands.

MMM likes this.
  15. MLutthans

From the "didn't see the forest for the trees" department: Post #229 contains yet another photo from that same set that's been under discussion. Here it is again:
    [​IMG]

16. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

And of course there's this ubiquitous photo, shown earlier but just noticed being used as a logo by Universal Music Japan:

UM Japan logo.jpg

BTW, if it's not obvious, the Japanese letters spell "Frank Sinatra." From a Stars and Stripes archive photo:

Frank Sinatra and his Japanese name card, 1962

FS in Japan 1962.jpg

bozburn and MLutthans like this.
  17. MLutthans

Yet another:
    $T2eC161VHJGkE9no8h,l2BRPD5fTEG!~~60_57-1.jpg

18. MLutthans

Found this in another thread from about a year-and-a-half ago, when we were all yacking about the possibility (we have no actual proof, I realize) of the 1983 MFSL stereo LP being digitally mastered:
    (Underlining added by me.)

Tim, could you clarify what you meant by the underlined part? Did you mean 1.) *IF* they both were cut digitally (no proof they were), they would be from different digital tapes; or 2.) digital duping aside, the analog source for any potential digital dupes was different?

Is there something there that you are hearing that points to different lineage in terms of ultimate original source tapes? My assumption was always that the MFSL 1983 LP was sourced from original stereo mixdown tapes, with I Cover the Waterfront sourced from the original mono session tape from the mono LP master, with the two being "joined" either by physical splicing or by digital work (which was possible at the time), while the 1984 Alan Dell digital LP would be sourced from those same two analog sources, duped to digital.

Thanks,
    Matt

19. MLutthans

Yet one more photo from the same batch:
    $_57-7SHTV.jpg

20. MLutthans

And another:
    Frank-sinatra-c-mid-1950s-q-hat.jpg

Simon A and MMM like this.
  21. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

I've just gotten a copy from the library of the 1998 Jazz Heritage 514991T reissue (stereo) under license from Capitol. In the booklet it lists Larry Walsh as the mastering engineer. Matt earlier, post #118, lists the DR range of the 1991 Walsh remix/mastering. Well...here's the numbers for the '98 Jazz Heritage (1) release followed by the earlier Matt posting (2) of the Walsh mastering. They are slightly different..but this disc sounds great...maybe some NR as Matt mentioned..but not detrimentally IMO. OH..I fixed Matt's original sequence as it was a bit out of order back in post #118. Was Matt's from a Mono...or Stereo ? And..does anyone else have this Jazz Heritage release ?

(1)

Analyzed folder: F:\FSWhereJazzHeritage1998\
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DR Peak RMS Filename
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR13 -1.73 dB -18.90 dB Track01.wav
    DR11 -6.02 dB -21.09 dB Track02.wav
    DR11 -2.65 dB -18.76 dB Track03.wav
    DR11 -5.03 dB -20.48 dB Track04.wav
    DR12 -4.08 dB -22.98 dB Track05.wav
    DR12 -4.92 dB -20.99 dB Track06.wav
    DR11 -5.15 dB -20.54 dB Track07.wav
    DR12 -2.80 dB -18.66 dB Track08.wav
    DR13 -2.70 dB -21.14 dB Track09.wav
    DR10 -5.53 dB -19.85 dB Track10.wav
    DR12 -4.50 dB -19.52 dB Track11.wav
    DR13 -6.25 dB -23.34 dB Track12.wav

DR12 -6.42 dB -21.01 dB Track13.wav
    DR12 -5.76 dB -20.53 dB Track14.wav
    DR12 -3.91 dB -19.30 dB Track15.wav
    DR12 -3.02 dB -18.74 dB Track16.wav

Number of files: 16
    Official DR value: DR12

(2)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
  22. MLutthans

The Walsh CD is stereo on all original LP tracks EXCEPT "I Cover the Waterfront," which was recorded "mono only."

By the way, Musical Heritage Society also cloned the In the Wee Small Hours CD for CD issue, licensed by Capitol. May have done other titles, too.
    http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...recordings-thread.161334/page-22#post-4727255

23. OnTheRoad

I kinda wonder why the slight differences in RMS and peak levels between the orig. '91 Walsh (Where are You?)...and the '98 Jazz Heritage. I mean they're so slight...

24. MLutthans

MHS probably *literally* duped the CD, and some sort of little imperfection developed. I mean....1/100th of a decibel? 4/100ths (=1/25th) of a decibel? Inaudible, insignficant, non-concerning.
    [​IMG]

CBackley likes this.
  25. OnTheRoad

OH well.....I was just harking on it....sorta like those in some of the Steely Dan comparison threads....get just a bit microscopic with peak EAC values when looking for the Steve Hoffman masterings of Katy Lied and Aja....but I ain't worried about it !

I'm not trying to miss a boulder landing the lunar module !!!!!!!!! :D