Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #54)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Mar 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

I occasionally buy a lightly scratched CD, since they are returnable for credit. I've only had to return a couple over the years. I went out to Mckay's this morning & picked up a few CDs & LPs; nothing like the last time. It's a 15-mile round trip, so I only go about once a month.

2. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Now playing the following CD from my early music collection ...

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  3. coopmv

This is the advantage of a B&M store over Amazon. I have been burnt a number of times when the sellers misrepresented the condition of some used (and OOP) CD's. The hassle of returning the CD is just too much for me to bother ...

4. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to "Elgar - Violin Concerto/Vaughan Williams - The Lark Ascending" performed by Hilary Hahn and the London Symphony Orchestra led by Colin Davis on DG. "The Lark Ascending" is a very beautiful piece.

Hahn Elgar.jpg

5. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

So far I haven't had a problem with anything I bought from an Amazon seller. Now that I think of it, it seems I've only bought used jazz online; all the classical & pop has been new.

6. coopmv

I have the same recording in SACD format. I actually enjoy the following version by a very young (late) Iona Brown ...

[​IMG]

Mr Bass likes this.
  7. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Nice. I love the two fantasias as well. Don't have this recording though.

8. no.nine

no.nine (not his real name)

Now Playing:

[​IMG]

Chopin: Ballades & Nocturnes
    Arthur Schoonderwoerd, fortepiano
    (Alpha 147)

I guess this must be an unusual way of presenting this music, with Ballades and Nocturnes alternating throughout the course of the CD, but it works for me, maybe because I wasn't previously familiar with these pieces. (I never said I was an expert in Classical music!) I don't know how these performances stack up with others, but I find them to be very satisfying. I did, however, bring this disc to a friend's house who knows this music well, and he was quite impressed with the playing. One piece didn't meet up to his expectations (I can't remember which one) but overall he gave this CD high marks. The sound of this fortepiano is pretty surprising also, sounding pretty rich, not at all hollow like some fortepianos do. Even the low notes are quite full sounding.

As I'm writing this, several Amazon Marketplace sellers have used and new copies of this priced very cheaply in case anyone's interested. And audio samples are available:

http://www.amazon.com/Chopin-Ballades-Nocturnes-Schoonderwoerd/dp/B0023T9ZOS

bluemooze likes this.
  9. coopmv

It is an inexpensive recording ...

10. coopmv

More early music, now playing the following CD ...

[​IMG]

Mr Bass and bluemooze like this.
  11. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

The LP is lovely.

bluemooze likes this.
  12. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to Disc 3 - "Court Music and Songs from the Age of the Discoverers 1492-1553" from "Espana Antigua" performed by Hesperion XX on Virgin Classics.

espana antigua savall.jpg

13. coopmv

Now playing the following SACD from my early music collection ...

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  14. coopmv

Actually, this was from the mid 1600's. Perhaps it is more like early baroque ...

15. coopmv

Now playing the following CD from my Bach collection for a second listen. Too many CD's have been listened to only once ...

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  16. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

First listen to Disc 8 "The Classical Concerto" from the "Music Of The Enlightenment" box on Harmonia Mundi. Mozart Piano Concerto 21 performed by Stefan Vlador and Camerata Salzburg / Beethoven Piano Concerto 2 performed by Paul Lewis and the BBC Symphony Orchestra led by Jiri Belohlavek.

music of the enlightenment.jpg

17. coopmv

I do not have any big box by HM but suspect I may already have many singles that are in this box ...

18. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to Disc 3 from "Alfred Cortot - The Master Pianist" on EMI.

Debussy - Children's Corner/Preludes Livre 1
    Ravel - Sonatine/Jeux d'eau

Cortot The Master Pianist.jpg

George P likes this.
  19. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Fortunately (or unfortunately?) for me I don't already have most of what's in the box, so it makes a good addition to my collection and makes me aware of many possibilities for further exploration. :)

20. coopmv

Now playing CD6 from the following set for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

I have all the Cortot's Chopin works on Naxos Historical ...

George P and bluemooze like this.
  21. coopmv

I dashed for the following set (OOP now) when it was first released from Amazon UK, which had a great price. While I already had most of the recordings, I did not have Karajan's Bruckner Symphonies, which was available as a box at a highway robbery price. I also was missing some Haydn Symphonies. The prices of the Karajan's Bruckner and Haydn would have added up to more than the price of the big box. As such, it was a no-brainer. It turned out the Beethoven Symphonies in the big box are the 77 cycle, which I have on LP but not on CD. So that was overall a very good deal for me ...

[​IMG]

geralmar and bluemooze like this.
  22. coopmv

Now playing CD7, the last CD from the following set for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

23. coopmv

Just checked out the disc listing for this box on Amazon. As expected, I have probably something like 98% of the works, though by different performers.

bluemooze likes this.
  24. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to "Thomas Tallis - The Lamentations Of Jeremiah" performed by The Hilliard Ensemble on ECM vinyl.

Tallis Hilliard cover.jpg

Tallis Hilliard label.jpg

25. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to "Melancolia - Spanish Arias And Songs" performed by Patricia Petibon accompanied by Orquesta Nacional de Espana led by Josep Pons. I want to marry her. :love:

petibon melancolia.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.