Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #54)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Mar 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John S

John S Forum Resident

Right now...
    Mozart piano sonatas: KV 457, KV 279, KV 576
    Fantasia, KV 475
    Mitsuko Uchida, piano, 1984

[​IMG]

bluemooze and Mr Bass like this.
  2. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Your single is probably included in the following box I bought last year ...

[​IMG]

bluemooze and Mr Bass like this.
  3. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

I don't think any single conductor has managed the cycle outstandingly. I like some of his Mahler performances but he was plagued by very poor recording by the Philips engineers in many of them. The Ninth for example has almost no dynamic range at least in its LP issue. I don't know what tricks they did with the CDs. He got better engineering support with Bruckner for some reason.

John S likes this.
  4. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

011.JPG
    Some old-school Bach, recorded in Kingsway Hall, 1967.

bluemooze likes this.
  5. sankalp1989

sankalp1989 New Member

I din know musch of these artists... But thank yu all nw i noe a bit... They really are great musicians... :)

6. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Nice to have you join the party. Given the sinking price of CDs it is not expensive to build a music library these days. If you are into vinyl then it might be more expensive at least for the audiophile labels.

7. Joe071

Joe071 Forum Resident

Yeah, you're absolutely right, I only have one Mahler complete cycle, that of Bernstein, and am not happy with all the performances there. But judging by both performance and sonics on this one, I'm quite intrigued by the set. Thanks for the Bruckner nod, I've been meaning to check it out, but Furwnaengler always seems to have gotten in the way.

John S likes this.
  8. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

The mastering of the set is quite good.

9. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Now enjoying this lovely set, so much more sensitively played than Hamelin's complete set of the sonatas on the same label. I've yet to hear a disc by this pianist that I didn't thoroughly enjoy.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2014
    bluemooze likes this.
  10. John S

John S Forum Resident

I don't think I've ever heard any Medtner. So much music, so little time....

11. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

That reasonably priced disc an ideal place to start! :wave:

12. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

13. drh

drh Talking Machine

Well, sorry you're not getting to enjoy it this time--maybe better luck later? ;)

Must confess I don't have a lot of Medtner. A goodly fraction of the little that I do have is by Moiseiwitsch on 78s, but I have Medtner himself in, of all things, Beethoven's Appassionata.

14. John S

John S Forum Resident

"horrendous keys like G# minor with gobs of double sharps" Enough to give this poor sight-reader nightmares.
    "Messiaen-on-quaaludes pace" Reminds me of a certain Bernstein M2.....
    "There is, by the way, a pub right next door to the venue; I’m just saying." :D

15. ubertrout

ubertrout Forum Resident

There is no longer a Philips label in classical music - part of the terms of the deal through which Universal acquired the Philips recordings is that they wouldn't use the name - apparently the electronics company wanted to retain it exclusively. This is why all Philips recordings are being released as Decca now. Unfortunately, Universal also let go of most of the Philips tech folks.
    Of course, for this cycle two of the symphonies have been released by Pentatone (former Philips people) on 2CH/Quad hybrid SACD. Those are the go-tos for sound quality.

16. ubertrout

ubertrout Forum Resident

Of course, Stephen Isserlis responded in the comment section...

17. John S

John S Forum Resident

Yes and a fine response it was. As for me, my initent was not to denigrate Medtner -- how can I, never heard him. I was quoting Mr. Denk's words as I found them amusing.

18. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Agreed +10000!

Indispensable! One of my first cd purchases, marked as the best recording ever of these Works by Diapason's Dictionnaire des Disques et des Compactes (1990).

19. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

20. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

Mine is from the 80s; I don't know if it was remastered for the later reissues.

21. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Me as well.

Thankfully, Messrs. Denk and Isserlis have mended fences as they are playing together on Saturday night. (No Medtner though.)

22. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

I wish all reissues would give some information on the original issue of the recording. I wonder if Universal is allowed to even mention Philips in the booklet. Of course they probably couldn't be bothered anyway.

23. John S

John S Forum Resident

Mended the Medtner fences....
    Speaking of Denk, any opinions on these?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to "Legends Of St Nicholas - Medieval Chant and Polyphony" performed by Anonymous 4 on Harmonia Mundi.

anonymous 4 legends of st nicholas.jpg

25. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Scott Wheeler and bluemooze like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.