Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #55)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Apr 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Continued from here.

Welcome!

This thread (and the 54 that have preceded it) is for all things that relate to Classical Music. Feel free to post what you're listening to, recordings you recommend, recent classical purchases, classical concerts, classical works, classical composers or classical performers.

Please discuss audio hardware and music formats in threads dedicated to those topics.

Beginners are especially welcome. Feel free to post any questions that you may have about classical music and/or classical recordings. This includes requests for recommendations for recordings of particular works/composers, etc. We have lots of friendly, respectful and knowledgeable members who will be glad to help you out.

And as always, I would like to extend my sincere gratitude to all of the regulars (you know who you are) that continue to make this thread an enjoyable, civilized and informative experience! You guys are still the best!

:wave:

2. supernaut

supernaut Forum Resident

anybody see the Berlin Philharmonic play Ligeti's Atmospheres and Wagner's Prelude to Lohengrin together on Sunday - they go together very well

3. George P

Late (and really, most of solo) Brahms is indeed wonderful! After listening to many different pianists play these works, I seem to always find something missing. I can't even always say what it is, but I have no clear favorite in solo Brahms. Perhaps the music is multidimensional and each pianist looks at it from a different angle, but I wish I found someone who nails these works for me. I've tried Backhaus (mono and stereo), Katchen, Kovacevich, Rubinstein(mono and stereo), Gieseking, Gould, Alexeev, Lupu, Ax, Pogorelich and mono Kempff. Of these, the pianists who spoke to me most deeply were Gieseking (earlier the better) and Gould. I like Gieseking more, but his earliest recordings are spread out on many different, and often OOP, releases. He did later recordings of Op. 76, 79, 116, 118 and 119 on Angel LP in 1951, but they too are OOP and to my knowledge never had a legit (I have a filtered Archipel) CD release.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
    Robin L likes this.
  4. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Picking up from the prior thread - it seems to me that as far as classical soloists go, double bass pretty much starts and ends with Edgar Meyer. And he pretty much can and does play everything. He composes classical music (for himself and others), has recorded several of Bach's cello suites on bass, played bluegrass (and classical) with Bela Fleck and others, dabbled in jazz and more. He is another Macarthur Award winner.

5. john greenwood

Peraihia?

On a related note, I gave a first listen to Peraihia's account of Beethoven's 1st piano concerto on the way to work this morning, and I would rank it as a favorite. There's a Mozartian feel to it that works for me - it's lighter than Fleisher, but it becomes potent when called for.

6. George P

I have some of his Brahms too. It's enjoyable, but not special. I'd say the same of his Chopin.

7. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Now playing:
    Georges Bizet – Jeux d'enfants
    Modest Mussorgsky – Night on Bare Mountain
    — Philharmonia Orchestra — Carlo Maria Giulini (EMI / Warner Classics)

8. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to "Miracles Of Santiago - Music from the Codex Calixtinus" by Anonymous 4 on Harmonia Mundi.

anonymous 4 miracles of santiago.jpg

9. ubertrout

ubertrout Forum Resident

Have you heard the Double Bass Concerto of Serge Koussevitzky (who himself played the instrument)?

10. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

It was sankalp1989 who asked the question about certain soloists at the end of the previous thread so responses should probably go to that poster.

sankalp1989 said: thank you n Yeah thats true .. Could you suggest me some great instrument artists preferably double bass violin, Guitar, flute n saxo

11. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Now Listening To

Dvorak: Symphony 8. Colin Davis, Concertgebouw. Phi Hol.

dvorak8.jpg

Robin L and bluemooze like this.
  12. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

There is some pleasant light listening on these two discs.
    Schubert: Complete Overtures 1
    Christian Benda
    Prague Sinfonia
    Naxos 8.570328
    Recorded 2006, released 2009

Schubert: Complete Overtures 2
    Christian Benda
    Prague Sinfonia
    Naxos 8.570329

BendaSchubertOvertures1.jpg
    [​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  13. john greenwood

Another conductor - Zubin Mehta - has a famous recording on the bass. He performs Schubert's Trout Quintet with Barenboim, Perlman, Zuckerman and du Pre in a famous video documentary/concert.

14. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

You might want to check out:

[​IMG]

Nicholas Angelich is on the slow side but the music can take it. Very beautiful capture of piano tone.

15. George P

Thanks a million! I love his Rachmaninoff etudes (have you heard these?), so I will definitely check that out!

16. jimsumner

jimsumner Senior Member

Bottesini was a double-bass virtuoso who composed numerous work for the instrument, so that he would have something to perform in concert.

17. drh

drh Talking Machine

...and recorded the middle mvt. (with piano accompaniment by Pierre Luboshutz, of Luboshutz and Nemenoff fame) for Victor during the 78 era. I have two copies, one a special Christmas release sent to reviewers as a premium, and one incorporated into a set of various double bass solos by Koussevitzky issued originally as a benefit for the BSO and later, I think, given more general release.

After Koussevitzky, the best-known soloist was Gary Karr, who recorded a bunch of stuff for Golden Crest LPs. He recorded the entire Koussevitzky concerto with the Oslo PO under Antonini for CRI. If memory serves, he fell heir to Koussevitzky's bass--something to do with Kouss.'s widow hearing him and offering it, or some such.

Another double bass soloist who shows up on a number of records is Georg Hortnagel. I'm thinking he participated in more than one account of the Trout Quintet in the latter quarter of the 20th c., but beyond that I don't know much about him.

18. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

This too is OOP and I was forced to find a used copy ...

bluemooze likes this.
  19. coopmv

Ordered the following box earlier today. I may get Szell's Beethoven Symphonies at a later date. While I already have close to 30 Beethoven Symphonies cycles, none is by an American orchestra and Cleveland may be the only American orchestra that will grace my collection ...

[​IMG]

rockerreds likes this.
  20. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

First listen to CD 11 "Symphony: The Monuments Of Classicism - Haydn Symphony 92/Mozart Symphony 41" performed by the Freiburger Barockorchester from the "Music Of The Enlightenment" box on Harmonia Mundi.

music of the enlightenment.jpg

21. coopmv

Most recordings of Colin Davis with the RCO on Philips are excellent IMO ...

22. coopmv

I have quite a few recordings by the Freiburger Barockorchester but they are all baroque works ...

23. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to CD 1 from "The Romantic Cello" performed by Timora Rosler and Klara Wurtz on Brilliant.
    Chopin - Polonaise Brillante
    De Falla - Suite populaire Espagnole
    Debussy - Sonata for Cello and Piano
    Britten - Sonata in C major
    Bartok - 1st Rhapsody

Klara Wurtz The Romantic Cello.jpg

24. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

I enjoy listening to their performances very much. They play well and they are recorded well. Have about 12-15 CDs of theirs, including the 10 CD "Edition" box on DHM/Sony.

25. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

002.JPG
    The Ravel has Bernstein conducting the Philharmonia Orchestra from the piano; recorded in London, 7/1/46. 'Facsimilie' was recorded with the 'RCA Victor Orchestra' in New York, 1/24/47. The Gershwin is credited to the same orchestra, recorded 12/6/47.

huge logo and bluemooze like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.