Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #55)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Apr 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

004.JPG
    Unusually for a Decca issue, this was not recorded by Decca but supplied to them by Katin. First issued in the U.S. on London Stereo Treasury STS 15305 (1/76). My CD dates to 4/89. Recorded 7/72.

bluemooze likes this.
  2. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

009.JPG
    This guy can really sing, opera & lieder, mostly in French. Recordings from 1980-98. 2-CD set issued 2005.

delmonaco and bluemooze like this.
  3. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I ordered the Beethoven set yesterday together with the Machaut disc mentioned in the prior thread.

bluemooze likes this.
  4. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

No, I have not. Possessing the usual levels of musical snobbery in my younger days, I generally avoided Rachmaninoff. It is only now that I'm listening to his Symphonies. I think I've had Stokowski's very late recording of the Third Symphony for a decade before actually playing it a few months ago. I managed to find good LPs [Boult, Ormandy] of the other 2 symphonies soon thereafter.

I have been aware of Rachmaninoff's Sacred Choral Music since 1987, thanks to Ellen Holmes, my partner for some years. Ellen Holmes produced a series of programs for the Music From The Hearts of Space. leaning heavily on 'Western Classical Music' while illuminating some of the lesser known corners of Classical music, like John Dowland or the Sacred Choral Music of Russia. I did the technical work of assembling the shows, dubbing from LPs or CDs to reel to reel at 15 ips and then transferring the analog tape via a Sony a/d converter to a betamax tape. The process would be so much easier these days—an 11 year old could do it on a smartphone if it hold their attention. But this was back in the dawn of digital. Music From The Hearts of Space was one of the first programs to be distributed via satellite. This was back in 1987.

Here's a recent program of Ellen's for HOS, gives a good idea of her musical taste and deep knowledge of spiritually themed or inspired/inspiring musics from the classical tradition:

https://www.hos.com/php/showProgram.php?program=0763

After hearing Rachmaninoff's Sacred Choral music, I got caught up in his better known pieces but was never all that attracted to the solo piano music. I suppose Emperor Joseph the II's reaction to Mozart might apply here, for some inexplicable reason feeling like the gaudy surfaces of the music might be just too much work. This situation obviously needs to be rectified. Point me to the one indispensable portal to Rachmaninoff's Solo piano music and remember that I'm a cheapskate audiophile. If there should appear some absurd bargain in this territory I would doubtless procure said object in the very near future.

bluemooze likes this.
  5. Collector Man

Collector Man Well-Known Member

Agreed! Jose van Dam - unlike too many well known and recorded singers one could think of - always....knew exactly what suited and fitted his voice and what to avoid. Intelligence, artistry and sensitivity also went hand in hand with his performances.
    His name on a recording ........one never ever had the slightest concerns.
    Recently I listened to a radio presentation of a recording of Faure's Requiem. The baritone - there used - was a much raved-about internationally known 'bit of beefcake' according to many female classical enthusiasts I know.( So much for their critical musical judgements!!!) I have heard this other particular singer in question -live - in operatic parts. I was stuck how underpowered this 'wantabee' now sounded. His voice was not sitting 'on and arould its natural gravity point'. I am neither surprised to hear this other under-trained creature I speak of, is now leaving alone opera and concentrating more on stage musicals and Broadway concert work.

I quickly put on a EMI recording of Van Dam doing the same Faure piece with Barbara Hendricks What a day and night difference..

6. John S

John S Forum Resident

I find myself playing this more than I thought I would...like right now

[​IMG]

Bonus on this ART re-issue is a pretty good Ravel Gaspard

7. Collector Man

Collector Man Well-Known Member

I was reading Robin L's message, just previously before seeing your reply to him.
    As if by magic, the first recording to recommend to him as a great Rachmaninoff example that came into my head .......was this recording. You delightfully 'beat me to the punch' as they say. After I first purchased a copy, I 'lost it somewhere' in my large collection, here at home. Unable to bear the then - possibility that I had lost it for good, I repurcheased it. Then by luck, I found the first copy. I am happily keeping both copies. It is not hard to hear in Gravilov's Rachmaninoff, that he had received tutoring from the great pianist Richter.

If someone is looking for a fabulous modern performance of the Rachmaninoff 4 Piano Concertos and Rhapsody.... in glorious digital 'analogue -like sound', try sampling Nicolai Lugansky's versions on Warner Bros. An alternate and the the cheapest way to buy them is in a 9 CD box set of his various pianistic performances.
    Where Rachmaninoff is concerned, I am always interested 'in buying yet another version' of anything he composed.
    Someone mention Nicolai Demidenko the painist here recently -playing Medtner.
    IMHO- In Rachmaninoff he comes across as stripping the music of any poetry, and being artistically 'thick' and 'a keyboard basher'.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
    John S likes this.
  8. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Robin - this CD is so good it has been issued at least three different times, on three different labels:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003CP1SRE?pc_redir=1397548153&robot_redir=1

The Gavrilov is great, of course, but his friend Richter is unbeatable in this music. Also check out Richter's Rach 2 on DG (for the best sound, get the original issue that pairs it with a Prokofiev PC.)

9. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Now Listening To

Bruckner: Symphony 9. Mehta, VPO. UK London ffrr.

bruckner9.jpg

10. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to "The Second Circle - Love Songs of Francesco Landini" by Anonymous 4 on Harmonia Mundi.

anonymous 4 the second circle.jpg

Mr Bass likes this.
  11. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Inspired by this thread, now listening to "Rachmaninov - Preludes/Etudes-tableaux" performed by Richter on Regis. I can't remember for sure which forum it was, but I believe I learned of this recording on this forum some time ago.

rachmaninov preludes richter.jpg

12. George P

And?

13. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Nice, I don't think that I have ever seen a picture of Mehta in his younger days.

John S likes this.
  14. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

And I'm grateful to whoever recommended it. (maybe it was you? :)) I like the music and I think the playing is terrific.

15. George P

I am not sure if it was me, but I wouldn't be surprised. :)

Glad you are enjoying it.

16. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

I don't know if this (Binkley's Studio for Early Music, EMI Germany) was ever released on CD but it is an excellent performance and recording of Landini's songs. A very close rival to Machaut in terms of compositional excellence. Interestingly he was blind so I'm not sure how the music was notated.

landini.JPG

17. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

A lot of folks I recorded were students of Thomas Binkley.

bluemooze and Mr Bass like this.
  18. George P

[​IMG]

Speaking of Richter, spinning this new find. (Also later issued in The Master series, not sure if they are the same mastering or not.)

M.Deutrom and Mr Bass like this.
  19. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

They have pretty fast tempos but not quite as fast as Hilary Hahn's in her Bach Violin Concertos, which just sounds awful to me ...

20. coopmv

He was a favorite of HvK, who had him as sololist in the 77 and 84 Beethoven 9th ...

21. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

Try to track this one down. He's terrific in Mahler, and Casadesus supports him quite well.

2598937.jpg

22. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

….And speaking of Mahler-- I have the impression that most here dislike David Zinman and most, if not all, his works, but his Zurich SACD recording of Das Lied von der Erde has been released (though its US availability is spotty, at least for the time being). The Busoni is an intriguing coupling…. If anyone has early an review, I'd much appreciate it.
    zinman_das_liede.jpg

23. coopmv

Now playing the following CD from my early music collection ...

[​IMG]

SteelyTom and bluemooze like this.
  24. coopmv

I am actually somewhat neutral about Zinman ...

25. coopmv

I actually have the Beethoven Symphonies by Zinman and the Tonhalle Orchestra. The performance was quite middle-of-the-road but not bad ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.