Hit Songs where the Original Performance was Filmed

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Alert, Apr 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fourfeathers

fourfeathers Forum Resident

They aren't exactly hit songs but on Archives Volume One, there's awesome footage of Neil and the Stray Gators recording 'Words', 'Are You Ready For the Country' and 'Alabama', all off the hit record Harvest. Some of the coolest footage I've ever seen!

Alert likes this.
  2. Alert

Alert Forum Resident Thread Starter

Is that the version of "Words" that takes up all of side three of "Journey Through the Past?"

I've often listened to that -- and the long "working" version of "Alabama" from the same album -- appreciating the gloriously grungy and heavy sound of the guitars.

Wow, I'd like to see that!

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  3. fourfeathers

fourfeathers Forum Resident

Now that I think about it, there's also footage of the recording of 'A Man Needs A Maid' and 'There's a World' too! That set is a real treasure trove of classic Neil studio footage.

4. Alert

At first glance I would suspect this to be a "promo" put together after-the-fact and, thus, not film of the actual recording. But it's obvious this was filmed in the studio where the song was recorded (Le Studio in Quebec). So it's possible that this meets the criteria.

Here's what guitarist Alex Lifeson had to say about his "Tom Sawyer" solo: "I winged it. Honest! I came in, did five takes, then went off and had a cigarette. I'm at my best for the first two takes; after that, I overthink everything and I lose the spark. Actually, the solo you hear is composed together from various takes."

Unlike "It Was a Very Good Year" and "Alfie" in which complete track after complete track was recorded with the best take being selected for release -- or the live performances ("A Boy Named Sue," etc) -- rock studio songs like "Tom Sawyer" tend to be pieced together from many different studio elements (including overdubs).

However, if cameras are present and utilized during the recording sessions it's possible to have a filmed version of the recording. In fact, in some instances it will be obvious when the film is actually depicting the recording (example: the banter at the end of "Hey Bulldog").

5. I realise the end result was compiled from several takes (due to engineer/producer Mack introducing the band to the concept of punching in to keep the recordings as fresh as when ideas were first played, mostly during initial jam sessions), but you can see portions of Queen's One Vision being created in the song's music video. Also, there is an extended "making of" clip that shows even more of the group in Musicland Studios, and I suspect Queen Productions have far more than just those recently unearthed bits from the much earlier News Of The World sessions in the vaults yet to be seen as well...

6. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

I thought of another one: "We Are the World", the song Micheal Jackson & Lionel Ritchie wrote, and sundry pop stars sang on. The filming of the stars laying down the vocals was turned into a video to promote the single, the proceeds of which went to fighting famine in Africa.

7. Frittenköter

Frittenköter Forum Resident

the "One Vision" music video is this trope done really well. Seeing Freddie singing this visibly excited and seeing them goof off adds to the enjoyment. I prefer these kinds of videos to most music videos.

8. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

"Chicken-feed, baby!"

:D

theMess likes this.
  9. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

The promos for these look like vocal sessions but may be staged:

"Águas de Março" - Antonio Carlos Jobim & Elis Regina
    "Only Yesterday" - Carpenters

10. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

Funny. The unplugged "All Apologies" is the version they play on the radio in my town.

11. JRM

JRM Forum Resident

12. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

The only song on Let It Be that appears to be a straight take from the movie (to my ears anyway) is "Two of Us," which was not a hit.

13. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

"Tragedy" - Bee Gees

theMess likes this.
  14. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

XTC recording Towers of London

VERY cool bit of film

theMess likes this.
  15. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

The rooftop versions of One After 909, I've Got A Feeling and Dig A Pony are in the film and on the album, but none of those were hits either.

16. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

"Feelin' Stronger Every Day" - Chicago (from the 1973 album "Chicago VI")

After recording all of Chicago's first five albums - 1969-1972 (including the live album "Chicago At Carnegie Hall") in New York City, producer James William Guercio had his own Caribou Studios built in Nederland, Colorado during 1972, finished in time for the band to record their sixth album the following February 1973. It would remain their recording base for the next four years.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
    driverdrummer, Alert and Mal like this.
  17. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

18. zobalob

zobalob Senior Member

The Hollies "On a Carousel", the recording session was filmed in 1967.

Alert likes this.
  19. Alert

This is great, thanks!

Too bad it doesn't go on for another five to ten seconds so it doesn't cut during the fade...

20. readr

readr Forum Resident

Cheap Trick - I Want You To Want Me (Live)

21. ferdinandhudson

ferdinandhudson Forum Resident

This was completely staged for the TV special, shot well after the actual recording of the song.

Mal likes this.
  22. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Those three songs were recorded live at First Avenue (the released versions were edited and received overdubs) but the film 'performances' are staged recreations performed to the recorded tracks.

Not that this takes away from their greatness :)

markbrow and JuanTCB like this.
  23. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

Mal - he was really lip-synching to his own live tracks? That's hilarious! The wee purple man had me fooled for 30 years...

24. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

The most electric mimed performances ever :agree:

25. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

^

Well, I suppose the "Sign 'O' The Times" movie recreations are up there too.

Prince is so talented he even mimes better than everyone else :D

Last edited: May 1, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.