The Black Crowes - Amorica -- What's your favorite song?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mick_sh, Apr 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Further

Further Forum Resident

Not on amorica.

If Tall had been released when it was supposed to have been, I'm sure it would have been called that as well. Hi-Head makes no sense other than getting away from the obvious drug reference.

Hep Alien likes this.
  2. RickStark79

RickStark79 Forum Resident

Wiser Time by a mile. P.25 London would be a distant second

3. cublowell

cublowell Forum Resident

Just out of curiosity, does anyone prefer Tall to Amorica? Overall, I'm glad they shelved Tall and made Amorica, though I wish Dirty Hair Halo, Tornado, Thunderstorm 6:54, and Lowdown in place of Ballad In Urgency would have made it also.

4. ShawnX

ShawnX Forum Resident

I love the flow from Ballad in Urgency into Wiser Time.

But I love this album and all the related bits and pieces. Gone is a killer openning.

Descending the perfect closing. This album got a lot of play in my car/at home.

5. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

yes - I know - long time fan here!

6. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

Wiser Time for me too.

I can't decide between which I prefer. The Tall version of Wiser is slower, much more like they play Wiser in concert which make me think they themselves must prefer the Tall version.

And Thunderstorm 6:54 is an absolute gem of a song. If that's the quality of their outtakes I want to hear more. :cool:

Hep Alien likes this.
  7. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

This is where my deluxe edition idea comes in. I'd like to hear the tracks as they were - not the remixing done on them for the Tall/Lost Corwes release.

8. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

Makes you wonder what version of the song someone is referring to when they spell it: Hi Head Blues.

9. heatherly

heatherly Well-Known Member

A Conspiracy

10. JPJs Bass Guitar

JPJs Bass Guitar Forum Resident

Absolutely right about the unreleased tracks not being officially available to buy - definitely missing an opportunity there.

I actually feel the Croweology release was as good an opportunity as any. 1 album of reworked classics, and re-recordings of old, previously unreleased tracks would have been more satisfactory than poor re-recordings of perfection like Ballad and Wiser.

It is fortunate however that they sell live shows online - otherwise tracks like Bewildered, Title Song, Nothing Love Everything, Name Like Music would only be available in audience recordings.

Also, if you look hard enough there are quite a lot of unreleased Crowes tracks available in trading circles but I don't think we can talk about that here so ...

As for Amorica, almost impossible to pick a favourite, but it's Descending. Ed Harsch is definitely missed ...

onanboy and Hep Alien like this.
  11. ShawnX

ShawnX Forum Resident

Maybe a 5 CD box set w/ DVD of a concert with Marc Ford.

Material from throughout the bands career. All unreleased, of course. :agree:

Hep Alien likes this.
  12. Carserguev

Carserguev Forum Resident

DESCENDING!!!! Ever since it came out, my first listen, I had to rewind and play Descending a dozen times in a row, it's a song I will never tire off, the piano outro by Ed is lovely, the "descending" riff motif, or whatever it's called, is perfect, lovely and apropos; it gets under my skin big time, even 19 years later. Also, it's a perfect closer! Just awesome.

On the other hand, I hate P.25 London, I've never found any redeeming or appealing qualities in it. :sigh:

13. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

Of course - I'm long time fan - I've got all those - at least the ones that circulate. But even then - quite a bit of unreleased tracks that circulate are cassette quality and you know they exist on DAT somewhere (in better quality).

The Crowes just need to release that stuff - it's better than what we have from trading circles.

14. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

Sounds good - but i believe the current MGT is inept to do that.

15. Canadacrowe

Canadacrowe Forum Resident

Wow that is a tough one – I went with Descending (love the piano outro and the slide guitar that accompanies the “slide like mercury” line) but there are too many choices. Wiser and Non-Fiction, got a bit burnt out of these two from the live shows, but undeniably great songs.

Agreed on some of the above posts – Crowes have some of the oddest management decisions in music. Sounds like there’s lots of cool stuff stashed away. I like the live downloads they offer, have bought many, but wished they would go further back into the archive for Southern Harmony and Amorica era shows. The NYC box set was a cool idea, but recording quality is a bit sub-par in my opinion. Marc and Ed both out and then back, a bit of a revolving hired gun guitar situation (though I think all have done an admirable job).

This may be out of their control, but even the RSD choice of the Jimmy Page shows (which is neat, but I found it fairly often) and a reissue of Warpaint (which I never saw during RSD, maybe never materialized) while their back catalogue seems to be in a permanent stage of delay according to amazon.

My coolest music experience ever – attending one of the recording sessions in Woodstock – I’ve seen them live many times, coast-to-coast, but that will never be matched.

Hep Alien likes this.
  16. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

I thought I remember Crowes archivist (boa) state some time ago that the SBD shows from 1995 and earlier are spotty 9in quality). Some circulate already and I seem to remember that the collection of SBD shows isn't as deep as it is post 1995.

It's unfortunate but there is so much in the sessions vault cica 1997 and earlier that it's just plain silly they don't sell it to fans!

17. Canadacrowe

Canadacrowe Forum Resident

Makes sense on the sound quality for those earlier shows.

For recorded sessions, even later then 1997 -- the Woodstock recording that I attended -- would love a set of all those sessions. They did multiple takes of a few songs, including Lizzie May that never appeared until the CRB version, over the course of 3 weekends (just the sessions that public could attend). Add in covers -- night I was there was Sweet Nuthin, which was on the DVD. Think it was the weekend before Levon Helm sat in. I do recognize maybe I am being a bit of a completest here, but all those sessions were professionally recorded for the double album, would be cool to hear them. Night I was at included a guy falling over his chair mid-song and crashing into a fireplace grate, which was pretty funny.

ShawnX likes this.
  18. ShawnX

ShawnX Forum Resident

Well... I'm sure cost would be a problem. Given that sets by band that have sold more then the Crowes have become difficult.

But maybe some limited release on CD and LP? I wish it would happen.

BTW - Bought CRB's new album yesterday. :)

19. ShawnX

ShawnX Forum Resident

Wow...thanks for sharing. Did you meet the band?

20. nolazep

nolazep Burrito Enthusiast

This is like trying to decide which color M&M tastes the best. Amazing album, perfect from start to finish. And the controversy over the cover art definitely hyped up the album at the time, no doubt.

21. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Agree 100% "Descending" is my favorite on this album for the gorgeous piano intro/outro and Chris's great vocals. But "Southern Harmony" is their best album, and THE best album of the 90's imo.

Awesome track! But it doesn't seem right the album not ending with "Descending". Seems like that's the way the band wanted it sequenced. But "Tiesd Up & Swallowed" is great. Probably my favorite Crowes b-side/non-album track. And it's gotta be the original version. The remix that came out later removes a great Chris scream out of the guitar solo.

Hep Alien and Carserguev like this.
  22. shinedaddy

shinedaddy Forum Resident

i voted for gone.......but we really need to see exit and bitter, bitter you released in better quality too. i would kill for a crowes box of unreleased studio, or just deluxes for tshamc through three snakes.

Rhett likes this.
  23. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

24. Further

Further Forum Resident

A deluxe Three Snakes with Pastoral .....

25. macdaddysinfo

macdaddysinfo Forum Resident

Was foamfoot torrented officially..? Do you have a link..? Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.