Billy Crystal "700 Sundays" on HBO. If you love jazz, Billie Holiday, etc., a must-see. Watch it!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, May 6, 2014.

1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

It's really incredible. If you like him, if you like jazz, if you like a really good show, check it out. I started it expecting nothing and got everything.

Note: Milt Gabler (producer of 'Strange Fruit' and '(We're Gonna) Rock Around The Clock' was a friend of mine. He was Billy's uncle and he has great memories of him.

Trust me on this. Check it out.

2. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

I'll second Steves post. I saw this last weekend. Excellent.....he really has a lot of energy.

3. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Saw the show Live a few years ago and got to meet Billy afterward. Great night.

4. Steve Hoffman

milt gabler.jpg
    On the left, Milt Gabler, Herbie Hill, Lou Blum, and Jack Crystal, the famous Commodore Record Shop, New York City, Aug. 15,1947. Gabler founded Commodore Records (the first indie jazz label) and also the Commodore Record Store. His brother in law Jack Crystal (on the right) was the father of actor Billy Crystal. Milt Gabler, Billy's uncle, was the famous Decca Records A&R man and produced two of the greatest recordings of all time: Billie Holiday's "STRANGE FRUIT" (Time Magazine's "Record Of The Century") and ("We're Gonna) ROCK AROUND THE CLOCK", by Bill Haley & His Comets, the start of rock & roll. I got to know Milt Gabler very well in the 1980's, an amazing man. Photo © William P. Gottlieb. If you get HBO, watch Billy Crystal's biographical "700 Sundays" if you can. An amazing solo performance by Billy. It's truly moving, trust Steve!

5. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

We saw this live at gammage a few years ago. Incredibly funny, poignant, sad. One of the best shows I have ever seen. Crystal is amazing. And that history with billie,w the Mick. Fascinating

Steve Hoffman likes this.
  6. Artietodd

Artietodd Forum Resident

Agreed. I have watched it 4 times now. The emotion and honesty is riveting.

7. Steve Hoffman

Watched it three times. Sucks me in every time.

longdist01 and Bender Rodriguez like this.
  8. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Billy Crystal is one of the most talented entertainers of our generation. Besides some memorable roles in movies, he is also an accomplished movie maker. "61" is perhaps the most realistic baseball movie ever made.

And to be able to talk about Friday matinees hand in hand with Billie Holliday! "He ain't comin back" (her observation as they watched the end of "Shane". Priceless.

longdist01 and Bender Rodriguez like this.
  9. Steve Hoffman

That was great, wasn't it? I've watched 700 Sundays about three times now. Fastest two hours! Really wonderful show.

10. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Wow. Billy had great stories, so I gotta check it out.

11. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

"This is a fiveskin!" :laugh:

12. Ted Bell

Ted Bell Forum Dentist

Surprised that I had never heard that bris was short for brisket before. Makes sense.

13. chef0069

chef0069 Forum Resident

Just watched this yesterday, great show. Interesting, educational, historic, funny, sad, it touches all the bases!

14. Charlie DJ

Charlie DJ Forum Resident

I like Billy well enough but wouldn't call me a fan - until now. I've watched it twice and recommend it to everyone. The second time I noticed how impeccable his timing is when telling his stories - must be the jazz influence.

15. GaryM

GaryM New Member

I was lucky enough to see the show the 23rd of Dec. with my dad and my son . Try to see the show from start to finish . I went from laughing so hard I was crying to wiping the tears from eyes .

16. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

What a coincidence... I'm watching it right now, just as I read your post. Billy just told the "Strange Fruit" story.

17. Evan

Evan Senior Member

Don't get cable. Anyone think that this will be on Netflix one day?

18. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

Recorded this and now I am really looking forward to watching it!!

19. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Watched the Extended DVD release, unbelievable family history, and what an education as a young kid, for Billy! Going to the movies with Billie Holiday too!

Simon A likes this.
  20. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out.

21. Bossyman

Bossyman Forum Resident

I saw this in its original Broadway run a bunch of years ago. Loved it so much saw it 3x. All in the second row. Poignant, touching, hysterical, and sooooooo much more.

The book is a great read too. I recommend it highly.

22. Steve Hoffman

Reopened by request.

23. Drummer2468

Drummer2468 Forum Resident

Thanks for the tip Steve. I watched 700 Sundays last night with my dad. It was a wonderful bonding experience.

24. Steve Hoffman

Is it still on HBO? I'd love to watch it again..

25. Lorin

Lorin Senior Member

I believe it’s on Hulu.