DCC Archive Cool cover versions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by indy mike, Oct 22, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Douglas

Douglas New Member

Diamanda Galas' Were You There When they Crucified My Lord. She owned that tune. Now if DCC would only remaster The **** of God.

2. Mike

Mike New Member

He he. I say: What's good about it? Same goes for his other JJ Cale covers - After Midnight and Travelin' Light. I say to EC - write your own singles! :D Just one man's humble opinion.

Mike

How did it go with the Badfinger - did you get 'em?

[ October 26, 2001: Message edited by: Mike ]

3. pigmode

pigmode Active Member

How about his strat? Heh. JJ's vocals are more cool though.

4. Mike

Mike New Member

Ok Ok. I was always a JJ fan and not much of an EC fan, although I do like some of his stuff. It rubs me the wrong way when he keeps covering JJ tunes and releasing them as singles. And musically speaking, I don't find them all that impressive. Just boring. Check out the guitar playing on both versions of Travelin Light - sounds like EC is copping a bit too much in the style dept. The first time I heard EC's Travelin Light was on a TV commerical. I wasn't watching the TV, but I could hear it. I thought JJ was on TV and almost broke my leg sprinting over there. Then I saw Eric Clapton. I was pissed! I'm sure JJ is happy with the income though.

Mike

5. pigmode

pigmode Active Member

I like Clapton sometimes, and I was likewise bummed when he got all the credit for I Slot The Sheriff. Maaan!!! Talk about one crazy baldhead, mon!

6. Mike

Mike New Member

I hear ya. But on the other hand, I'm pretty sure that Marley was happy about that because it brought his music to a wider audience. So I guess it's a fine line and you can't please everyone. And what kind of idiot am I for thinking that JJ Cale was on the TV? :D

Mike

Like that Zappa quote. I finally got one! BTW, I believe you showed metal tendencies earlier. Check out www.metal-sludge.com - it's hilarious.

[ October 26, 2001: Message edited by: Mike ]

7. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Oh GOD!

8. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Steve, you are right on how to spell Tiffany. Many times, the wife of one of my bosses has played Tiffany's cover of "I Think We're Alone Now" at my local roller rink as she still is a huge fan of Tiffany.

9. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I'm surprised it didn't clear out the roller rink! :)

10. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

That's right. It didn't clear the roller rink but I prefer Tommy James & The Shondells version myself. I am a fan of Olivia Newton-John's work and she really did a great job choosing covers.

11. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I snagged Straight Up and Fresh Cream, but they are currently in the mail. Hopefully I'll hear them sooner than later.

12. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest Thread Starter

Hey, did I miss somone posting these???? Joan Jett - I Love Rock and Roll (never heard the original - what's it like?), Lonnie Mack demolishing Memphis (great sound on this one to boot!), The Shakers take on Ticket to Ride en Espanol (Uruguay's answer to the Beatles, somehow ended up on the Legendary Audio Fidelity label of train/plane stereo sound effects records) - man is that one a hoot! :D

13. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

14. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

Robert Dick also does an awesome version of "Pali Gap"

Naughty Chord likes this.
  15. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Oldest thread revival yet!

16. bonifakula

bonifakula Forum Resident

17. Naughty Chord

Naughty Chord Hole in my Socrates

One of my favorite songs of all time. Had to look this cover up on spotify. I really enjoyed the flute version. :righton:

DJ LX likes this.
  18. Slokes

Slokes Cruel But Fair

Some cool disco covers:

Thelma Houston - "Don't Leave Me This Way" (Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes)
    Amii Stewart - "Knock On Wood" (Eddie Floyd)
    Bette Midler - "Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy" (Andrews Sisters)
    Gloria Gaynor - "Never Can Say Goodbye" (Jackson 5)
    Donna Summer - "MacArthur Park" (Richard Harris)

Thanks for letting me participate in such a vintage thread!

saturnsf likes this.
  19. TBone61

TBone61 Forum Resident

Detroit with Mitch Ryder's cover of Lou Reed & The Velvet Underground's "Rock 'N' Roll.

20. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

I'm glad you were able to find a version to listen to online! Robert Dick has covered a number of Hendrix tunes over the years. All are worth hearing, but "Pali Gap" translates especially well to flute.

http://www.allmusic.com/album/third-stone-from-the-sun-mw0000100063

Naughty Chord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.