Sinatra on Reprise: 'Single' CDs vs. the suitcase

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by shicorp, May 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I doubt that it makes a difference, but at least it got you a better price. Enjoy...

2. George P

George P Notable Member

Indeed it is in there!

Bob F likes this.
  3. George P

George P Notable Member

A difference in sound you mean? Iagree, I only complained because club copies have a lower resale value

4. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Sound, yes...

5. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

Not in my view, it only has 2 - 3 worthwhile performances, it was made around the time Frank started to do songs by modern composers that simply didn't suit him.

The albums I listed were all classics on a par with those from the Capitol era, the three honourable mentions I made were really good albums made when his voice was in decline but had good songs and you could tell his heart was in it, which was not the case with many of his renditions of modern era material on other albums.

"Watertown" for me was let down by the sonics whether that was due to mix or mastering or both I'm not sure, but a good album nonetheless.

CBackley likes this.
  6. wvk3

wvk3 Senior Member

Just "rolled my own" of this album. Great idea. Thanks for all the details, Bob.

Bob F likes this.
  7. shicorp

shicorp Senior Member Thread Starter

Here we go again: "Some Nice Things" has been deleted by UMG - watch the prices torpedoing... anybody looking for a copy should not wait too long :(

8. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

I notice that Amazon no longer stocks the CD. Strange that just one title (out of about three dozen) would be deleted.

9. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Additional thought: If the UMG Sinatra catalog goes out of print, it may signal some major future replacement offering for the Centennial in a couple years, as mentioned in another recent thread.

OldCoder likes this.
  10. shicorp

shicorp Senior Member Thread Starter

Maybe the beginning of the end. Could be that only the stock for this album is currently depleted - and others will follow.

Of course, it will be great to see what the Centennary has in store; if the Concord releases are a yardstick nothing good ;)

11. Witch Hazel

Witch Hazel Forum Resident

I'm going to add Frank to my music rotation. Don't know a lot of his music, but from what little I have heard, very good and calming. I'm sure he has a lot of good stuff out there that needs a spin.

He's also a nice looking "fatherly" type man..........not that I have a daddy complex, but I like the "old school" masculine image that he represents.

Its an image that is disappearing off of the American landscape.

12. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

I have the Reprise suitcase which I have utilized over the last year. But I prefer going to the original CD's for (learning) their place in the chairman's Reprise library. The history of the recording sessions are another factor for the suitcase. I love that Amoeba SF has single cards for each Sinatra release, it makes it a no brainer for holes in my Sinatra library. The single Reprise CD's seem to have good sound overall.

13. OldCoder

OldCoder Well-Known Member In Memoriam

If you have the suitcase, and you are comfortable ripping / burning CDs, you can reconstruct most CDs fairly easily.
    The is a chart showing the mapping of all Reprise albums from the suitcase on the Internet.

This will all sound like the suitcase, but reflect the song sequences of the albums.
    Perhaps that would help you in finding some of the scarcer studio discs.

All the live albums would still be needed if you wish to become a "completist".

14. DLant

DLant The Upstate Gort Staff

fsinat-americ_02.jpg

As Independence Day approaches, I am reminded how grateful I am that this wonderful title was given its own CD release by UMG in 2010. How does the sounds differ on this '10 release vs. the complete studio suitcase, or is it largely the same?

15. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Thought I'd share a quick little anecdote:

On Monday afternoon, for the first time in several years, I listened to the "suitcase" version of Sinatra and Swingin' Brass, and that is (sonically, not musically) one gawdawful and torturous listening experience. "Horrid" doesn't do the sound quality justice, IMO.

When it was over, I plopped in disc one of A Voice in Time, which covers years 1938-1941 or something like that, and many of those tracks sounded BETTER than the early '60s tracks I had just sat through.

Brian Mc, Arkoffs and MMM like this.
  16. rangerjohn

rangerjohn Forum Resident

Well, I know that I tend to have a bias for the mono mixes over the stereo when available, but that is one title where the mono is just OBJECTIVELY better than the stereo. No great shakes, but better.

17. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

It's not good sonically, and true a lot of the much older stuff - from a cruder era recording wise - sounds better (even taking into account the really great mastering on A VOICE IN TIME). Unlike RING-A-DING DING!, where many of the album's sonic issues are related to mixes and mastering, SWINGIN' BRASS seems to have much of its recording issues built into it.

Bob Belvedere and MLutthans like this.
  18. Jason Pumphrey

Jason Pumphrey Forum Resident

scored The Complete Reprise Recordings at my local thrift store for $12 a month ago, all 20 discs are in mint condition!
    Sadly it only contained half of the case, the leatherette FS cover was missing, but it still had the box that holds the discs, still a pretty good deal for $12 plus tax IMO.

19. MarkusGermany

MarkusGermany WINNING

I forgot the Granada version from the old Reprise CD and the missing Luck be a Lady from the original EOTC. Just ordered them from amazon marketplace to complete my collection.

20. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

"Granada" is not the only suitcase track which differs from the original LP and/or CD album issues. Others whch come to mind: "It Gets Lonely Early" (September of My Years), "Hey Look, No Crying" (She Shot Me Down), "Come Fly with Me" (A Man and His Music), and "Mack the Knife" (L.A. Is My Lady).*

With just two exceptions, the EOTC discs and the recent UMG reissues are missing bonus tracks which did not appear on the original albums but were added to the first CD releases. The exceptions are "Luck Be a Lady" (added only to the EOTC CD of Sinatra at the Sands), and "Roses of Picardy" (not on the Great Songs from Great Britain LP but added to the Reprise and UMG CDs).

[Edit:] *See also this ancient post at the SFF (and some of the posts that follow it):

—> Completing the Suitcase (Odds and Ends)

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
    jpreza, bozburn and MarkusGermany like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.