Sinatra / Capitol Sound Quality (and general discussion): Singles, Soundtracks, Etc.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Aug 10, 2013.

1. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

I assume this is the one in the Rhino That's Entertainment box set (2006 version)?

2. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

MMM and Bob F like this.
  3. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Nice to pin down one more release date for my list of Frank Sinatra's Major Capitol LP Releases 1954–62. Where did you find the precise day of the month, Matt?

Now, it would be nice to better date the stereo LP release, which I've been able to identify only as (probably) sometime in 1959, if not later.

Last edited: May 25, 2014
  4. MLutthans

The article from Billboard with the June 25 date is on my page about "Well, Did You Evah," here: http://www.11fifty.com/Site_108/1956_-_SinglesEtc22.html. (See "Capitol Preps Promotion on 'Society' Wax" article.)

Also, I think that the High Society stereo LP *may* have come out in 1961, based only on the date quoted on this UK reissue:
    R-5151974-1385908441-2684b.jpg

rangerjohn and Bob F like this.
  5. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Yes, 1961. Probably sometime between the release of the ALL THE WAY compilation and COME SWING WITH ME! give the artwork on the stereo LP - it uses then new font on the catalog #, while retaining the pre-arrows CAPITOL FULL DIMENSIONAL STEREO banner.

I have to get a picture here of the cover of my copy, with a note about the album now being available in stereo.

Bob F and bozburn like this.
  6. MLutthans

Like this?
    $_57-1.jpg

rangerjohn, hodgo and Bob F like this.
  7. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

That's it, though my copy has it placed horizontally and is in nicer shape.

8. MLutthans

Re: Well, Did You Evah

Audio clips and details about edits and mixes, now available: http://www.11fifty.com/Site_108/1956_-_SinglesEtc22.html

(This page is formatted differently than those that came before it, with links to audio clips running along the right margin, so be sure to open your browser window far enough to see the clip links.)

Last edited: May 26, 2014
    bozburn and Bob F like this.
  9. bozburn

bozburn Forum Resident

Nicely-done page Matt, as usual!

rangerjohn, Simon A and MLutthans like this.
  10. MLutthans

Update: Thanks to our pal Rudy, I've now been able to confirm that the opening on the That's Entertainment remix is lifted from the domestic Capitol soundtrack CD (panned-in stereo), and I've also been able to post an actual wave sample. http://www.11fifty.com/Site_108/1956_-_SinglesEtc22.html

11. MLutthans

So here's my question: What's with the two distinct mono mixes, one released in 1956 (full-length on LP, shortened for the 45), the other not released until 1995???? Any ideas?

12. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Matt, Have you looked at the mono EP version (Capitol EDM 750)? Could it be a different mix than the LP?

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

rangerjohn and jtaylor like this.
  13. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Maybe that 90's stuff was actually mixed then, from the multitrack audio tapes Capitol received from MGM back in the day?

14. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Interesting to hear all those.

The mono is nothing special, though it's cohesive and has decent-good balance. The old stereo mix is lousy, and I don't get the purpose of that "wet" mono version.

The HOLLYWOOD remix is much higher fidelity, as is the THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT one, which has a presence/balance on the vocals I prefer, though I wouldn't say it's an outright better mix/mastering to the HOLLYWOOD version, which has its advantages over it. The balance of vocals to orchestra in the HOLLYWOOD remix seems closer to what's in the original mono vs. THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT.

Wait 'til you get to "You're Sensational" in the SINGLES box set - re processing. :rolleyes:

rangerjohn likes this.
  15. MLutthans

Re: Well, Did You Evah?
    Ah...thanks for the recommendation. That would certainly be one of those "I'd be surprised" moments, but considering how many of those have cropped up, I certainly wouldn't 100% rule it out. Anybody have the EP set?
    Possibly. I'd love to know how those tapes were formatted. They can't be Left: Orch; Center: Vocals; Right: Orch, as is the case with most Capitol 3-tracks. (I realize these were created at MGM and provided to Capitol.) The vocals are clearly split left and right, so they can't be on a single center channel. Maybe Left and right contained the stereo "studio" elements (orchestra AND vocals on both channels, one vocal per channel), and the center was dialogue/"live audio" so if Capitol wanted to include any of that, they could???????? I dunno.... [EDIT: Nope, this can't be the track layout. Doesn't jive with the Celeste Holm stuff.]
    I love detailed responses like these! Please, people, I implore you: Listen, and share your thoughts! Thanks, Martin. (And Martin, I happen to agree with your comments, but even if I didn't, "thank you" for posting.)

Re: Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?
    regis(5).jpg
    No, not the game show!

I have audio clips and a detailed explanation (including a Mickey Rooney video from my childhood) as to my "top choice" of off-the-shelf, available versions here: http://www.11fifty.com/Site_108/1956_-_SinglesEtc23.html

Last edited: May 27, 2014
    rangerjohn, bozburn and MMM like this.
  16. Jason Pumphrey

Jason Pumphrey Forum Resident

We really need a blu-ray restoration of this classic.
    Suddenly got 2 BD restorations in late 2012.

17. MLutthans

We've been checking out some of the High Society tracks, and as I listen to "Mind If I Make Love to You," I think that maybe none of the "stereo tracks" on the Capitol stereo mix (at least the tracks we've checked out so far) include a stereo orchestral track. I think the orchestra is in mono on all of these. I'm pretty sure it's a mono orchestral track in the stereo left channel, with "chamber" from that track fed at nearly-equal volume to the right channel. (Some songs that don't benefit from the chamber effect, such as the Satch-heavy tracks, seem to use delay rather than chamber to achieve a stereo "effect" on the band.) It provides a pretty good orchestral "wash," but it's not stereo in the typical sense.

So, do the three-track tapes have orchestra on one track, with two tracks for vocals????? "Who Wants to be a Millionaire" has that "spread mono" orchestral sound, with Frank and Celeste on different channels in the stereo mix, so the vocals were not on the same track on the 3-track. Impossible.

Weird.

I think the assumption (and maybe I'm assuming too much) has been that Capitol received mono mixes in 1956 and 3-track work parts later on (for 1961 stereo LP release), but those stereo mixes are so danged lousy that I wonder if in 1956 Capitol received a 3-track work tape from MGM, and that tape was used to create both the mono (1956) and stereo (1961) LP mixes. Having orchestra in mono and two tracks of vocals makes perfect sense if the plan was to make mono mixes.

Even the overture has the orchestra left, "faked" to stereo, with the little jazz band bits -- also mono -- at right. Following the same line of thought as in the preceding paragraph, if the plan in 1956 was to create a mono soundtrack LP, it would make sense for Capitol to receive the orchestra on one track and the jazz band on a second, so those elements could be properly balanced for mono release to Capitol's tastes.

Same deal with other non-Frank tracks, too. Little One? Bing on a track; orchestra in mono on a track; Satch on a track. Again: Logical for mono mixing. El-sucko for stereo.

Dugan, Bob F and DRM like this.
  18. MLutthans

Re: The circa 1989 High Society soundtrack:
    Both "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire" and "Mind If I Make Love to You" have common mastering on the circa 1989 soundtrack CD and the 1996 Norberg-mastered Complete Capitol Singles set, so my guess is that Bob Norberg mastered the soundtrack CD, but, for some reason, was not credited.

19. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Yeah, I think it's possible. Was Bob credited on another Sinatra/Capitol soundtrack disc from the period?

20. MLutthans

Re: The 1989 (or so) High Society soundtrack CD:
    Yes:
    Re: Mind If I Make Love to You

Another interesting track (at least to me) from High Society. The previous two tracks we looked at had custom-recorded-for-Capitol intros that did not appear in the film. "Mind If I Make Love to You" actually has a perfectly usable 6-measure intro in the film, but the Capitol version has only a 4-measure intro. What's extra strange is that the 2002 In Hollywood CD also has that same four-measure intro, not the 6-measure version that is in the film.

This song also has a custom-recorded-for-Capitol instrumental coda to close out the song. The conclusion of the song in the film itself is a very pleasant meandering string-centric piece that rolls on for about 1:15 beyond the end of the vocal. The In Hollywood CD fades out very early in this coda, while the Capitol versions have a formal closing, tastefully done with pizzicato strings and harp.

Also, while other High Society tracks were remixed from mag film for In Hollywood, this track was derived from the 5.1 mixdown, not from the mag stems. There is a funny balance thing in the 5.1 mix that finds the flute obligato part mixed into the center track along with Frank's vocal, and they sort of compete for attention there. That characteristic is carried over to the In Hollywood set, through no fault of the production team on that disc, whose talents I respect tremendously.

My "top choice" on this one goes to the mono mix, but the sound is actually pretty poor. The sound quality on the In Hollywood CD is better by a mile, but the fade out at the end kind of leaves things hanging, while the closing on the Capitol version is sublime, so...the mono gets the prize from me, but with major sonic reservations. (Regardless, the mono version is far superior to the whack-o faked-up stereo on other Capitol releases.)

In the end, no version here is perfect. In Hollywood is the obvious "best sound" winner, but with some (what I guess could be called) "aesthetic" concerns with the edits. The mono Capitol mono wraps everything up in a nice little package, but is a definite step down in terms of sound. Both have their plusses/minuses, eh?

Clips here: http://www.11fifty.com/Site_108/1956_-_SinglesEtc23.html

I'm not sure if many people are actually taking the time to listen to this stuff (only two people have commented on the clips here in six days, aside from yours truly), but I have found these tracks to be utterly fascinating. "Please yourself, and you'll always have an audience!" :laugh:o_O

rangerjohn, DRM and Bob F like this.
  21. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

As Chuck Granata explained in the box set book (page 37), the original unmixed mag film recordings for "Mind If I Make Love to You" were unusable due to damage. Hence, they had to rely on the Capitol master for this one track.

I know you're not doing this just to please yourself, but rest assured more of us are listening. I usually don't comment unless I disagree with your conclusions, which are usually spot on.

I was particularly fascinated by the fact that the 1995 mono version of "Well Did You Evah?" (on the Sinatra 80th: All the Best CD) contains Frank-Bing dialog which is not present on any other versions except the film itself. I'd never noticed that, but your comparison chart caused me to pull out and listen carefully to every source I own. So there is at least one more person here following your every word. ;)

22. bozburn

bozburn Forum Resident

Could just be me, but for Mind If I Make Love To You, I give my top honor to the 2002 In Hollywood CD. I feel like I'm there in front of the orchestra; not to mention, Sinatra is centered, as opposed to hard-left or right. With the mono clips, it sounds to my ears like it's "boxed in" dynamically; it's still a pleasant listen.

Then again, I'm listening on my work computer speakers, and don't have Internet at my home. :(

EDIT: Caught your comment on the side of the screen regarding the In Hollywood clip. My mistake.

Last edited: May 29, 2014
  23. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

jtaylor and MMM like this.
  24. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Correction: Probably not the Capitol master. (That was my assumption, based on the fact that they share the same lead-in.) What Chuck wrote was that he used "an alternative transfer." Where that came from is unspecified.

MLutthans likes this.
  25. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Re: "You're Sensational"
    On the same date (January 20, 1956) that "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?" and "Mind If I Make Love to You?" were recorded, the film version of "You're Sensational" was also recorded at MGM. This is the version in the IN HOLLYWOOD box, but it was not used for the Capitol soundtrack LP or single. The Capitol version was re-recorded at the Tower in a later singles session (April 5, 1956).

MLutthans likes this.