Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #55)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Apr 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

My set-up is temporary with wires running along the middle of the carpet.

2. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Unfortunately, I keep hearing those soundbars are craps. The biggest challenges of setting up the 5.1 surround are the rear channels.

3. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to "Heinrich Schutz - Il Primo Libro De Madrigali - Venezia 1611" performed by The Consort Of Musicke with the lovely and talented Emma Kirkby on DHM.

[​IMG]

Mr Bass likes this.
  4. coopmv

I am surprised to see Rooley and Kirkby on DHM. I thought they were always L'Oiseau-Lyre artists back in those days ...

5. coopmv

Now playing the following CD from my JS Bach collection ...

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  6. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

I know what you mean, but check out this page - they (TCOM) are on many labels......
    http://www.medieval.org/emfaq/performers/com2.html

7. coopmv

Thanks for the link. I have many recordings by Emma Kirkby on CD and on LP, though I am not sure how many of them are specifically by the Consort of Musicke. Wasn't the Consort of Musicke originally led by David Munrow, who tragically took his own life in the mid 70's? Munrow was also a good friend of Christopher Hogwood.

8. john greenwood

Mine are real speakers (albeit nowhere near the equivalent of my main speakers) connected to an amp I had in storage.
    Turns out I only had the Sheppard disc as a high rez stereo download, but I am playing Stile Antico's Byrd/Tallis disc in surround and it sounds wonderful.

I should be able to A/B between stereo and surround.

John S and bluemooze like this.
  9. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Munrow's group was The Early Music Consort Of London. Don't know if he was also associated with The Consort Of Musicke. :)

10. coopmv

Download is probably only limited to straight two-channel. I have most of the recordings by Stile Antico and most of them are SACD's ...

11. coopmv

I picked up a few CD's by Munrow on the Testament label last year ...

12. coopmv

Just ordered the following CD. JS Bach BWV 1041-43 have been my favorite violin concertos for some thirty years since I was first introduced to them by a grad school buddy. When these works were performed by Arthur Grumiaux, the CD has to be in my collection. Life is too short to miss out on great music performed by a legendary artist ...

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  13. coopmv

A 5.1 setup clearly is not easy to accomplish in my current home, which was purchased purely for its convenience to the train station for my daily commute to NYC. I am not into download and doubt I ever will. I just need to make sure I have all the CD's I want before download becomes 100% for music purchase ...

14. coopmv

When it comes to JS Bach keyboard works on piano, Tatiana Nikoleyeva and Rosalyn Tureck are some of the greatest. I actually prefer their WTC over S Richter's ...

15. coopmv

Now playing the following CD from my JS Bach collection ...

[​IMG]

bluemooze and Mr Bass like this.
  16. coopmv

Back to the somewhat EM, now playing the following CD for a second listen ...

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  17. john greenwood

I have to say the even my jerry-rigged surround blows away the two channel sound on this disc. I suspect the difference is more noticeable on Church music than almost anything else.

18. coopmv

Yeah, Church music performed in an ancient cathedral with all the reverberation cannot be faithfully reproduced in the two-channel mode ...

19. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  20. coopmv

Looks like a very sturdy stool there ... :righton:

While most of my turntables can play 78RPM, I don't want to get near that retro technology ...

21. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

Me neither. Cool picture from the web though.

22. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

I have all but a couple of the original issue Living Stereo,and well over half of the original Living Presence stereo LPs,I bought at thrift/charity shops,but this only represents a very small part of a very large classical record collection,78 and LP.I have a lot of classical records from the 1980s too.But I can tell you nobody will ever want them,even though there are gems to be discovered.I know it's wrong to generalize,but I can tell you why.Two reasons.

Most classical collectors stick to conventional wisdom,and what are considered the preferred interpretations,and don't care to investigate lesser known or obscure recordings or artists.This is especially true of Asian collectors.

Most classical music buyers hate vinyl.Period,end of paragraph.

Does the situation suck? Of course it does,but you can't do anything about it.

jukes likes this.
  23. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to "John Dowland - Lachrimae 1604" performed by The Consort Of Musicke on L'Oiseau-Lyre. Instruments only - no Emma! :cry:

[​IMG]

Robin L likes this.
  24. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Almost always (these days), when I click on this thread, it does not accurately take me to the last unviewed post. Does this happen to others? I am wondering if it's a Firefox or a SHMF issue. :help:

25. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Works OK for me; I use IE. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.