Fargo FX Original Series

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Scope J, Mar 15, 2014.

1. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

well that scene were our Hit man went into that building right in front of those two FBI bozo's

2. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident

Some are saying it's a budget cutting scene because instead of the expense of showing an elaborate shootout inside the bldg., they got creative and just gave us audio from inside and panned around the outside windows and moved up the bldg. as Malvo went up the elevator. I'm glad they did it this way. Shows respect for the audience. We can get the idea without seeing lots of gore.

tonyc, Captain Groovy and agentalbert like this.
  3. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I really thought that was clever cinematography and if it saved some money, okay, good.

thgord, Jamey K and agentalbert like this.
  4. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

It was comedic the way they did it. It was almost like Bugs Bunny or Road Runner. It was hilarious!

Captain Groovy and agentalbert like this.
  5. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Great scene. Everything about this show is intelligent and entertaining. And Billy Bob. Wow. Even though at times it's like he's channeling his character in Bad Santa, is knocking it out of the park. As good as the show is, when he comes on screen I can't wait for the scene to play out. Talk about being born for a role. Sort of the same way Matthew Mcconaughey was for True Detective.

Who says television is dead?

6. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident

We're in a golden age of television. And it's not mainly the networks -- it's cable. AMC, FX, HBO, SHO, etc. Best shows ever, one after another. Ten years from now we'll look back on this as the good old days. This kind of quality can't last.

7. rburly

Two things, one is did you see all the new shows coming out on FX? There were at least 3 coming on in the next month or two.

The other thing is your description about BBT. He's amazing in this role. He is so intense and pure evil. Every time I see him I know something very bad is going to happen. It's exciting and scary as hell at the same time!

8. Luckless Pedestrian

Luckless Pedestrian Forum Resident

BBT's acting is fine, but the character Malvo is static; he's not written as an actual human being, he's more of a cartoon character (rburly's comment about the Road Runner was apt). I'm hoping the focus is primarily on Lester from now on. Malvo could just disappear and I'd still be interested in Lester's story. Psychopaths really aren't very interesting.

9. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Sez you.

10. trem two

trem two Forum Resident

Yes, hilarious and creative. It made me think of the Donkey Kong video game with the way the character had to work his way up the floors and then instead of jumping for the flag at the end, the show had the character fly out the window.

Rufus McDufus, agentalbert and rburly like this.
  11. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I agree completely. It's probably true that it would have cost a lot to show it, but do we need to see the details? This show doesn't exist to provide realistic action scenes. It's not "24". I thought it was humorous the way they did it.

thgord and rburly like this.
  12. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

Loving the show of course, and I naturally assumed Lester was going to be the ever-suffering, weak nebbish, that Jerry Lundegaard from Fargo was. Yet, since the hospital escape scene, he seems in control - or at least confident and taking action. What satisfaction it must be to bang the wife of your life long bully!

So you're right - I never thought he had it in him either - the characters and Coen-esque "where is this headed" is making this a mini-series a risky experiment that IMO is working amazingly.

And for those who think Malvo is a boring psychopath, I disagree completely. He's a clever psychopath. And we don't know what he's really up to. You can't. It's Coens-produced.

Clever psychopaths played well in a good story, like this one, are awesome. Check out either of the Cape Fears...

And I caught another reference/line to the original Fargo. Very similar speech (exact lines in parts) when Molly talks to the deaf hitman in the hospital - almost exactly the same speech as when Frances McDormand is driving the practically-mute wood-chipper fan at the end of the original film to jail. I love how they insert these little tie-ins to the film.

Can't wait til Tuesday!

Jeff

13. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

Well, I'm back on track. Through the comments here and the short recap at the start of the last episode, I was able to not be lost at all.

I agree it was a great episode and the evolution of Lester is terrific to watch. I think I'm going to be sad when it all falls apart for him.

Next week's episode is showing 60 minutes on my DVR. First time they have not gone long.

14. rburly

What episode is next/how many are left of the 10?

15. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

6/3
    6/10
    6/17

rburly likes this.
  16. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident

I'm glad Lester's enjoying it while it lasts because, yes, he is headed for a downfall. And it will be the woman cop who does it.

17. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

I just figured that was what Lester was up to

18. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

Kate Walsh is very sexy- it's the eyes that does it for me

19. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

I'll be honest; I think Fargo is an entertaining and nice series with nice visuals. But not much more than that. I suspect that the makers feel obliged to quote the movie a bit; the little speech Molly gave to mr. Wrench mirrors the speech Marge gave to Mr. Grimsrud when he was arrested. But it doesn't have the same impact for me. Frances McDormand is the real heart and soul of the movie; Allison Tolman doesn't really do that i.m.o..
    Maybe the style of storytelling doesn't connect with me; the last few weeks I've been glued to the screen watching BBC's excellent Happy Valley which, compared to Fargo, is much more about real people.

AveryKG and Luckless Pedestrian like this.
  20. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

I never thought the movie was as good as everyone else thought. I saw it years ago and have no memory of the small details. So, for me, I watch the series without feeling the connection. I think it makes this more enjoyable for me not remembering all the comparisons. I'm sure some things that are going to happen in the last three episodes are already known because of how the movie did it. But, it will seem new to me.

If I was a big of fan of the movie like you and remembered every detail of it, I could see your point of view and would probably be disappointed by the series, too.

Rufus McDufus likes this.
  21. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

I used to think that nearly all the main characters were gonna get knocked off. Lester's ride will definitely end bad, but I'm not so sure about Malvo now. He may be the last one left. It's just that he plays with fire thinking that he can manipulate/second guess everyone - and I mean EVERYONE. He might just make one fatal mistake.

22. Gordon Crisp

Gordon Crisp Forum Resident

Ha! It reminded me of Elevator Action.

Captain Groovy likes this.
  23. HadgeTunes

HadgeTunes Forum Resident

In the wake of a Breaking Bad-less world, I thank the heavens for this show. Dark humor with unrelenting suspense - this is the good stuff, just enjoy it, TV viewers. This show would not exist 10 years ago!

24. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

And what about FX? They've been hitting it out of the park with their original programming for years now. As good as HBO other than the commercials. I thank the heavens for my DVR.

slipkid and Mazzy like this.
  25. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

If only FOX owned FX then they could improve their prime time schedule.

JimW and sberger like this.