Petition launched to reintroduce Technics turntables (Update: The SL-1200 is Back!)*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by englishbob, May 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Whoever wrote this has no idea what they're talking about. They're selling now for more used than they were new. I keep kicking myself for not buying one when they were still at Guitar Center!

rockclassics and Daniel Thomas like this.
  2. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I had a Project, what a piece of junk. I wouldn't trade my old 70s Technics SL-1700MKII for a Project if you paid me. I'd like to see how many Projects are still running 30 years from now. My guess: none.

motorcitydave likes this.
  3. murphywmm

murphywmm Senior Member

4. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Is there no shame....? That terrible. Kiss Pioneer's cred goodbye. Well, it was already gone, right?

5. Wngnt90

Wngnt90 Forum Resident

6. Wngnt90

Wngnt90 Forum Resident

Yes.....I paid half that for a used one in mint condition. Love it...as solid and quiet as they come.

Brother_Rael likes this.
  7. Wngnt90

Wngnt90 Forum Resident

I have a '77 SL1600 that I've owned since new. Mint condition and operates like it was new....no way in hell would I ever sell it.

8. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I had one, too! Nice table, rock solid. It became my brother's xmas present when I got the 1700.

9. Wngnt90

Wngnt90 Forum Resident

Great gift. My SL1600 and my SL1200MK2 will go to my son when I no longer need them.

10. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

[sigh] Why do I hate so much that this is true?

I gave my last Technics table to a friend down the road about 10 years ago. I wonder if he still has it. . . .

11. Mike34260

Mike34260 Forum Resident

Hey guys I am in need of opinions, I have 3 possible options for a new turntable I'm thinking of.
    1 - Audio Technica AT-LP120 and removing the preamp

2 - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon

3 - Save up and buy a used 1200 in good shape

You're thoughts would be appreciated :)

12. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Heck, there's no need to update it. Just use the molds from the last SL1200 they produced. I wonder if they're underestimating the market somehow? When they phased out the 1200, the vinyl revival hadn't really gone full blown yet.

13. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

They may very well be underestimating the market, but even for non-updated models, the kind of market they probably have in mind is the one that used to exist in the peak Technics years when they were selling the dang things like jellybeans. I imagine they'd only be REALLY motivated if they could move TTs like smartphones.

Grant likes this.
  14. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

Why do so many try to push expensive Riga's, VPI's, etc? We should be promoting good inexpensive turntables like the Pro-jects. Those prices are more like it. I currently use an old Rotel that works and sounds wonderful. Those expensive turntables are completely unnecessary. If you are so wealthy you have money to burn then knock yourself out, but you don't have to own a turntable like that to enjoy playing records. Spending over $500.00 is pushing it for me.

Robert C and Ghostworld like this.
  15. skriefal

skriefal Senior Member

Sax-son, your Rotel turntable is most likely a re-badged Rega. The cheaper Pro-Ject models are toys, relative to a mid-level VPI or Rega (or a Technics 1200). They also tend to have motor vibration issues.

motorcitydave likes this.
  16. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

And that exactly where a turntable like an sl-1200 lands. Under $500 and basically fool-proof and indestructable! Sign the petition!

Billy Infinity and Robert C like this.
  17. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Any VPI is just sweetness defined. Used ones used to be within grasp. Those days are gone. :( Now I can't even afford a used one!

18. skriefal

skriefal Senior Member

It's highly unlikely that the 1200 would sell for $500 if production were restarted. Probably closer to $1500. And that's really about right where it belongs, given its performance relative to models from other manufacturers.

T'mershi Duween likes this.
  19. skriefal

skriefal Senior Member

There are plenty of used Rega P3s out there for good prices. One is on Audiogon right now for $350. If you're lucky you might even find a decent SL-1200 for that price. :)

20. T'mershi Duween

T'mershi Duween Forum Resident

Oh... OK... Thanks for letting us know before we waste our money!

Hoo-boy... :(

21. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

The patent on the latest model SL-1200 must have run out by now, or soon will. A Chinese company could easily make molds by disassembling an unused model and make their own and sell it for not much more than the MSRP was at the end of production. I'm surprised they haven't already done so.

22. Daniel Thomas

Daniel Thomas Forum Resident

I thought the Tec-12 was retired because too many DJs had moved to digital players and laptops. That was always the heart of their business, and once digital turntables arrived, it just became far easier than hauling boxes of LPs. Ah, well, it's a disappointment, and those kids are foolish to discsard 30 years of DJ history so quickly.

I would hope that Technics could revive the SL-1200 or one of their other decks. Modern 3D printing could enable a cost-effective way to build the parts. Remember just how many small parts go into a Technics deck, compared to today's turntables. Without solid DJ sales, it would be impossible to sell units at a reasonable price. So that's definitely a challenge.

doctor fuse likes this.
  23. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

I love mine.. bought in in '07 from Guitar Center for $425.00..(SL1200MK5) one of the best money $$ I ever spent!!! I think it is the best sounding turntable for the money... along with my Audio-Technica 440mla.... I haven't heard anything else sound much better unless one spent a ton more money ! Just my opinion! :)

24. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

WOW. SL1200MK5. These go on ebay for around $1000 new.

25. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

Yes.

And, while we're at it I'd ask to bring back these also:

Kenwood L-07D
    Pionoeer Exclusive P3a
    Technics SP-10MK3
    Denon DPM 100M
    Luxman PD 444
    Thorens TD124
    Garrard 301
    Garrard 401