MAD MEN -- FINAL Season Official Thread (possible spoilers)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dirwuf, Nov 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alanb

alanb Senior Member

Pretty silly comments i am sure - but it is JUST.....TV and it will be fondly remembered by some......but that's it.

2. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Just TV as opposed to... Just music? Just a film? Just a play? Just a painting? It's more than JUST TV. Even if you've had your head down a hole, you must be aware of its critical reception and the status it's been afforded well beyond message baords like this. Will people forget about it after twenty years or will it prove influential or some kind of yardstick by which to measure others?

Hard Panner likes this.
  3. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Maybe every episode will end with a different song from Bert.

Rufus McDufus likes this.
  4. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

On my lengthy list of relationship dealbreakers (yes, how Seinfeldian of me) is the phrase "Well, it's JUST a movie" after seeing a movie.

smilin ed and Hard Panner like this.
  5. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

Dee Zee likes this.
  6. Hard Panner

Hard Panner Baroque Popsike & Fuzz

The Mad Men spin-off we all want to see! ;-) (okay, it is using footage from season 6, but I didn't find it until today)

7. Hard Panner

8. StereoFanOregon

StereoFanOregon Forum Resident

Not surprised that ratings are down, the few years was all about Don's rise, then his past catching up with him, now downfall and rebuilding. It's not typical, feel good escapism. It's television for deep thinkers, seekers of nuance, and true depth of characters. Look at all the thought provoking comments each and every week on this board. I've never experienced a series that I spend days after each episode analyzing and contemplating every scene.

As for Bert's dance, I thought it was brilliant, fully keeping with the lines in the episode, and Bert's personality. Over the years he pulled a few surprises, for example when Don revealed his true identity, Bert surprised everyone with his don't care attitude.

9. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

10. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Apart from the pregnant niece, there was nothing about Don's secret past in this hemiseason. I'm still holding out hope that it's a factor in the series finale.

ad180 likes this.
  11. Hard Panner

Dee Zee and Rufus McDufus like this.
  12. RayS

Gee, imagine all the damage his shoes were doing to that white carpet!

Chip TRG likes this.
  13. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

No one is ever satisfied with how these types if shows end. Look at Dexter, The Sopranos.
    I am sure that no matter what the writers do, it will be disappointing because we are losing something we all enjoy.

14. RayS

I really felt that "Six Feet Under" ended perfectly.

F_C_FRANKLIN, JimW, Jack and 2 others like this.
  15. Get2Me

Get2Me Forum Resident

This.

16. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Sopranos was a pretty perfect ending too in my book. Kind of reminiscent of the ending of "I Want You (She's So Heavy)."

Last edited: May 29, 2014
  17. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

It's very, very rare when a show brings it all to a close in a timely, satisfying way. Breaking Bad held up better than most, IMO, and I was generally happy with the last season, but a lot of other old favorites from HBO (like Sopranos and the Wire) fell apart a bit in their final seasons. I was starting to get worried about Mad Men here earlier this season (last season wasn't quite as strong either, IMO), but the last two episodes have restored my faith.

18. Rufus McDufus

Rufus McDufus Forum Resident

And it's not finished yet...

19. woody

woody Forum Resident

I know but half of us will be dead before they get around to airing the remaining episodes. I exaggerate, but someone needs to calculate the average age of Mad Men viewers and their death rate over the interval time to see what percentage won't be around for the final episode.

Rufus McDufus likes this.
  20. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

As long as nobody dies in the key 18-49 demographic, the network will be OK. They are probably more worried about 49 year old viewers turning 50. :laugh:

MMM likes this.
  21. RayS

Hate wait, that's me ... I'll be 50 when the last 7 episodes air. I won't matter anymore :)

22. Rufus McDufus

Rufus McDufus Forum Resident

I turned 50 during this year's run of 7 episodes. I'm also planning to be around for the last 7!

23. For this and Neil Young archives volume 2 and the Beatles mono vinyl box and .....

24. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

I remain convinced that Don's identity, Dick Whitman, and Korea, will somehow explode at the conclusion of the series. That was the main "secret" of the show since the very beginning, and while only Pete remains of the partners who knows about that still, others do (like Betty, Megan, and Don's pregnant niece who needs money and who had to appear earlier in the season for a reason.....). Imagine if Joan and Jim Cutler find out about that...

scotpagel and misterdecibel like this.
  25. F_C_FRANKLIN

F_C_FRANKLIN Forum Resident

RayS nailed it, the greatest ending for any show looking for a proper ending was Six Feet Under. In comparison, Breaking Bad ended at a B- level (as much as I loved it) compared to the ending of Six Feet Under. I fear it could be decades before another show meant to end, could end as perfectly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.