Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #56)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

It's from the Montpellier Codex which all of the music is from. From the liner notes

Cover image: “S’amours eust point de poer”
    (manuscript H 196, folio 270 recto, detail),
    Bibliothèque interuniversitaire de Montpellier.
    Bu de médecine. Photo: Service photo BIu
    Montpellier

bluemooze likes this.
  2. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Another from the 10-cent stack, issued in 1976. Produced by Patti Laursen. Recorded by venerable Capitol engineer Carson C. Taylor.

Joe071, Mr Bass and bluemooze like this.
  3. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

I have an odd perspective on classical music. I really love some and categorically reject other pieces, often within the same time period. For example (and realize that I fully appreciate the talent of these composers, but I can't dig their stuff, for whatever reason):

1. Bach is great; Handel is not so great.
    1. I can't listen to much of Mozart - there are few good pieces, but by and large, it's elevator music for me. Haydn is fantastic.
    2. On the other hand, I really enjoy much of Vivaldi and Corelli.
    3. Moving to the Romantic period (stretching it a bit with Brukner and Dvorak) - Beethoven, Berlioz, Borodin, Brukner, Dvorak, Mendelssohn, Tchaikovsky and Wagner are excellent. Brahms bores me to tears.
    4. I really love the late 1880s-1920s. Bartok, Second Viennese School, Janacek.
    5. Some additional modern composers do it for me: Borodin, Shostakovich, Smetana, Stravinsky, Szymanowski, Penderecki, and Schnittke.

Recommendations for listening (focusing on ~1880-later 1900s):

Bartok - The Wooden Prince; all string quartets
    Borodin - String Quartet 2
    Janacek - String Quartet 1 (Kreutzer Sonata) and 2
    Penderecki - Threnody for the Victims of Hiroshima
    Schnittke - String Qaurtets 1-4
    Schoenberg - Verklarte Nacht; String Quartet 1
    Smetana - String Quartet 1
    Stravinsky - Firebird Suite
    Szymanowski - Symphonies 1 and 2; String Quartets 1 and 2

bluemooze likes this.
  4. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    One more, from 1972. These florid parphrases would be easier for me to follow if I were familiar with the Verdi operas.

Joe071 and bluemooze like this.
  5. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Be sure to get the West Germany CDs for great sound.

Hawkman and bluemooze like this.
  6. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

That guitar sound you mentioned? My favorite, after highly amplified Hopkinson Smith.

John S and bluemooze like this.
  7. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

If I was a 50's recording engineer sitting at the console in the control room and heard Dave Barbour's guitar coming through the monitors and could tell by seeing him out in the studio that he didn't think anything was wrong, I would immediately start looking for the problem in the signal chain that was causing his guitar to sound like that. I know that I'm in the minority here from some forum discussions in Peggy Lee threads, but that's how my ears react. (OT Alert - First guitar sound that really got me was Peter Green playing with John Mayall) :)

8. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

I own 4 or 5 sets of these works. My favorite is by the Hungarian Quartet on DG.

Arditti's Schoenberg is great! I recommend getting the whole set. It appears to be out of print, but it pops up from time to time and is well worth seeking out.

bluemooze likes this.
  9. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

I visited the A4 website. Ruth Cunningham was out but she has returned. The voice that I miss hearing on this latest recording of theirs is soprano and founding member Johanna Maria Rose.

Quote from the A4 website:
    "After nearly 30 years of international touring and over 20 recordings on the harmonia mundi label (with over two million albums sold), Anonymous 4 will make the 2015-16 season its last" :(

10. George P

[​IMG]

Decided to work backwards through the 5 Beethoven piano concertos. After a superb 5 with Pollini and Bohm yesterday, I thought I'd listen to my favorite performance of 4 by Arrau. His playing is as wonderful as ever! And the tone he could get out of a piano is absolutely gorgeous. Unfortunately, his fingernails are heard in a number of spots, so not for headphone listening.

Last edited: May 31, 2014
    bluemooze likes this.
  11. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to "Shining Light - Music From Aquitanian Monasteries (12th Century)" performed by Sequentia on DHM.

[​IMG]

12. George P

[​IMG]

Moving on, now enjoying this rare performance of Beethoven's third piano concerto by Moravec/Neumann.

13. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

I was listening recently to the 'Then Play On' reissue & thought about Green's playing on 'A Hard Road' and how his sound changed for Fleetwood Mac. I think on the Mayall album he was trying somewhat to fit into the Clapton tradition, although giving it a very individual twist. And now back to our scheduled classical program..

bluemooze likes this.
  14. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

Yes, I do know Mullova. She won the Sibelius competition in the early eighties, young shy, somewhat scary girl. Her playing was never relaxed (while she was young), though technically brilliant (as far as I can judge such things). We followed her career despite of - not failed, but - less successful earlier recordings. It's only recently that she has relaxed, matured, and it looks like she has finally found her very own pocket in musical life. Part of the earlier problems could have been the lack of reliable, steady playing mates. (Think of Julia Fischer's and late Yakov Kreizberg's fine common working history that resulted also in great recordings. That supported young musician to better and better results.) So I don't yearn for her old Bach recordings. However, her 21st century work seems to be clearly a case of its own. So great she's doing fine now.

bluemooze likes this.
  15. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to "Beethoven - Piano Concerto No. 5" performed by Murray Perahia and the Concertgebouw Orchestra led by Bernard Haitink on CBS CD.

[​IMG]

Joe071, john greenwood and George P like this.
  16. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

Exactly. My sentiment too. I've wondered that sometimes and came to the conclusion, that - when it comes to me - it's some mainly pcyhologically understandable thing that I'm so much relying on those orchestras and musicians, and their recordings, that weren't yet in a semi-divinity while I first heard them. Some Furtwängler-Karajan-Klemperer-Walter were in a way too big to be taken as mere mortals. So it was only sometime later that I was able to approach them in a realistic manner. So my favourites still are LP era recordings of my youth - and the guys like Abbado, Böhm, Giulini, Tennstedt and the like. It's like going home when putting some of those older recordings on.

EasterEverywhere and bluemooze like this.
  17. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying Beethoven's second piano concerto from the above set.

bluemooze likes this.
  18. George P

[​IMG]

And finally, Beethoven's first piano concerto, as played by Richter and Munch. Munch's orchestra sounds much more powerful than the others I have heard this morning. Great dynamics too.

Last edited: May 31, 2014
  19. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

First listen to CD 11 "Schubert - Four Impromptus D899/Four Impromptus D935/Six Moments musicaux D780" from the "Edwin Fischer - Piano Playing from the Heart" EMI Icon box set.

[​IMG]

Joe071 likes this.
  20. John S

John S Forum Resident

While driving to work yesterday the local classical was playing the fourth, my favorite. Later last night I visited some very old friends. PCs 3, 4 and 5 in order:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

In a Russian mood. Finished last night with the Mravinsky Tchaikovsky 4th. This morning - Van Cliburn's Rachmaninoff 3rd.

As a change of pace - in between HvK's take on Hindemith's "Mathis de Maler."

bluemooze and Mr Bass like this.
  22. Six String

Six String Senior Member

John Lewis (MJQ pianist) - J.S. Bach Preludes and Fugues from the Well-Tempered Clavier Book 1 (Phillips)
    I wish I had all of them, I think John recorded three or four albums worth. I don't know if it is Jarrett and Lewis or the fact that they play jazz but I love the way they play classical pieces.

bluemooze likes this.
  23. John S

John S Forum Resident

Love that piece. Didn't know HvK did it, with Berlin I presume?

24. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to CD 1 "Mozart - Sonatas No.2 K.280/No.9 K.311/No.11 K.331/No.12 K.332 and Domenico Scarlatti - Sonatas Kk.259/Kk.64/Kk.1/Kk.492/Kk.268" from the "Aldo Ciccolini - Enregistrements EMI 1950-1991" box set.

[​IMG]

John S likes this.
  25. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Yup. To be honest, I don't know the piece well. I have two recordings and have listened to each once (as of this morning). However, I do not think it will be too long before I listen again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.