Silicon Valley (HBO comedy)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by toptentwist, Jun 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. toptentwist

toptentwist Forum Resident Thread Starter

My son urged me to start watching this half hour comedy.

Last night's season finale had me laughing out loud for approximately twenty minutes.

The white board discussion that followed the rude comment by the bearded slobbish owner of the incubator house was what did it.

2. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

We watched a couple of episodes and enjoyed it.

3. chrischerm

chrischerm Forum Resident

"Manipulating... data" I laughed for aprox. 20 minutes as well. Especially all the dicks on the blackboard and the acronyms they made up to support the... data. Hysterical.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  4. toptentwist

The amount of thought they invested in the problem and it's solution - was mind boggling.

5. toptentwist

[T = (800 x mJT) / 4]

6. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I was mildly disappointed for the first few episodes. Thought it was good, but not great. However, the last few have been excellent. I haven't watched the finale yet, but probably every episode since the one where they get the street artist to do the Pied Piper logo has been hilarious.

7. chrischerm

I agree, the first couple were mildly funny, but not staggeringly so. You're right on about the episodes from the street artist on being hilarious. Maybe even the one before when Erlich ate all the mushrooms in the traffic jam and ended up creating an amber alert in the process. It's been a slow burn but it's on fire now...

8. Complier

Complier Senior Member

I feel it's on OK program. I'll watch last night's episode On Demand tonight.

"Hello Ladies" was just as good, if not better, yet that got the ax.

George P and Bender Rodriguez like this.
  9. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

I think it's a pretty funny show - a Big Bang set in the Valley

10. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

I had no idea that Christopher Evan Welch, who played Peter Gregory, had died (in December) until I saw the dedication in last night's closing credits.

11. agentalbert

Neither did I until I saw that. He was only 48. I didn't even recognize him as the character "Grant" on Rubicon, which I really liked. Sad to see a guy go so young.

12. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Fantastic show, my favorite of the last few months. That and Veep were must-see TV for me this year, really the only two sitcoms I watch.

I was very sad when Chris Welch passed away from complications due to his cancer treatment, and I thought that was classy that they gave him a salute in the closing credits. Show creator Mike Judge went on the Howard Stern Show to promote Silicon Valley, and said that Welch's death really caught them by surprise. He literally had more scenes to shoot the following week, and they had already written scripts with the eccentric billionaire character in them. Nobody expected him to pass away so suddenly, particularly when the cancer seemed to be in remission. And both the actor and the character were dynamite.

I'm hoping for big things as "Pied Piper software" spirals out of control and all the principles get very, very wealthy and very, very crazy.

rhubarb9999, LEONPROFF and d.r.cook like this.
  13. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Really loved the final... On the radio today there was a lot of talk about Chris Welch... RIP Chris...

This was another show that got better each week...

LEONPROFF and chrischerm like this.
  14. chrischerm

Not sure they mentioned this on Stern or not, but Chris Welch read audiobooks too, and has done a phenomenal job with the Spook's Apprentice series by Joseph Delaney. I also thought it was nice to see the salute in the closing credits.

15. d.r.cook

d.r.cook Senior Member

agreed (though you uncharacteristically got the wrong form of "principle"):eek: . . . i had never watched much of anything Judge has done, but this has been quite funny. and working w/a small team of interactive/social media guys, the accuracy, with inherently comic overplay, is spot-on--ESPEC the naming/logo process!

16. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

We enjoyed season 1 of Silicon Valley. I was totally surprised and saddened to hear that Chris Welch has died. His Peter Gregory character was the funniest on the show, in my opinion. Such a quirky, bizarre performance that made me laugh out loud several times - which is a hard thing to do.

He will be greatly missed as this show moves ahead.

I do have to say that I am actively disliking this "8-episode-season" format. I know, I know - "Fewer episodes per season leads to better quality!" That may be true sometimes, but it surely isn't true most of the time. Even with Silicon Valley - as much as I liked it - providing only 8 episodes did not make it the "Best Show Evah." Just give us a season long enough to last more than 2 months out of each calendar year, please.

17. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Very tired today.

18. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

How does Silicon Valley on HBO compare with Betas on Amazon Prime Video?

I work in the "tech" industry, so TV shows on the topic are interesting to me. But Big Bang Theory is just way too corny for my taste, and Betas I had to stop watching halfway through the second episode. Just way too many cliches under a facade of "geek speak." Is Silicon Valley possibly a standout among this group?

Oh, and so far of what I've watched, The IT Crowd (I think it's still available on Netflix, or maybe it's Hulu?) is easily my favorite of the recent wave of "tech/geek" themed TV shows.

Craig.

19. Robinator

Robinator Forum Resident

We don't subscribe to HBO but this weekend U-verse has it free this weekend (including on demand). Watched all 8 episodes and a couple of extras. My and my wife enjoyed the show very much.

Sad to hear about the passing on of Chris Welch. :( I liked his character in the show as well.

-Rob

20. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

It's very, very funny and the characters are believable, but I wouldn't look to any TV show for being 100% accurate to technology. The point of the entire internet startup in the show is a new lossless compression algorithm, and a lot of what they say is technical gobblety-goop... but it's funny technical gobblety-goop. The epic D!** joke in the final episode had me on the floor laughing.

chrischerm likes this.
  21. BurgerKing

BurgerKing Forum Resident

I think so. And also check out Halt and Catch Fire on AMC, if you're a fan of the genre

22. cooper16

cooper16 Forum Resident

I've lived and worked in Silicon Valley my entire life and this show gets the details right. Someone needed to take the p**s out of the startup culture that takes itself way too seriously around here and SV does it brilliantly. Love it!

23. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

So.... will it back back for another season?

24. agentalbert

Yes, airing Spring 2015.

25. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yes, Mike Judge was on Howard Stern about 6 weeks ago to promote the show and said that HBO immediately asked for more episodes once the first few were completed. Really, really funny show. Judge said they've only gotten started: now we're going to see what happens when the founders and programmers of "Pied Piper Software" go completely nuts once they get tons of money and it all goes to their heads...

mikeyt likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.