MAD MEN -- FINAL Season Official Thread (possible spoilers)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dirwuf, Nov 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I didn't get the impression that "the real Mrs. Draper" was younger than Don/Dick.

2. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

I think he's speaking of Pretty Peggy-o.

Jose Jones likes this.
  3. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Oh, yeah, that makes sense.

I do see similarities between Don and Glen.

4. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

Let's not forget either that Don, after a day at work in which he had to cut down Lane Pryce's dead body, offered to drive Glen back to school and let him drive his Cadillac. Don recognizes something good in Glen.

5. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

That doesn't mean they have much in common. These two characters have very different experiences and are on different trajectories in life

I can understand how the comparison can be made, I just don't think it plays much into the story arc.

6. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

I see people suggest all the time that we'll see Woodstock via Sally attending it, but I am very skeptical of something like that happening. This show has made it a point to not explore the events of 60s through the experiences of Baby Boomers for the most part (which is for the better, IMO, as that's been done about a zillion times before).

I think we'll get some sort of passing mention of Woodstock at most. I don't expect it to be a central plot point.

drasil and Dan C like this.
  7. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

I took this to be an extension of Don providing some assistance to young men in trouble (like the brother of his teacher mistress), a vow he took in the aftermath of his brother's suicide.

8. Jose Jones

Driving him back to school was providing assistance. Letting a kid too young to drive at all drive your Cadillac is something else.

9. Jose Jones

The Show makes it a point not to do what fans on the internet expect them to do. Sally at Woodstock is a cliche, plus, she is only 15 years old at the most now. Sally at Woodstock is like the last scene of the series being Don falling off the balcony, or Megan being offed by Manson*---too predictable, too ordinary-TV-like. Weiner likes to think of himself and his writers as being above the simpletons.

*I could see one of Megan's actress girlfriends being a victim, however.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
    Dan C and Bryan like this.
  10. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

They talked about the moon landing quite a bit and showed them watching the landing on tv. They showed the election in 1960. They've been to a Rolling Stones concert. The Tet Offensive has been referenced. There was an episode set when MLK was killed. etc., etc., etc. There are plenty of the events of 1960s explored.

It wouldn't seem like a stretch to think a rebellious teenage girl living within a relatively easy drive would end up at Woodstock. We'll see!

11. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

All those things you referenced (minus the Stones concert) were things that were relevant to non-Boomers, though.

12. Jose Jones

They have referenced historical events quite a bit, but mainly in the context of reacting to them, as opposed to being a part of it as it is happening. Don took Sally to see the Beatles at Shea Stadium in 1965 but the only thing that was aired was him surprising her with the tickets, not a recreation of the concert itself. The same thing with the Stones concert--it was just a name-drop to move the plot forward. It's conceivable that Sally and Glen and friends from private school would take off and try to see Woodstock but what are they going to show on Mad Men---her frolicking in the mud with music in the background?* It could be a cool scene but it just seems too obvious in these final episodes that are going to be dissected for years afterwards.

*Mad Men is at its worst when trying to film big scenes outdoors---like the silly green-screen footage of Ted flying his crop duster.

13. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

Well it may or may not happen. But they don't have to show a recreation of Woodstock. Just a roadtrip, a headtrip with a bunch of burnouts and badda-bing, they've got their show. :)

You guys make it seem like Weiner is above this sort of thing. He does it all the time. His show is really well done, but it's set in 1960s New York. He went to a beatnik club in the Village! He's been to a hippie commune upstate! He's pretty much hit all the expected marks, sometimes in unexpected ways. But c'mon. It's a soap opera set in the 60s. This isn't Tolstoy... it's television!

14. Jose Jones

If anybody goes to Woodstock, it won't be Sally. That's my gut feeling. Maybe Bob Benson OD's there.

15. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

haha... Episode title: Bob Benson's Brown Acid Bumout

enocaster likes this.
  16. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

We're going to miss Woodstock, because it was already summer 1969 at the end of Series 7.1, and some time will pass before the story picks up again. They never just take up right where they left off after a season break.

17. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Right, I was thinking that, too. Although I doubt it will be as big of a time jump, since it's only mid-season, plus we presumably have to stay in 1969. But even if the show jumps ahead only a single month, we will have "missed" Woodstock.

18. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Right, but technically this one won't be a new season.

Since they have the series will end in 1969, I don't see how much they can jump forward.

EDIT: Bryan beat me to it on both points.

19. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Oh, I didn't know they'd said that.

20. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Forum Resident

I agree that they will probably stay in 1969, and both Woodstock and the Manson murders will almost certainly be referenced, but I seriously doubt either of them will be major plot points involving regular characters. In the case of Manson, we already know who the actual victims (and "family" members) were, and I don't think Mad Men has ever altered real historical events to incorporate its characters. However, the events might certainly give Megan (and Don) a major scare. It could also make Roger and his wife even more alarmed about "Marigold's" situation. A Woodstock connection is more plausible (especially via Marigold), but I think Sally is still a bit too young, and has shown little interest in that type of music or culture--the nerdy kid she kissed, for example, hardly seems like the type that will encourage her to sneak off to Woodstock (the cynical, older jock in the striped pants would have been more likely to bring here there, I would think).

What Mad Men tends to do is focus on how the broader reverberations from these events affect the characters, rather than the events themselves directly affecting them--for example, I can see Sally and Betty getting into an argument (or perhaps an agreement) over TV coverage of Woodstock far more easily than I could see Sally going there and getting lost or something--and I think the former scenario is likely to be far more revealing and interesting than the latter.

Rufus McDufus likes this.
  21. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

Did you guys ever go to rock concerts when you were 15? I don't think she would be considered too young. Especially not with her experience getting around the city, etc. on her own.

22. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Was going to concerts by that age, but not anything involving spending an overnight away from adult supervision.
    Are we talking Sally here? Could only see her making it to Woodstock if she ran away from home or school to do so, but it doesn't seem like her kind of thing anyway. .

23. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

You could buy a one day ticket to Woodstock (for $7). Her thing is whatever thing as long as it's cool. She's a teenager!

24. woody

woody Forum Resident

I just want to hear them end an episode with CSN&Y.

25. Link, please? The last I read is that they were still mums the word only slightly hinting on what year the series is going to end.

It would really be a shame for them to hit 1970.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.