Bands Or Artists You Think Should Like More

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mwheelerk, Jun 2, 2014.

1. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music... Thread Starter

I'm sure there are a few out there, bands or artists who are generally well thought of and stylistically you think you should like there music better yet you just never totally embraced there work, they just never made it to that upper echelon of acts you appreciate

For me the two that come most immediately to mind are The Band and Little Feat. Everything about both these guys says I should love them but at best I accept them. I have three albums by The Band and four by Little Feta but none have broken through as a real favorite.

Are there any for you like this where you think you should really like them, "get" them but you just never could.?

2. BLUESJAZZMAN

BLUESJAZZMAN I Love Blues, Jazz, Rock, My Son & Honest People

Yes....I understand your point. Jethro Tull come to mind for me. On paper they go through most of my favourite musical genres so they should be near the top of my list but they just leave me a bit cold. They fail to move me.

3. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

For me it's Richard Thompson, while i appreciate his guitar playing and songwriting abilities, i find his voice/accent really irritating.

4. veloso2

veloso2 Forum Resident

springsteen, in fact too "american for me"! great songwriter but it's not my background! it doesn't speak to me. "there's so much more than cars and girls"

5. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

Ani DiFranco...people who know of my musical tastes and my politics tend to assume I must have all her albums. I only have two, and while I don't dislike them, I've never quite heard what I can't help thinking I ought to hear.

6. ivan_wemple

ivan_wemple Senior Member

Billie Holiday. Can't stand her voice. There is nothing remotely "sexy", or even appealing, about her singing. I don't understand all the acclaim.

astro70, Spaceboy, veloso2 and 3 others like this.
  7. Wufnpoof

Wufnpoof Well-Known Member

Iggy Pop
    Warren Zevon
    Van Morrison

I still have hope that I'll appreciate them more, someday.

8. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

The Flaming Lips - i can't stand Wayne Coyne's voice.

9. Another Steve

Another Steve Senior Member

Sonny Landreth, I enjoy many other performers of that genre and I've had several of his CDs, but I always end up trading those away because nothing seems to stand out. Everything is forgettable to me.

10. andy749

andy749 Senior Member

neil young

NudieSuitNezHead likes this.
  11. Ron Mexico

Ron Mexico Forum Resident

Big Star - considering how much of an influence they were on one of my favorites (The Replacements) I thought it would be a slam dunk but I just could never get into them.

sekaer, BobFan115, geo50000 and 5 others like this.
  12. noyoucmon

noyoucmon Forum Resident

With some acts I like them only conditionally; still others, begrudgingly. It took me years to get the point that I'd say I liked Bowie, and that was well after I owned ALL his albums. I still wouldn't say I love him. Then you have Springsteen. As with Bowie, I've bought every Springsteen album. I've not fully loved one in probably 30 years. I would never go about saying I'm a Springsteen fan. Same as him when it comes to the Rolling Stones. Then you have the bands that I keep going back to and am not certain that I like at all, despite owning the entire catalog--the poster children, for me, of this sad qualification are the Byrds.

Jarleboy, Pastle and Fullbug like this.
  13. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

Sonic Youth

14. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

The Band are right up there for me too. I certainly like them more in theory than in reality. There's not enough grit with them or something. On the other hand, I could listen to someone like Dug Sahm pretty much all day long.

15. noyoucmon

noyoucmon Forum Resident

Perhaps the pinnacle of this for me is Elvis Presley. I've had to finally admit this year that I really don't like him much at all.

16. Rodney Toady

Rodney Toady Waste of cyberspace

I'm not sure that I have ever felt that I should like somebody or like somebody more than I do.

Having said that, every one of my favourite artists would probably deserve more love from me than I am capable of giving.

Jarleboy and Vinyl_Blues like this.
  17. Say

Say Forum Resident

well, you won't understand since you don't like her voice. If you did like her you would be in the know.

18. Henry Please

Henry Please Forum Resident

19. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

It has never occurred to me that I should or shouldn't like any artist. I hear something, I like it, fine, it ends up available for me to listen to. I don't like something I hear, it never occurrs to me that I should.
    The idea of thinking I should like something I don't is somewhat foreign to me.

20. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Are you saying you think all of Bruce's songs are about cars and/or girls? :confused:

21. Picca

Picca Forum Resident

Costello

22. sixelsix

sixelsix Forum Resident

Right there with you on both counts. I apperciate The Band more than love them, although I did enjoy them (and Danko in particular) in Festival Express.

carlwm likes this.
  23. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

Have you heard only her very last recordings, like "Lady in Satin"? Have you heard her recordings from her 1930s and 1940s prime? I am serious with this question, because she recorded in the mid to late 1950s when her voice had markedly deteriorated and sounded very different from what it had before.

Vinyl_Blues and OneStepBeyond like this.
  24. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Senior Member

Moi non plus. Ce n'est pas seulement les étrangers qui ne n'aime pas «le sel de terre» du New Jersey...

25. Catbirdman

Catbirdman Forum Resident

For me it's Lou Reed and the Velvet Underground. Almost without exception all the friends and tastemakers I've known in my life who I've trusted swear by the artistry and impact of their music, but no matter how often I go back and give it another shot (and I've tried at least 6-7 times in my life) it just sounds like second-rate art students who can't play and it holds zero interest to me. I know I should be ashamed to say that but there it is.