Record Store Tips : Florence Italy

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by timnor, Jun 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timnor

timnor Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi
    Anyone have some record store tips for Florence Italy ? Interested in used and new vinyl.
    Cheers
    Jim

2. timnor

Anyone ?

3. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

4. golobali

golobali Forum Resident

5. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

IronWaffle and tonyc like this.
  6. timnor

Thanks. Yes but imagine all that culture AND record stores !

stereoptic likes this.
  7. namretsam

namretsam Senior Member

Here's a record store tip. If you are in Italy. Don't waste your time there in record stores.

8. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

Data 93 Records on Via dei Neri is pretty good, but very pricey. Go straight to the back room, where all the vinyl is. They have loads of great hard-to-find post punk LPs, if you're into that sort of thing, and lots of other stuff as well, but typically at eBay prices. I haven't been there since 2011, though.

IronWaffle likes this.
  9. timnor

Thanks a lot for that tip ! Appreciate your honesty if not your tone. I will still ignore your advice. I check out record shops in most cities I visit.
    Jim

10. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

Oh please, what's the harm in stepping into a record or store or two? I like checking out record stores when I travel to other cities if time allows. Besides, in a city like Florence, as totally beautiful and amazing as it is, a record store can be a nice way to get away from the tourist grind and get a bit of local flavor.

brew ziggins, tonyc and somnar like this.
  11. Picca

Picca Forum Resident

Hi. Rockbottom is maybe the best vinyl record store in Italy. No cds. Here's the link http://www.rockbottom.it/modx/
    It's in the centre of the city, near Piazza Del Duomo (Cathedral's Square) . 10 minutes walk from Giotto's Campanile.

utahusker, Stefano G. and IronWaffle like this.
  12. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

Exactly. The couple of times I was in Italy I had plenty of time to do both. And found some items in record stores I could not find in the U.S.

I remember when I was there in 1993 and my mind was blown away seeing all their legal bootlegs on the shelves mixed in with regular releases.

Pavol Stromcek likes this.
  13. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

Just spend all your money on the amazing food in Italy
    Italian pressings aren't great

14. timnor

Thanks for all the tips !
    Jim

15. hockman

hockman Forum Resident

I echo some of the comments here about not bothering with record stores in Italy. Italy has to be one of the worst places to look for music, and I've been to many places in Italy. Sometimes I even wonder whether Italians actually listen to music any more...except for bad italian pop.

16. Stefano G.

Stefano G. Ab alto, speres alteri quod feceris.

Hi timnor, I repeat what I have already had occasion to say to others users:

In Florence, there is one of the best records shop (in my opinion, the best) that you can find in Italy: "Rock Bottom Records": located at the center of the city, close to the famous Duomo (a must for every tourist!).
    Each record is clean, and sold with a certificate of guarantee signed by the owner of the shop: my friend Roberto Mento: Roberto is a great expert and together we did a lot of research such as that about the types of SIAE stamps: http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/records-italian-pressings-revealed.348345/
    In this shop, there are no CDs, but only records!

Its website is this: http://www.rockbottom.it/modx/

....and if you're going to visit this store, tell Roberto that I (Stefano Gagliardini) sent you, and he will make you surely a discount!

17. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

Do they like the Beatles in Italy?

By the way, man my Italian relatives could cook cuisines like none other and was a great influence in getting me into music as a youngster!:agree:

Last edited: Jun 7, 2014
  18. Stefano G.

In Italy, musical genres such as jazz and the Italian progressive rock, they have been an integral part of Italian culture: the music can sometimes be even culture.

19. Stefano G.

This is a respectable opinion, but it's just an opinion ....

20. Stefano G.

Unfortunately, now in Italy we do not pay much attention to the quality of music: mostly use it as a background while doing other things and as background any garbage can fit.

21. Stefano G.

Older people do; the teenagers a little less.

Picca likes this.
  22. Picca

Picca Forum Resident

Stop discussing. They think we're troglodytes.

23. Rikiii

Rikiii Forum Resident

Picca, are you the one who writes on Gazzetta di Modena every saturday? if so, I love your articles! Go Umarells, Go!
    Anyway, we sure aren't neanderthal men, but we have our peculiarities...
    While the majority of peoples use music as background music, or just to annihilate their last brain cells, there is also a well populated underground scene of music lovers, and vinyl as well.
    About Florence, I know for sure that until a few years ago there were at least two great music stores right below the Santa Maria Novella train station, with a great selection across every possible genre and format.
    It's been a while since I've been there, and I don't remember the names of the shops...
    By the way, if you are looking for great vinyl titles, both new and used, there is a fantastic shop here:

http://www.lavendettadeldisconero.it/html/ricercax.asp

Just browse by artist family name or band name, by title, by label or even by genre.
    Emanuele and Corrado run the shop, and are two of the most passionate and competent people I have ever met.

24. Picca

Picca Forum Resident

Pleased to meet you.

25. timnor

Wow, what a sweeping comment. I must admit I have mostly visited Tuscany but have found interesting record shops in Lucca,
    Sienna and at various flea markets. I never noticed a lack of good music for sale.

Ok the singing Nun is not on my "must have" list.
    Jim

Pavol Stromcek likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.