Favorite photos of the WHO. Do we have a thread like this? My fave pic of Pete...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jun 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moth

Moth fluttering by

The first one's definitely been tampered with. If you look behind Pete's legs, you can see different amounts of amps in both photos.
    Also, if you look closely at the first photo, you can see a mistake: the bottom two don't look to be stacked on top of each other like the top and middle ones do, they look like they're connected.

2. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

Conclusion: visually, they were the most exciting band in history.

3. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

[​IMG]
    One of many shots taken at Winterland 76 by myself and Ex-Wife.

4. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

I've measured the height against the known dimensions of the bottom Hi-Watt cabinet. In my estimation, the vertical leaps are around 2.5 ft high.

5. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

6. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

7. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

8. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Is that a short-scale Jaguar with Jazzmaster pickups? Cool guitar either way

John Bliss likes this.
  9. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

"I know I been wearing crazy clothes
    and I look pretty crappy sometimes..."

Frozensoda, Fullbug and mtatmba like this.
  10. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I'm not sure how to post photos up here anymore so I won't in this thread, but here is a link to a photo of Keith Moon I uploaded a few years ago that is a favorite of mine, taken by Andy Powell of Wishbone Ash. It appears to still work (just click on the image to see a bigger version once you get in the thread below).

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/drummer-faces.274652/page-5#post-7342819

Andy has a pretty funny story to tell which he shared with me along with a couple photos from some Ash/Who tours, that he let me host on my website at the time. The gist of the story is that Keith burst into Andy's hotel room looking for the concert promoter, while holding a submachine gun (!). Keith was on the warpath wanting to terrorize the promoter because he hadn't paid The Who for an earlier gig. Keith was prowling through the hotel yelling for the guy in a voice that Andy described as an imitation of actor Robert Newton as Long John Silver in Treasure Island. Guess you had to be there but from what I've read about Keith (& seen in movies) I can imagine it pretty easily and would not want to be in that promoter's shoes if Keith found him.

OneStepBeyond and reb like this.
  11. Bolero

Bolero Senior Member

lots of great photos out there. one of the more interesting bands to look at IMO

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

this one is pretty cool

[​IMG]

12. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Hendrix looks like he is thinking to himself, "I can't believe I'm standing here with The Who. This is so awesome! Wheee!"

:D

Bolero and OneStepBeyond like this.
  13. KeithH

Pete Townshend had mad hops. :)

Fullbug likes this.
  14. KeithH

Those Union Jack sport jackets were boss.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member

I see now- sorry, my mistake; I've just looked at the album cover and now I agree that it's been Photoshopped.

I was minutes from going to bed when I posted my comment, you see! :)

Agent57 likes this.
  16. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Who are the other 2 guys?

[​IMG]

17. OneStepBeyond

http://www.*****/images/65Who-PST67-The_Who.jpg

[​IMG]

Top image- 1965. Below- 1967. :cool:

18. OneStepBeyond

Fans, I guess! :D

soundboy likes this.
  19. PIGGIES

PIGGIES Forum Resident

Oh Keith, how did it go so wrong!

Fullbug likes this.
  20. Zack

Zack Senior Member

Here Pete is recording the sea for Quadrophenia. I believe that's his dad Cliff behind him. But why do you suppose he has a coat on and a second coat on his arm? Maybe to cover the recording deck in case of rain? And why does he have the cans on his ears if he's clearly not recording at this moment?

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

This fascinates me. Clearly a crappy early gig since the crowd is so close and in formal attire! (Could one actually dance to the 1965-66 Who?) Some of the people look like they've just come across a road accident. And why are those two bottom left looking down and to their right? Did Pete just stab the amp and they are assessing the damage? Also why does Pete appear to be wearing a bathrobe?

21. Clarkophile

Clarkophile Through the Morning, Through the Night

22. PIGGIES

PIGGIES Forum Resident

This fascinates me. Clearly a crappy early gig since the crowd is so close and in formal attire! (Could one actually dance to the 1965-66 Who?) Some of the people look like they've just come across a road accident. And why are those two bottom left looking down and to their right? Did Pete just stab the amp and they are assessing the damage? Also why does Pete appear to be wearing a bathrobe?[/QUOTE]

I believe it was an early corporate type gig at a university/college (hence the formal dress wear & fingers in the ears) & the Who were hired to play at it, why Pete's wearing a bathrobe I don't know, perhaps he was mocking the occasion?

Bolero and Zack like this.
  23. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

You mean, was a cool guitar...

24. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

A familiar set of artists that go by the alias the glimmer twins:D

[​IMG]

25. capn

capn Forum Resident

never seen Pete with a jazzmaster or jaguar before - any more pics?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.