Beatles Mono VINYL Box Set - 8th September 2014 Release Date (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Jun 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. frank3si

frank3si Forum Resident

Whew, FINALLY made it page 12 of Part Two. This is a lot to digest! :laugh:

Paully likes this.
  2. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

I seem to recall from the stereo box threads that folks with bad pressings were able to exchange for those titles alone, not the entire box.

3. matt0505

matt0505 Forum Resident

The stereo version had the black/gold label, so I don't see why the mono wouldn't.

4. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

It probably will since the "inauthentic" 2012 stereo vinyl had it.

Matt Starr and googlymoogly like this.
  5. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Oh just stop it Steve.o_O
    Buy it from Amazon US and if there is ANY problem you send the whole thing back to them on their dime.
    Now go to that site and order the dang thing already!:righton:
    the beave

supermd and steveharris like this.
  6. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Where did you preorder from?
    Amazon or Levykauppa Äx or some other?

7. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

I wonder if the labels will be 100% analog.

8. matt0505

matt0505 Forum Resident

And if so, will I need the proper contact lenses in to be able to read them properly?

Buddhahat likes this.
  9. So if they really want to be true to the originals, then ll the individual LPs should NOT be sealed.

10. sassi

sassi Forum Resident

From Levykauppa Äx. Got 34€ off with stamps that you get automatically with this if you are a registered user. 425,95€ after the discount.

I know I could have gotten it cheaper from Amzon etc. but wanted to support my local record store and also if problems should occure replacing records is fast and simple. :)

KariK likes this.
  11. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

And they should not be at 180 gram weight.

12. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Yeah, as Steve says, all modern mono records are designed to be played with a stereo needle/cartridge. Quite who introduced the idea that you need some special mono equipment I don't know, it's bizarre. I can understand why some of our younger readers may be confused.

ssmith3046 likes this.
  13. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

(I posted this in the mono playback thread, but it seems it would be useful here, since so many people will have an interest in mono playback with the new Beatles mono records coming soon.)

It seems like we don't have a direct illustration of the Y-cable setup on this thread, so here is the setup:

[​IMG]

This cable setup takes all of 10 seconds to install or remove. The difference in sound quality is instant, especially if you're enjoying vintage mono records that aren't in the greatest condition. Surface noise is cut in half. And even some of the peak distortion seems to be lessened a bit, if you have a worn record. As someone who plays a lot of 78s and vintage 45s, these cables are a necessity.

If you need to find a set of cables, just go to Amazon and do a search for "RCA Y cable." Many options will appear. Just make sure you buy one each of the two different end configurations as shown above.

Perhaps later I'll post some needledrop comparisons, showing a vintage mono record playback with (and without) the Y-cable.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
  14. I'd be totally fine with standard weight records. This 180 200g trend doesn't usually mean they are any better in my opinion.

Leviethan and googlymoogly like this.
  15. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

If you squeezed your body around the back of my component cabinet and witnessed the access-repelling horrors of my jungly interconnects, you wouldn't ask.

nesboy43 and Ghostworld like this.
  16. 51nocaster

51nocaster Senior Member

A lot of discussion about y-adapters and mono switches here. In my experience, hitting the mono switch really only makes a difference with noisy vintage original mono LPs. Modern mono vinyl--not so much.

Wally Swift, Ghostworld and keith65 like this.
  17. Paully

Paully De gustibus non est disputandum

Yep, totally agree. And there sometimes is discussion that pressing at 180g leads to more pressing defects than they might have otherwise. Not a complaint. My only struggle is whether to buy the whole set or just the albums I know I really want.

18. let him run...

let him run... Senior Member

Yes, but have you figured what coin to use to weight down the tone arm?

shoshani, calgary669 and brainwashed like this.
  19. Clonesteak

Clonesteak Forum Resident

I just pulled the trigger and ordered this box set! :wiggle: I can't wait for September now. I will be playing my stereo box lots until then.
    What great news to have!!! :pineapple:
    Lots of dancing going on, on this forum. Cheers to everyone!!!

20. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Yep, I the pros and cons of either supporting local chain or major retailer.
    I got my Led Zeppelin Super-Deluxes from Amazon, but got the other vinyl-versions from Levykauppa Äx.
    All of them were pristine, like the The Beatles stereo-vinylsbox as those were pressed by good companies.
    And you're correct about the advantages of buying vinyl from local or national shop.
    Even if I have had excellent luck with any order from Amazon (any of their stores) all items that had any glitches etc were promptly exchanged, but to be honest as I had few things returned/exchanged to Amazon or similar world-wide netstore, its sometimes a bit a troublesome or even annoying. Smaller packages with few albums (cd/lp) are easy but those big boxsets that weight a lot aint that easy.
    Im not too sure yet, but I feel that I might start buying vinyl mostly from local shops here and especially Äx, then cd and any other can be bought anywhere as its not that fragile on the dispatch and posting-process.

I got locked prices at AmazonUK and AmazonDE, but dunno yet where gonna get it.
    Levykauppa Äx has little higher price, but atleast buying there does support local recordstore and also their packages can be gotten a bit faster than from any EU-area retailer. Besides, sometimes you can get nice discounts from stamps and I earn money for living and music from work, so spending few dollars more aint gonna wreck my apartment.
    I almost feel like I should cancel this order and change it over to Levykauppa Äx.

sassi likes this.
  21. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

I am SURE they will forget the partial lamination around the yellow PARLOPHONE logo on the label* :cussing:

That will surely by a missed opportunity! :blah:

22. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

The best result is to combine both channels of sound that your stereo cartridge produces, because the surface noise from each channel will be cut in half when the signals are combined. You're much better off using the Y-cable setup regardless of how many speakers you plan on playing the signal through.

If you only want to listen to the music with one speaker, then you could just buy the Y-cable on the left side of the illustration I posted and plug the single male end into one channel of your preamp or phono input on your receiver. But what would be the point? Why not listen with two speakers for more overall volume? And if you listen with headphones, you'll definitely want the signal converted back to two channels.

keith65 likes this.
  23. sassi

sassi Forum Resident

I just made an experiment with a double Y-cable and my beat-up 1st UK mono Rubber Soul. Wow, now it is very listenable! Thank you so much Steve for this! Been playing vinyl and mono records on a stereo cart for a long time but never figured this out before. :goodie:

Steve Hoffman likes this.
  24. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

Even using a US quarter I never could get that damn skip out of I Am The Walrus (Capitol mono). "Sitting in an english garden waiting for the.... if the sun don't come you get a tan from standing in the english rain." :D Ron

25. keith65

keith65 Forum Resident

In defense of Sean Magee, he actually says in the video that they weren't trying to recreate the originals but produce the original intention, whatever that means is unclear to me...is it the intention of Norman Smith eq settings adapted for modern technology or is it George Martin/The Beatles artistic intention. He also states that 9/10 came as close to the original as possible. So in the end they did recreate the originals. :confused:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.