Beatles Mono VINYL Box Set - 8th September 2014 Release Date (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Jun 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

+1. I'd be much happier if record plants expended their energy on producing consistently good 140-150 gram pressings.

2. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Handwritten.

Matt Starr, Ghostworld and crispi like this.
  3. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

I can't decide to by the whole box (and from where?)or specific LP's.

4. keith65

keith65 Forum Resident

Agree but for some one-speaker mono can be pretty cool...but with you on this.

5. KariK

KariK Forum Resident

I usually support Keltainen Jäänsärkijä. I think it's absolutely the best record dealer in Helsinki area and I want to keep them in business. For example I bought all three Zep Super Deluxe Sets from there and paid total 375 euros. I think it was even cheaper than Äx's price with stamps. My guess is that the Mono box will also be cheaper there like previous Beatles boxes have been.

sassi likes this.
  6. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul

Why would anyone want to listen to mono records through one speaker only? It's more than just volume, right? I can't speak for the Beatles in mono, but all my well-produced mono records sound almost like stereo--in the sense that I often get the vocals in the center of the soundstage with the other instruments floating out of the left and right speakers. It's pretty awesome to see people's reaction when they swear music is coming out of my center channel speaker and then put their ear up to it and hear nothing.

7. Yeah. Then the gas for my Audi would be a bit cheaper

8. matt0505

matt0505 Forum Resident

When I look at that picture on the previous page I guess the first thing that comes to mind is how does that Y cable setup really make a difference?

I mean...you're sending 2 cables into 1, and then you're sending that 1 back out of 2. What is really the difference between that and just using one Red/White cable?

9. Lost Monkey

Lost Monkey Forum Resident

This looks like the set to get.. I have been hoping for this (with a better quality pressing) since the Rainbo fiasco.

I have my "Abbey Road" and "Let It Be" from Rainbo (each exchanged 2 times- still not 100%) and I'll be happy to add this set to the group...

Pre-ordered today - Amazon.ca

10. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

You're summing the signal which removes out of phase information - which on a mono record, is all noise. It makes a very big difference. Somewhat less on a new or minty mono record, but still a difference as there is still surface rumble and other noise that isn't quite "surface noise" per se but is still inherent to even the best of vinyl records. Think of it as a signal purifier. You can expect more stable imaging and a perfectly centered mono "soundstage" on the best of records. Those in worse condition will have surface noise dramatically reduced, and the remaining noise less noticeable and distracting.

Also, as for the diagram that was posted previously, I would recommend using it after the phono pre-amp and not before it, if possible on your setup.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
    supermd likes this.
  11. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Glad I could help.

sassi likes this.
  12. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Please, people, read the above. Do you understand why now? Important if you're going to play hours of mono vinyl.

MrRom92 likes this.
  13. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

After the dust settles, it sure would be interesting to hear from an insider a blow-by-blow account of how the decision came about to go back to the analog masters (and pardon me if that information has already come to light in these threads!). My impression is that the 2009 stereo vinyl reissues were generally well-received with the major misstep being Rainbo. So, they could have decided to fix just that problem (which they did) but stick with the digital mastering, and called it a day.

14. keith65

keith65 Forum Resident

From Fremers post: "The EMI representative told me that after absorbing the criticism heaped on the digitally sourced stereo box—including the extensive analogplanet.com coverage, which was correctly construed as constructive criticism—the decision was made to produce the mono LPs using an all analog mastering chain."

Kermit27 and jamesmaya like this.
  15. They definitely stated over again after working the mono from digital so they spent more time and money than originally planned.

A smart move but probably wouldn't have happened if the Rainbo pressing issue hadn't come up. I doubt Analogue Planet aaa raves alone would have changed their direction. Look zeps sound great and they are not all aaa

Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
    jamesmaya likes this.
  16. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Precisely, well-stated. Seems that commerce (the "bottom-line") was not necessarily the driving factor in this turnabout. "Art" prevailed! :)

MrRom92 likes this.
  17. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Not to mention, they promise "Sleeve artwork identical to the originals" - to me that certainly implies that they'll be numbering the White Album lps.

18. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

Hello Steve hows things? What was the original gram weight ??

19. My guess 140. Maybe heavier in the us than the uk ?

Maidenpriest likes this.
  20. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

I totally agree. However, I think that the QC on this set will be pretty rigorous since they started from scratch based on complaints about the stereo set. I imagine that there will be far fewer instances of non-fill and warping coming out of Optimal. That's probably one of the reasons that the project kept getting pushed back.

21. jo234

jo234 Forum Resident

But only if you buy them in the US. If you want to buy them in the EU, buying them individually would be more expensive than buying the box. Anyway, if you buy in the US or Canada, you'll have a lot of customs charges...

22. bobsyerunkle

bobsyerunkle Forum Resident

I think it is ridiculous, all this fuss made about the vinyl mono remasters being AAA (all analog). How come I was not afforded the same due care and attention to detail with my mono CD box? I want my CDs to be AAA too Goddamit!

Thurenity and crispi like this.
  23. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

Cause they are CD's! :)

Just kidding. Sorta.

You Aint getting the last A with a silly CD even with a planetary pole reversal.

bobsyerunkle likes this.
  24. icirider

icirider Forum Resident

Thanks, I'm going to give this a shot. I run my Pro-Ject turntable right into my Onkyo receiver (no pre-amp except "on board" the receiver if that makes sense). I do have a speed box, but otherwise a pretty basic set up by the board's standards I'm sure. I have some vintage mono stuff and the Dylan box so I'm sure it'll be worthwhile.

MrRom92 likes this.
  25. bobsyerunkle

bobsyerunkle Forum Resident

Forgot the ironic smiley with my post :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.