Fargo FX Original Series

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Scope J, Mar 15, 2014.

1. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

It didn't just "seem" legally wrong, it was absolutely legally wrong for Gus to execute him like that. And almost certainly morally wrong as well. Even if Malvo deserved it (and Gus doesn't really know much of what Malvo did), Gus could have very well put himself behind bars, away from his wife, kid and unborn child. It doesn't ruin the show or episode for me by any stretch. I'm okay with how it went, and don't expect everyone in a story like this to act legally or morally. What fun is that? And the debate about what Gus did is interesting. But I can't look at Gus and say that was a perfectly justifiable act.

Yeah, there's that. Or maybe. Malvo left pretty shortly after Gus saw the red mustang by the cabin and decided not to call, so we don't know that the police would have gotten there in time, but Gus watched Malvo drive away in the dark car (that looks like an FBI car) and didn't call anybody to say anything. So yeah, his decision to stay there and wait for Malvo to come back probably did cost the two agents their lives.

Bender Rodriguez likes this.
  2. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Great post Ken.

3. dbacon

dbacon Senior Member

I was expecting Gus to put Malvo through a wood chipper.

4. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident

Actually, I was happy with the actions of Gus and did not consider them immoral. Technically illegal, maybe, but not immoral. Malvo was a serial killer after all, and he had threatened Gus' life, and Gus had a family in harms way from Malvo as well. I was glad Gus didn't wimp out like that computer guy on "24" this week. Look what happened to him.

notesofachord and heatherly like this.
  5. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

" Time to thin the herd. " :agree:

6. Not many bear traps inside bedrooms.

7. Gus didn't see the black car drive away. Malvo didn't have it yet It only returned

8. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

You're right, my bad.

9. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

My thoughts about the finale:

Overall, it was OK, but quite anticlimactic. My biggest beef is the foreshadowing right at the beginning of the episode with the snowmobile and the hole in the ice. All that did was RUIN Lester's demise at the end of the episode, because there was no surprise, or anticipation, or emotional build-up of any kind. The instant we see Malvo get 2 bullets in the head, all suspense is removed - like air out of a balloon - because we just KNOW that ice hole is meant for Lester.

Frankly, we had it figured out right at the BEGINNING of the episode because of that visual montage. Really, really crappy editing choice, in my opinion. I'm sure the opening sequence was put in because it was visual, and non-specific, but if anyone's running scenarios through their head at that point, they know someone's going to die, and it will likely be one of the 2 big bads. Once Malvo's done, Lester's telegraphed demise is assured.

Likewise, the killing of Malvo by Gus was also anticlimactic. We knew Gus was there in the cabin, we knew Malvo was seriously messed up, we knew Gus had surprise on his side, and we knew it could only end a couple of ways; 1) Gus kills Malvo, 2) Malvo kills Gus. It would have been more rewarding if Gus' appearance at the cabin had been more of a surprise, although I don't know how that could have been done without us seeing him go to the cabin. I just think the set-up was weak, and maybe a better option could have been used.

Bottom line, the series was really, really good. It was just missing a better planned-out resolution. OK finale, but could have been so much more.

heatherly, Rufus McDufus and rburly like this.
  10. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Well sometime the adventure of getting to the end is better than the end in and of itself, in life and on a fictional TV show. I sure enjoyed the ride to the end, even if the end wasn't a WOW moment in all respects.

Rufus McDufus likes this.
  11. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Correct - and in this case Fargo's overall ride was better than its destination. I enjoyed the series immensely, and hope the next series (if it happens) will be as good as the first.

12. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I really liked the ending. Great episode with cool quirks (EG: the whole wolf thing), the red herrings/things to steer the audience into thinking one thing instead of what does happens (EG: I was sure that Malvo was going to slaughter everybody in the police station and that Molly would be safer if she LEFT instead of stayed there, yet Malvo didn't attack the station at all).

I was even wondering to myself during the confrontation between Gus and Malvo, the way Malvo was shot yet seemed more pissed off than seriously wounded (until the headshots did him in), that Malvo was a cyborg or something like Ah-nold in Terminator - or the devil himself in human form and it (his injuries) were just a temporary setback. They seemed to intentionally drag all that out. Not an ez guy to kill that is for sure. The thing with him "operating" on his leg would have been a perfect fit for the Terminator if they had him not show any emotion/pain at all, but I guess that would've been pushing it!

Something weird to mention. I've been rewatching the show Dexter again, and in Season 2 with Keith Carradine as Lundy the FBI agent, Lundy mentions how he has had it with the heat down in Miami and suggests that he & Deb go away to a colder climate & go ice fishing! Since Carradine's character in Fargo goes ice fishing a couple times I wonder if that was just a coincidence, or was an intentional thing they decided to throw in as a nod to one of his other characters (in Dexter).

13. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Hard to say, but then that nod to " Ern " in a 1971 Bonanza was a nice touch.

14. Pete Norman

Pete Norman Forum Resident

great series, the wolf at the end was a very nice touch, harkening back to various references earlier in the series.

Malvo was the devil's hitman...!

15. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident

Not that it matters, but I think that was a BMW, rather than a Mustang. Does that make him better or worse?

16. minerwerks

minerwerks Forum Resident

If I recall correctly from my own experience at the dentist, wasn't he curing a filling? That implies he had just drilled and filled the tooth!

17. minerwerks

minerwerks Forum Resident

Molly knew the purpose and whereabouts of the FBI agents, but I don't think Gus was privy to that information. I do think it's safe to assume that he knew that as long as Malvo was about, anyone's life could be in danger. But Gus also knew that if he were to follow Malvo and try to prevent any damage he may be attempting to do, Malvo would be on alert and have a reflex to protect himself. But Gus waited patiently and maintained the element of surprise, which was the best way to go.

notesofachord and LEONPROFF like this.
  18. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

Good, satisfying finale. Almost too satisfying; I quite wrongly predicted good people with guns would die, but it's okay. This show threw enough turns and twists (and carnage-oh the carnage) at us for the first 9 episodes that it didn't make the inevitable deaths in the finale feel like forgone conclusions. I like that Lester's long range view of his death mirrored the scene at the beginning of the movie when Peter Storemare's character shot the innocent bystander running away. We also got a small snippet of the movie's theme music (which, to my knowledge, was the only time in the whole series). Billy Bob Thornton has already won a Critic's Choice Television award for this (over Bryan Cranston-he was good but not that good), as well as Alison Tolman for Molly, so I'm sure this show is going to get much awards love going forward.

LEONPROFF likes this.
  19. tman53

tman53 Vinyl is an Addiction

34 killings in total.

20. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

They weren't in the same category -- Billy Bob won his award for best actor in a mini-series, while Matthew McConaughey beat Cranston in the drama series category.

Why they're in two different categories when both shows are in the same limbo between series and mini-series I don't know.

21. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

You're right-when I saw Cranston lost I think I just blacked out.

22. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member Thread Starter

Kind of amusing that Malvo
    puts on Green Tambourine

Vidiot likes this.
  23. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

Lots to like in the finale. Not seamless, but lots to like & a good wrap up of a fun (in a 'noir' sort of way) season.

I particularly liked the scene of Lou & his granddaughter Greta on the porch. After he recounts the last time he kept watch on a porch, and I was left wondering if his story will be the topic of next season?

Pete Puma likes this.
  24. I think that he did what he did for a good reason. He saw Malvo as a Terminator kind of guy --he was afraid he was going to go after us family and that he would succeed to killing is wife. I think that he realize no matter what Malvo was the ki d of guy that ALWAYS got away with it no matter what.

Morally wrong? Yep. Made sense though.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2014
  25. I think Malvo's death was handled well. The point is everyone lets there guard down sometime and overtime a guy like Malvo will make his own fatal mistake. Even a predator can be the prey, which I believe was the point of the Wolf's appearances.