Beatles Mono VINYL Box Set - 8th September 2014 Release Date (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Jun 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

I think you'll like it. Four lads in a big room full of happy noise and ending 18 hours later with a mouthful of throat lozenges and ripped vocal chords. Perfection!

2. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

:faint:

That was me noticing this thread on Page 2 a few minutes ago.

Simon A likes this.
  3. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Not to get too far off-topic, but a couple question about the stereo box. I know the stereo LPs were mastered in digital, but it seems that some folks still like how they sound. So, then there's Rainbo. Were the pressing issues ever corrected (i.e., improved quality control)? What is the likelihood of getting good pressings from Amazon (assuming newer stock)?

4. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

In a nutshell, spend a bit more and get a copy pressed (wherever it was) in Europe.

5. Doug Sulpy

Doug Sulpy Forum Resident

We tried that a couple of years ago on a high-end stereo, and the results were spectacular. When placed dead-center, the sound comes out and envelops you and packs a real punch. The same mono signal coming out of two speakers (or four, for that matter) fills a room with sound - but it doesn't do the same thing.

6. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

You've got to go to a super high end audio store and ask the staff if you can do this with their best speakers. :p

7. I love the stereo box. Others here will feel differently as some of the pressing issues got in the way. Clouded their listening judgement IMHO

But I have both the UK and US stereo editions. I doubt they ever reprinted in the US but I was able to get close to perfect us pressings. The Euro pressings were all great from the git go

But note; they both sound Exactly the Same!!! They sound great. The euro is not better. The us no worse.

If I were ordering today, I'd invest and order from amazon Germany or the uk. Just to probably get the stress free pressings

It's a great set of stereo albums

John Bliss, hodgo, ibanez_ax and 2 others like this.
  8. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

I doubt Jeff Bezos knows the answer either.

9. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

So who's pressing the mono box set?

10. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

Sir, you've been hanging around this forum too long, you're starting to sound like us :)

11. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

You guys mean Paul's "Ah, one, two, three, Fauw!" I love that countdown!

hodgo likes this.
  12. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

This may stand stupid but without that countdown I don't think The Beatles would have made the same impact on popular music, that countdown signified something exciting about to happen, a fresh beginning :)

Bryce, hodgo and Ghostworld like this.
  13. Devilscucumber

Devilscucumber Forum Resident

Hope Optimal are up to it.
    On my Zeppelin remasters out of 7 deluxe edition discs, 3 had defects; ( one scratched side, two "lumps" and a depression on the reverse of the scratched disc. Plus a little more surface noise than I would have liked on the scratched LZII disc).
    While on the 2012 Stereo Optimal Beatles pressings 1 out of 8 discs was defective with non-fill. (Revolver).
    Also it seems that there were a few complaints of warping from Europe on the LZ Optimal pressings, but that may be the result of bad shipping/storage practices.
    The Pallas pressings seem to be less problematic.
    And of course people with issues make more noise than those who have none.:cool:

14. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

Not to thread cap/crap/otherwise. We had to take a family trip to visit my dad in the hospital so I put in my 7 year old son's mono Sgt Pepper (with bonus stuff from Yellow Sub and Magical Mystery) burned from AAC files in a cheap Chevy car stereo and it STILL sounded incredible :) make of that what you will

ptijerm likes this.
  15. Headfone

Headfone Nothing Tops A Martin

Actually, it's a count-in (numbers would be descending in a countdown). Originally, the count-in was edited onto the "best" take from a previous take. So, it was done with deliberate forethought. Someone must have thought it added energy and excitement to the opening of the first LP. I tend to agree.

16. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

You do understand that I was kidding, right? Hard to tell with you guys sometime.

17. Headfone

Headfone Nothing Tops A Martin

Nope. Didn't understand.

18. Radiotron

Radiotron Tube Designer

IIRC, this count-in was left by George Martin to create the illusion they were being recorded live. That was his plan for the first LP but a visit to the Cavern convinced him this wasn't a good venue for that.

19. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

Liking the Beatles without a sense of humor is like liking chocolate without taste buds

hodgo likes this.
  20. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

I only own Pepper on vinyl [stereo, 70's press] so my wife is glad that the box has been pre-ordered!

action pact and Keith V like this.
  21. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

Pep is totally different in mono. You'll love it.

Wally Swift and goat65cars like this.
  22. search&destroy

search&destroy Well-Known Member

i ordered from amazon.uk. even with expedited shipping its only about $24 more then amazon usa (which charges sales tax).
    somehow it just feels ...right...to order from the uk. the records themselves may be all pressed at optimal
    but....the jackets may be pressed in both the eu and usa...as it was for the stereo box. and if so, the usa jackets may not be the replica of the original uk jackets.

23. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

I need the Mono Masters so that's a shoe-in. This is really good/promising news about the whole project. Like dung descending on a mushroom.

24. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

Uh, did we finish part 1 already? Yoikes

25. John D.

John D. Senior Member

I like amazon.uk too, but on big ticket items if there is a problem, you pay return shipping. :shake:

Wally Swift likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.