Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #56)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

The problem is that Bach choral performances which use period instruments also are likely to use a much smaller chorus which may disappoint him. My recommendation therefore is to stick to early Classical and avoid Baroque. Haydn's masses or Mozart's are probably the safest bet since the chorus will be of a certain minimum size likely to satisfy him even if performed in period style.

There are a number of editions of Haydn's Masses by Hickox, Pinnock, King's College JE Gardiner and Marriner which are not overblown. I would suggest listening to samples on Amazon or elsewhere and finding one you think would suit him. Regards

2. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Now playing:
    Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart – Piano Concerto No.19 K459, No.20 K466
    Alfred Brendel — Orchestra of the Vienna Volksoper — Wilfried Boettcher (Brilliant Classics — Vox)

[​IMG]

bluemooze, John S and Joe071 like this.
  3. John S

John S Forum Resident

My two favorite Mozart concertos back-to-back -- it doesn't happen that often on disc. It happens again on what I presume is a later recording with Brendel/Marriner.

[​IMG]

bluemooze and Mr Bass like this.
  4. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

That recording of the Concerto in A Major, #23 is my favorite possibly of all Mozart PC recordings. Have it on LP now, have owned that two-fer in the past.

ToddBD and John S like this.
  5. Joe071

Joe071 Forum Resident

Now watching:

6. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

Now listening to Mahler "Songs of a Wayfarer," Philharmonia/Furtwangler, Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau…you can't tell from the front of the album, my copy of the LP is just like this photo I found on E-Bay. Side 2 is the Brahms Lieder, Op. 32. Got it for $2. I am most certainly the richer man...
    [​IMG]

7. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I have a 6 disc set of Fischer-Dieskau performing Brahms lieder. I wonder if it has those recordings.

8. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

After you have listened to those early music recordings on Gimell, most other labels just do not measure up ...

9. Citroen

Citroen vinylholic

Bach: Cantatas, BWV 78 & 106 (Historical Anthology, The Bach Guild), Stich-Randall, D Hermann, A Dermota, Felix Prohaska vinyl.

Best known for this:

bluemooze and Robin L like this.
  10. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

KPFA berkeley has been using the "Wir Eilen" duet from BWV 78 every Sunday morning for over sixty years as the outro theme on "A Musical Offering."

11. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Peter Philips and company are tighter and more focused sounding than most Choral groups performing that music. But for some, they might be a bit too severe.

12. tinpanalley

tinpanalley Forum Resident

Thank you all again. After listening to everything (and adding more to my own list of things to explore further) I've decided on one or two Tallis Scholars CDs as the best choice. Thanks again!

Robin L and john greenwood like this.
  13. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

:edthumbs: Listening to them right now.

14. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Thomas Tallis' "Spem in Alium" is amazing. One on a part in that work results in 40 voices, a more than reasonable size for a choir of mixed voices. "Spem" is supposed to be performed in the round, with eight five-voiced choirs singing canonically, as in a "round." A real good excuse for a SACD player and a surround system.

Just for 'kicks', check this out. I was recording engineer and editor for a lot of this. Kitka's "Nectar" is a bit esoteric for most but genuine and beautiful and artful and really well sung. The CD is available at:

http://www.kitka.org/store/

The website also has download options.

The link below provides whole songs "earmarked" with a voice-over that every 30 seconds says "Magnatune." It gives you a better idea of what's going on than 30 second samples even if the v.o. is jarring. But it gives you a chance to hear "Tisntsharo":

http://magnatune.com/artists/albums/kitka-nectar?song=3

[​IMG]

bluemooze and ToddBD like this.
  15. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to "Matthaeus Pipelare - Missa "L'homme arme"/Chansons/Motets" performed by the Huelgas Ensemble on Vivarte.

[​IMG]

PH416156 and ToddBD like this.
  16. Joe071

Joe071 Forum Resident

I started my morning with this, and then switched to Horace Silver.

[​IMG]

17. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

[​IMG]

wolfram and Joe071 like this.
  18. John S

John S Forum Resident

All giants....

Mahler was 5'4", he couldn't look down on Wagner.

Joe071 likes this.
  19. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

:agree:

20. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

On the turntable right now…
    [​IMG]

vanhooserd, bluemooze and Joe071 like this.
  21. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

Now on the turntable…my copy is a US pressing, mono blue label Angel, not this one as pictured (sorry, I couldn't find a decent picture of mine online). I think this is an outstanding performance.
    [​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  22. coopmv

Nice. I missed the DG open-reel boat completely, though I do have quite a few classical reels ...

How do you insert your own photo these days anyway?

23. coopmv

Just completed my first listens to the following CD's ...

CD5 from Bohm's Beethoven Symphonies box

[​IMG]

CD5 from Hogwood's Vivaldi box

[​IMG]

CD13 from Alain's JS Bach Complete Organ Works box

[​IMG]

I had to do half the listening through my headphone via the outboard DAC since it was late night listening on the big system.

bluemooze, ToddBD and Joe071 like this.
  24. coopmv

I probably have all the Tallis Scholars' recordings on Gimell. Have they released any new recordings recently?

25. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

Jenufa was the second opera I saw performed. A coworker who subscribed to the NSO couldn't go and gave me a ticket. I liked it so much, I started subscribing the next season.

I also bought that boxed set a couple of weeks ago. Still unopened though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.