Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #56)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Now listening to: Arthur Rubinstein - Mazurkas Opp.6, 7, 17, 24, 30 and 33 - disc 7 of the 10CD-set Arthur Rubinstein Plays Chopin - Sony/RCA; these are the 1965-1966 recordings

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 22, 2014
  2. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

One of the few holes in my Red Seal LP collection.

3. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Is this box the same as the Gold Seal box? I have the latter in my Chopin collection ...

4. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

The box I mentioned was released in 2010 and is 24-bit remastered (for what it's worth).

5. drh

drh Talking Machine

In brief: rather glamorous French pianist who has developed a devoted following among current music lovers. Outside the world of music, she is noted for her advocacy for conservation of wolves in the wild.

bluemooze likes this.
  6. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

The only Grimaud recording I have is her interpretation of Bartók's third piano concerto with Pierre Boulez and the London Symphony Orchestra (DG).

7. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

I am only aware of two digital masterings of the RCA material; not to say there haven't been more. There was something called the Chopin Collection which was issued initially in 1985 as 3 box sets. I have the digitally sourced LPs. Significantly better sounding than the poorly mastered originals BTW. Then there was an SACD hybrid around 2005. I'm not sure who did the remastering on that one.

EDIT: The SACD remaster was not for all of the RCA material as far as I can tell. As mentioned above there was a recent 24 bit remaster in 2010 it looks like. I think it is probably inferior to the SACD but is more complete.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2014
  8. drh

drh Talking Machine

I have by no means gone out of my way to collect her recordings, but I have a couple. She did a very nice Emperor Concerto for DG, although it didn't in any way displace my favorite accounts (in the first two mvts., Friedrich Wuhrer under Heinrich Hollreiser, who, sadly, let me down in the last mvt. with a somewhat too leisurely tempo; for the work as a whole, but second to Wuhrer in the first two mvts., Cor de Groot with Willem van Otterloo). Checking my server, I see that I also have her in a bunch of stuff from a Brilliant box (Brahms, Rachmaninoff, Chopin, Schumann, Ravel), very likely a Christmas gift from a few years back, but if I've played any it didn't make enough of an impression that I remember it.

9. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

never really thought of her as glamorous. She's a solid musician although I find her phrasing to often be heavy handed. Her work with wolves is quite admirable. I will be glad to see her again in concert.

John S likes this.
  10. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

IMHO, Martha is still the best female pianist of her generation and the next two generations ...

11. Scott Wheeler

She would be my second favorite

12. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I attended a benefit reception for the wolves several years ago. I was the guest of a friend who wanted to meet her. The concert itself was meh. (Stuart is right about her Bach playing.)

A year or so before that I heard a nice performance by her of the Ravel Piano Concerto.

Scott Wheeler likes this.
  13. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Who's your first?

14. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

The line forms to the rear. :love:

John S and rockerreds like this.
  15. Scott Wheeler

Yuja Wang. She has taken the very top spot from Ivan Moravec for me. Something I thought would never happen. Of course there is a part of me that almost thinks it is necessary to separate musicians into two categories. Musicians as they are represented in recordings and musicians as they are live. Two very different worlds.

16. drh

drh Talking Machine

Maybe not a good word choice. Glamorous in an arresting focus-of-media-attention sort of way, not in the traditional ball-gown-and-tiara manner. Suffice it to say, when she goes somewhere, there's no doubt she gets noticed.

17. Scott Wheeler

I see.

18. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Now playing: Shostakovich - Symphony 14, Op.135 - Vasily Petrenko/Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra with Gal James and Aleksandr Vinogradov - Naxos

[​IMG]

ToddBD and bluemooze like this.
  19. drh

drh Talking Machine

Question for our Nielsen lovers: yesterday at the thrift store I picked up a copy of the 4th and 5th syms. performed by the SFSO under Herbert Blomstedt. Nielsen has never really grabbed me, but--not coincidentally, I suppose--I've never really explored his works in any systematic way, either. Among Those Who Know, are the Blomstedt recordings well regarded? (In other words, did I just waste two bucks?)

20. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

I can't say I'm in the know but I've heard that the Blomstedt recordings are well regarded.

ToddBD likes this.
  21. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Blomstedt's Nielsen is indeed well regarded, and so is Karajan's interpretation of Nielsen's 4th symphony.

22. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

One of my favorites of all time is my CD of the Chicago Symphony playing Nielsen 2 with Gould, and 4 with Martinon. There is simply no matching that brass section, and I think it stands as a monumental Nielsen recording.

kevinsinnott likes this.
  23. Mr Bass

Mahler: Symphony 10. Chailly, Berlin Radio Sym Orch. Decca Germany.

I am a fan of the Symphony 10 and the Cooke performing edition. Fortunately Mahler had basically written the short score for all 5 movements. Of course Cooke had to fill in secondary and counterpoint music from Mahler's sketchy notes. Chailly's is the best overall performance although the opening Adagio has been better performed by Ormandy, Mehta and some others. The remaining movements are very well done. What is interesting is how different in mood are the two Scherzos, a novelty of course.

[​IMG]

bluemooze and ToddBD like this.
  24. Mr Bass

Nielsen is one of those composers who needs sensitive conducting to make sense. His music does not play itself in other words. Unfortunately no one in my opinion has done a satisfactory cycle. In the stereo era, I would put Bernstein's #3 and #5 and Schmidt's #6 at the top of interpretations. There were better performances by Scandinavian conductors in the mono era but that wouldn't deter you. Frandsen, Tuxen, Jensen did excellent performances post WW 2.

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  25. Joe071

Joe071 Forum Resident

Hey, I like that. As far as that other thing, guess I should just stick with Horowitz and Richter. :unhunh: Just kidding, of course, I will check her out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.