Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #56)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kevinsinnott

kevinsinnott Forum Coffeeologist

I have Rubinstein's Beethoven discs. If memory serves that one was engineered by Lew Layton, or was it Anthony Salvatore. You reminded me, Joe, and I listened to them this evening. Almost doesn't get better, in fact I don't think it does.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
    EasterEverywhere and Joe071 like this.
  2. Joe071

Joe071 Forum Resident

You're right, it probably doesn't. As for the engineering, I wouldn't know, this disc is part of my LS box, therefore no credits are given. :cry:

kevinsinnott likes this.
  3. compactaudio

compactaudio Member

4. Joe071

Joe071 Forum Resident

5. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Dvorak: String Quartets Op 34/96. Decca UK

[​IMG]

6. Joe071

Joe071 Forum Resident

And your excellent post inspired me to listen to this:

Thanks a bunch.:righton:

bluemooze and Mr Bass like this.
  7. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

Love the painting as much as the music. For those who haven't been there, I highly recomend the Brandywine River Museum of Art outside of Wilmington, Delaware. It's essentially the Wyeth family museum. You can also tour Andrew and N.C. Wyeth's studios.

8. Joe071

Joe071 Forum Resident

Yeah, me too. Been googling Wyeth for the last 30 minutes or so. I would love to see the museum.

9. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to "Ravel - Oeuvres Pour Violon Et Piano" performed by Brigitte Engerer and Regis Pasquier on Harmonia Mundi France.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

dale 88, ToddBD and Mr Bass like this.
  10. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I have this excellent recording in my Bach collection ...

Joe071 and ToddBD like this.
  11. coopmv

A few composers such as Stravinsky, Schoenberg, Bartok and Ravel are very tough nuts for me to crack. While I have some recordings by each of these composers, I think the total has to be no more than a dozen between my CD and LP collections ...

12. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Can't like everything. :) I make an effort to explore because I don't want to miss out. But then, based on my exploring, I'm very comfortable sticking with just what I enjoy. Being retired has given me enough time to give things a chance that I would have passed over before.

ToddBD and J.A.W. like this.
  13. coopmv

For a long time, my focus has been on the works of JS Bach and naturally I also have more recordings of his works (like close to 30 versions of the Brandenburg Concertos) than those by any other composers ...

14. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to "Copland/Gould - Composers Conduct" on RCA CD.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

I'm pretty sure that I have at least one recording of every Bach composition. Only composer I can say that about. :) Also, I can definitely say that I don't have 30 versions of any composers works. :D Have got five or six Brandenburg Concerto sets though.

ToddBD likes this.
  16. Mr Bass

Speaking of Bach

Well Tempered Clavier. Christiane Jaccottet, harpsichord. Vienna Master Series/ZYX Classics.

One of the best WTC's of the CD era IMO. Very melodic phrasing. It was issued in a goofy manner however spread over several separate CDs. I find piano just too clattering in the WTC fugues. (Yes I do have some CDs.)

[​IMG]

Joe071 and bluemooze like this.
  17. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

EXTRA FOR EXPERTS! - Does composers require an apostrophe? (I used to know this kind of stuff but now I'm stupid)

18. coopmv

Don't worry, most of the grade school kids nowadays can't even write properly nor can they do simple math ... :sigh:

Joe071, J.A.W. and bluemooze like this.
  19. Mr Bass

I believe any is typically associated with plural nouns so my guess is it is "any composers' works".

Joe071 likes this.
  20. coopmv

The late Christiane Jaccottet was one of the most outstanding harpsichordists of her generation. Unfortunately, Philips (or UniversalMusic) has pretty much forgotten about all her solo recordings. Her WTC on this little-known label just about completed my WTC collection, i.e. there are no other versions worth collecting - on piano or on harpsichord ...

Joe071, ToddBD and Mr Bass like this.
  21. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

You da MAN! :edthumbs:

Joe071 likes this.
  22. Mr Bass

Yes her premature death was most unfortunate. I don't understand the middling regard in which she is held unless critics want more ostentatious playing. Her playing with Grumiaux on the Violin Sonatas was distinctly better than his earlier version with Sartori IMO.

Would you be able to list the versions of the WTC you have? I have only found 3 that I can live with (Leonhardt, Walcha, Jaccottet) but maybe I've missed some.

Joe071 likes this.
  23. drh

drh Talking Machine

No, it's singular: composer's. Think of it this way: "I don't have 30 versions of any [single] composer's works."

24. Mr Bass

Michael Swan (Practical English Usage, Oxford University Press, 1995)

"Any
    is a determiner. It generally suggests an indefinite amount or number, and is used when it is not important to say how much/ how many we are thinking of. Because of its "open," non-specific meaning, any is often used in questions and negative clauses and in other cases where there is an idea of doubt or negation.

Any is very often used with uncountable and plural nouns. It can have the same kind of meaning as the indefinite article a/an has with singular countable nouns:"

I think the placement of the apostrophe would depend on what was the intent of the statement. One particular composer or any number of composers (one or more than one). There must be an English professor in the Forum somewhere.

Bluemooze, please please refrain from any questions like this in the future. :confused:

Joe071 and bluemooze like this.
  25. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

Yes! I have this set, as a graduate student this was the only way I could afford it. I think it is quite good.

Mr Bass likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.