Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #56)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

The Sorcerer's Apprentice - Dukas
    The last two movements of Symphonie Fantastique by Berlioz
    O Fortuna by Orff?
    And I might include "The Ballad of Sweeney Todd"

2. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

Are these some of the recordings made with Dorati in the late 70s,when Polygram tried to make some new recordings under the Golden Imports banner?I only have two of these LPs.Did Dorati do the whole Beethoven cycle at this time?

Joe071 likes this.
  3. john greenwood

I think it's coming out on AP at some point.

4. EasterEverywhere

Cover made me think of the .5 LPs of the early 80s.Have all the Shaded Dogs,and some White Dogs,but I once picked up all the .5s at once in a record store dollar bin.Dreadful sounding records.This poster in this ancient thread has it right.

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...ding-album-of-all-time.2116/page-3#post-21095

ToddBD likes this.
  5. EasterEverywhere

I have either two Shaded Dogs,or a Shaded and a White Dog.One was 75¢ ,the other was 50¢.

Joe071 and ToddBD like this.
  6. EasterEverywhere

My favorite recordings may still be Bernstein's first with The BSO from the 40s.The wonderful mono RCA tube sound,the youthful energy of Lenny's performance,etc.Of the three different RCA issues I have the 1954-55 Camdens sond the best.

Joe071 and ToddBD like this.
  7. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

That's why they were 49 cents. Walcha harpsichord records are not easy to find and usually go for $10-20 per LP. I agree that some of the early white red Odeons were poorly manufactured.

8. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

Listening to this Shostakovich 4, CSO/Previn. A stunning account of a daring work.
    [​IMG]

Joe071, bluemooze and Mr Bass like this.
  9. Mr Bass

Well it depends how spooked you want to be.

My choices would be Schoenberg's Pierrot Lunaire and Prokofiev's Sym 3. The Prokofiev was based on material from Prokofiev's opera The Fiery Angel dealing with Satanic possession/hysteria. Pierrot Lunaire is a song cycle using speechsong based on very spooky texts.

Pierrot Lunaire: Boulez or Cleo Laine
    Prokofiev Sym 3: Rozhdestvensky or Leinsdorf.

Hawkman, Joe071 and bluemooze like this.
  10. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

All the other classical LPs were the same price-I bought a bunch. As I say, I have never seen anything like these discs, covered with blisters the size & shape of a small medicine capsule embedded in the vinyl.

11. drh

drh Talking Machine

You might try Mozart's Fantasia for Mechanical Organ for an off-the-beaten-track option. And of course there's always the Saint-Saens Danse Macabre and the funeral march mvt. from Chopin's second piano sonata.

Come to think of it, William Bolcom wrote a Graceful Ghost Rag that isn't especially "spooky" but does fit with the theme.

[Edit] A couple of other thoughts: Cesar Franck, Le Chasseur Maudit (The Accursed Huntsman) would fit the bill, and of course the world of opera is full of possibilities--one that springs immediately to mind is Son Lo Spirito ("I Am the Spirit of Negation"--the whistling aria) from Boito's Mefistofele.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
    Hawkman and bluemooze like this.
  12. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

In the past year I read the novel 'The Firey Angel' by Valery Bryusov, the book on which the opera was based. It is a historical novel set in 16th Century Germany with both fantastic & satirical aspects.

Mr Bass likes this.
  13. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

I don't have any .5's and have never seen one in the thrift stores and used record outlets nearby...at least now I know to avoid them! I don't have many shaded dogs as I am sort of new at the "collecting" side of things, but almost all I have are absolutely stellar sounding. The only one that was disappointing to me was the Reiner CSO "New World." I was really happy I finally found it, and put it on and was not impressed with the sonics at all...probably the pressing, but it seemed like I was hearing the orchestra from 75 yards away.

14. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now on the turntable, "Beethoven - Serenade in D, Op. 8 for Violin, Viola and Cello," performed by the Grumiaux-Trio from the Philips vinyl box set "Beethoven - Complete String Trios."

Arthur Grumiaux - violin/Geroges Janzer - Viola/Eva Czako - cello.

[​IMG]

15. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now on the turntable, "William Byrd - The Three Masses" performed by The Tallis Scholars on Gimell Records DMM vinyl (pic is of the CD).

[​IMG]

Mr Bass, ToddBD and Joe071 like this.
  16. Joe071

Joe071 Forum Resident

I’ve been wondering about the whole cycle myself. I am only familiar with Dorati’s 4th, 5th and 8th in mono and his Eroica in stereo, and his stereo 5th (1962), 6th (1962) and 7th (1962) came as part of the MLP box, however, I’m not sure whether he did the whole cycle or not. Judging by what I’ve heard so far, that would probably be my cycle to go to. And, of course, the sonics are nothing short of spectacular. Ever since I received this box, I haven’t looked back to Kleiber’s 5th on DGG so far. Just as I’ve never looked for another Le sacre du printemps after I received his stereo retake of on MLP. Btw, now playing:

[​IMG]

EasterEverywhere and bluemooze like this.
  17. john greenwood

Add "In the Hall of the Mountain King" - Grieg

bluemooze likes this.
  18. Joe071

Joe071 Forum Resident

Listening for the very first time:

bluemooze likes this.
  19. Tom Campbell

Tom Campbell Forum Resident

No, that particular performance is much earlier, from the early '60s, I believe. Late in his life, Dorati did, in fact, do the whole cycle of Beethoven symphonies with the Royal Philharmonic (on DG).

http://www.amazon.com/Beethoven-Nin...d=1403788495&sr=1-2&keywords=dorati+beethoven

20. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

I had quite a few Beethoven 5ths already and a friend recommended Kleiber's...I thought "Do I really need another one?"...picked it up anyway. It was a revelation.

Stone Turntable likes this.
  21. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Listened to CD 1 from the above set, mastered by Ward Marston. Will get to the second half later.

bluemooze, Joe071 and ToddBD like this.
  22. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

This 7th was recorded 7/9-10/63 in Watford Town Hall, outside London.

Joe071 likes this.
  23. Mr Bass

Schumann: Sym 1 & Sym 4. Mehta, Vienna Phil. O. Decca UK.

[​IMG]

bluemooze, Joe071 and ToddBD like this.
  24. jimsumner

jimsumner Senior Member

Halloween Music.

March to the Scaffold from Symphonie Fantastique
    Night on Bald Mountain-Mussorgsky
    The third movement of Raff's 5th symphony
    The third movement of Shostakovich's piano quintet, which the composer characterized as dancing on tombstones.
    A Soldier's Tale, by Stravinsky, describes a fiddle duel between the Devil and a soldier.

bluemooze likes this.
  25. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

In the CD player this morning...
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.