POLL: How do you rate Paul McCartney's "Flaming Pie" album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mrjinks, Jun 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged Thread Starter

It's been another couple weeks since the last round of voting on the merits of a McCartney album, so here's round 6.

The ground rules: this poll, like the others, is designed for people familiar with the album in question and with at least some familiarity with some of his other post-Beatle catalog (for comparison purposes). If the poll doesn't interest you, please kindly move on to a thread that does. I've intentionally not named "comparison albums" on the best-to-worst scale, as some may think a particular album of his is awesome, while others have a completely different take on the same album. Just consider how YOU would rate it in comparison with his other post-Beatles work.

If you've missed a previous poll, feel free to vote below. Here's a recap of where the others have rated so far:
    The "New" album poll 261 votes, with a weighted average of 3.59 (edging slightly towards "solid effort").
    The "Back To The Egg" album poll. 209 votes, also with a nearly identical (!) weighted average of 3.58.
    The "Wild Life" album poll. 235 votes, with a weighted average of 2.85 (just below "not bad").
    The "Driving Rain" album poll. 210 votes, with a weighted average of 2.80.
    The "Flowers in the Dirt" album poll. 138 votes, and leading the pack with a weighted average of 3.66.

With this poll, we've now hit every decade of his post-Beatle career: 70s/80s/90s/00s/10s. Suggestions welcome for the next one to rate!

theMess likes this.
  2. Paper Wizard

Paper Wizard Forum Resident

I think this is a solid effort and I listen to it quite a bit.

3. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

This is clearly one of his best for me. Despite two or three songs not being his best, the rest are so strong that I do not care (and one of those weaker songs is still a fun jam between Ringo and Paul).

Songs like Calico Skies, Somedays, Beautiful Night and Little Willow would all have been Beatles classics had they been written in the 60's, as far as I am concerned.

4. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I would like Tug Of War to be the next album that we rate.

5. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

Voted pretty solid effort, some of the tracks do very little for me, but about 1/2 of it is among his best.

Slokes and JimC like this.
  6. GV1967

GV1967 Senior Member

My second favorite McCartney album. "Ram" (especially in mono) is #1.

theMess likes this.
  7. Jason Pumphrey

Jason Pumphrey Forum Resident

Great Macca album, got my cd copy release day at Best Buy with the free Oobu Joobu bonus cd.

JimC and theMess like this.
  8. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Thus far, I've voted for "Not Bad" for each album which is how I'd rate pretty much every McCartney album.

What's interesting to me is that the averages for each album seem to be clustered right about there too. Almost exactly if you discount each overall score a half point to compensate for the over-abundance of McCartney fanboys on this forum as I believe you should ;)

9. anthontherun

anthontherun Forum Resident

The results are a little more spread than I expected; I figured I'd be one of the few "Not bad" voters with the majority going for "Clearly one of his best." There are some songs on here that I love (especially "The World Tonight") but I've never found it quite as impressive as its reputation suggests. That said, it makes for a great listen in the wintertime.

10. As great as anything he's done as a solo artist. Love this album.

11. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

I would say it's one of his worst.

Moonbeam Skies likes this.
  12. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Pretty solid. If it were the LP era he could have trimmed 2 or 3 weaker tracks ("Really Love You") and really had something spectacular. I like this record. Its quite good.

13. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

I think there are others here who like this album better than I do--I find it more variable in quality than usual with Mr McCartney. Still, the great songs are so great and the average is so enjoyable, that I guess I rate it pretty highly in the end, notwithstanding the occasional lapse.

I guess I would claim that Rushes was McCartney's major artistic statement in the 1990s.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
  14. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I voted "solid effort - worth recommending" - as much as I like this album, I have to rank it as second tier for me. It's my favorite of his since Tug of War, with the exception of New which I would consider first-tier McCartney.

theMess likes this.
  15. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged Thread Starter

Would you care to elaborate? If all us Macca-lovers promise not to berate your opinion? ;)

What do you dislike about it and what would you rate as his best albums? Just curious! :wave:

905 and theMess like this.
  16. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Do a McCartney II poll next.

17. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Flaming Pie clearly is one of Pauls best efforts. Ok it s a bit long, includes a few unimpressive jams but what s good really is good. Examples;.Flaming Pie, Little Willow, Souvernir, Calico Skies, Heaven on a sunday, The world tonight
    At least a few of those are imho of Beatles quality- Little Willow my own favourite

theMess likes this.
  18. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Yes, those songs are timeless and will be judged as some of his finest compositions ever. In fact, in the distant future (say, in the year 2214), when almost no one (except music scholars) will even know about the whole Beatles phenomenon (they'll just be a "name" like Mozart is to 99% of the population), music lovers will just listen to a Paul McCartney song and won't associate it with Beatles, or Wings, or solo Paul. It will just be a song written and sung by Paul McCartney. And it will be judged just on its merits as a musical composition. And when that happens, a song like "Calico Skies" can be deemed equal to, say, "Eleanor Rigby" because there won't be any "Beatles" fairy dust anymore.

But of course I won't be around in 2214 to see if this all comes true. ;) Arnie

foxylady, OldShiftyEyes and theMess like this.
  19. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

For me - it is like every other McCartney album in that it has a few great songs some good ones and more than its fair share of duds.
    Exceptions:
    McCartney - Cherries
    Ram
    Band on the Run

But it does have some choice material and I would put it with the top......but some lyrics that do their best to ruin great songs. I'm looking at you Mr. "Lovers of love to behold".

20. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Probably my favorite overall Paul album. I gave it the highest rating. :)

Vinyl_Blues and theMess like this.
  21. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

FLAMING PIE is chock full of McCartney excellence. Paul got real with many of the lyrics and musically it's top notch. A+ in my book.

22. heatherly

heatherly Well-Known Member

One of his best (and my favorite PM record)!

Yes it has a few throwaways but the best songs on this record are some of the best songs he's written.

And I'm throwing in the tunes he wrote in the 60's for that bum group too.

Buick6 and theMess like this.
  23. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I really think (and hope) that you are right. People will be able to listen without the baggage in future, and they will see how many great melodies he has written.

Shak Cohen likes this.
  24. dirtymac

dirtymac Forum Resident

To me it is his best since at least 'Tug of War.'

theMess and kwadguy like this.
  25. OldShiftyEyes

OldShiftyEyes Forum Resident

A solid effort, bordering on classic if not for a few tracks which I really wish had never made it onto the album....sorry Steve and Ringo. So it's almost first tier for me, but not quite. The best tracks on the record are among his very best, however, so it's still essential listening for a McCartney fan. I dig the understated production, too. Sounds timeless.

streetlegal and theMess like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.