Urban Outfitters $9.99 clearance sale

Discussion in 'Third Party Sales & Auctions' started by Amnesiac, Jun 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amnesiac

Amnesiac Forum Resident Thread Starter

Many Urban Outfitters stores are having this vinyl clearance sale, each priced at $9.99. I picked up the following at that price:

Elliott Smith - XO
    Wilco - A Ghost Is Born
    Wilco - Summerteeth
    Blur - Blur
    Pavement - Slanted And Enchanted
    Volcano Choir - Repave

Other titles they had:

Todd Rundgren - Hermit Of Mink Hollow
    REM - Murmur
    James Blake - Overgrown
    Deerhunter - Monomania
    Franz Ferdinand - Right Words, Right Thoughts, Right Action
    Juilianna Barwick - Nepenthe
    The Shouting Matches - Grownass Man
    Pixies - Come On Pilgrim
    Sleigh Bells - Bitter Rivals

There's a ton more, though. Check out your local one if you want to score any of these. $10 is a steal!

Thurenity, Naughty Chord and mikeyt like this.
  2. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

WHAT? Is Urban Outfitters getting out of vinyl? There's a store near my workplace that has a great selection, but all the records are expensive. I've seen no sign of them clearing out vinyl.

3. Amnesiac

They weren't clearing out. It was just a smaller section (6 rows maybe) aside from the regular priced ones.

4. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Hmm. Thanks for the tip. I need to get over there! Love to get those Wilcos.

5. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

6. PBo

PBo Forum Resident

I think is a store by store type situation. I went to a local one and they didn't have any vinyl in their clearance section. I asked a sales clerk and he suggested checking one of their stores that carried more vinyl. They did have the Wilco in stock, but it was full price.

7. Amnesiac

Hm, my store had the clearance vinyl with all the regular vinyl.

8. katstep

katstep Professional Cat Herder

Killer deal on those Wilco titles. Those are fantastic sounding slabs of vinyl, which is generally the case with all Wilco vinyl.

9. bilgewater

bilgewater Forum Resident

Yep, went to the Ann Arbor UO, which does have a lot of vinyl. They haven't had this much on sale for a couple of years. Mostly recent "indie" rock like Deerhunter, Deertick, Grizzly Bear (B-sides from Shields), Dum Dum Girls, Madlib (!), and some reissues by Mazzy Star, MC5, Rundgren, and new Original Jazz Classic reissues by TS Monk (controversial in sonic qualities). I noticed that some of these albums had some corner wear. I got a few things, but mostly realized that many of the LPs were by new artists who haven't yet broken through (to me at least) and that I would need to do some more research.

Meanwhile I saw a Neil Young reissue for like $45. No comment.

10. tyler928

tyler928 Forum Resident

No clearance vinyl at mine, either.

11. ShawnX

ShawnX Forum Resident

I picked up Wilco - A Ghost Is Born yesterday. Nice for 9.99.

The only one I still needed.

12. PBo

PBo Forum Resident

Damn, I need to check some other locations. These are some good prices!

13. PBo

PBo Forum Resident

I checked another Urban Outfitters close to work and they had some clearance vinyl!

I didn't find any Wilco unfortunately, but I did grab some indie artists that I had been interested in picking-up. Two of the titles had some shelf wear and their shrink falling off, which may be why they were discounted, but they were both double lps that retail for around $25, so I think it was still a good deal.

I purchased these three:

Julia Holter - Loud City Song
    Lower Dens - Nootropics
    Ducktails - Flower Lane

Thurenity likes this.
  14. Beholdentonoone

Beholdentonoone Forum Resident

PBO you need to check the big UO on Broadway between Bleecker and Houston…

Because of another UO Vinyl Sale Thread I stopped in at the store on Broadway between Houston and Bleecker yesterday and grabbed:

Laurel Halo
    Jesus & Mary Chain Psychocandy
    Elliott Smith XO
    Chuck Berry After School
    Pixies Come on Pilgrim
    George Harrison (the album released in conjunction w the documentary)
    Todd Rundgren Hermit
    Teen In Limbo
    Flaming Lips Terror

All were $9.99!

Thurenity likes this.
  15. PBo

PBo Forum Resident

Nice! I'll have to drop by there this weekend.

16. Beholdentonoone

The $9.99 titles are under a long cabinet. Look for the SALE notices!

Let us know how you make out!

17. igbee

igbee Forum Resident

I have found that the titles that are on clearance are set by headquartes so even if the title is not marked by the store it will still ring up on sale if you take it to the counter. so mant titles get missed at the stores I go to so threads like this are great!

18. PBo

PBo Forum Resident

Thanks again for the tip! I dropped by this store and they did have more titles. Confusingly, as mentioned above, not all of the titles were stickered or in the sale bin. I found a copy of Summer Teeth in the regular bin, but I asked one of the cashiers to scan it and came up $9.99, so I bought that. Also, for some reason I assumed Yankee Hotel Foxtrot would be discounted, but they found a copy in the back for me and it rang up full price. I guess it's just A Ghost is Born and Summer Teeth that are discounted?

Also, slightly unrelated, the three titles I purchased earlier all happened to be on Domino Records, and all of the download codes included a 16/44.1 download option, which I think is awesome. Nice to see a label offering that option instead of just mp3s when you purchase an album.

19. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Finally made it there. Sadly, no Wilco. So odd titles, but nothing that turned me on. Biggest name was Pavements "Slanted and Enchanted" however I own that (and it's a lousy mastering).

20. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

Was over in Princeton NJ today, so popped in. They do have a very small amount of clearance vinyl there, over in the last bin near XYZ (you'll see "sale" in the upper right side of the LP). Best Coast EP was $5 so that was a no-brainer for me, and also saw Pixies "Come on Pilgrim" and Civil Wars' "Barton Hollow" for $9.99. I spot-checked a few others with no sale marking but they were full price.

21. popscene

popscene Senior Member

I've hit two Urban Outfitters stores, both of which had a healthy sale section (that far outweighed my budget). I picked up two double albums - The Silver Gymnasium by Okkervil River and 3 Feet High And Rising by De La Soul (UO exclusive pink/yellow vinyl). Great deal!

22. paulewalnutz

paulewalnutz Forum Resident

No clearance at the one by me,the vinyl section did expand a bit though.

23. Amnesiac

They currently have a 50% off sale items, so you can get the $10 albums for $5 now. At every UO store until July 6.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
    Tjazz likes this.
  24. Henry Please

Henry Please Forum Resident

I called the location in Kansas City and the woman I talked to said no sale on vinyl -- she acted like it was a rumor going around. Then I happened to be in the area and stopped in to check for myself. Turns out the sale was/is indeed real. Picked up a copy of Blur, Blur, and Pixies, Come On Pilgrim for $5.

25. Beholdentonoone

I assume the sale is now over as when I go to the UO home page there is no mention of it and all last week there was a banner on the home page stating "last sale of the summer"…Oh well…happy with what I got for $10 each.

If anyone knows for sure please post here as it would be appreciated!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.