Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #56)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Now playing CD3 - Mozart Serenades from the following box for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
  2. coopmv

Now playing CD6 - Symphony No. 9, the last CD from the following set for a first listen. I also have this CD as a single I purchased many years ago ...

[​IMG]

Joe071, ToddBD, Mr Bass and 2 others like this.
  3. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

To my ears Symphonies 6 and 9 are easily the best in this set.

4. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now on the turntable, "Beethoven - The Sonatas For Piano And Violin" performed by Ingrid Haebler and Henryk Szeryng from the Philips box set.

Sonata No. 9 in A, Op. 47 "Kreutzer."

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Listened to Szeryng and Rubinstein playing Beethoven earlier this week.

Just listened to "From the House of the Dead" conducted by Mackerras. These Janacek operas are fantastic.

Joe071, ToddBD and bluemooze like this.
  6. john greenwood

I have the Masur cycle as well. I listened to Beethoven's symphonies so frequently in my early years of exploring classical music, that I tend to avoid them now. Not that I have gotten tired of them; I simply want to discover new works. Over the past 15 years I have purchased (or repurchased) 7 Beethoven cycles; I bet I have listened to most of them no more than twice.

7. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Their "Spring" Sonata is the first (and probably the best) I have ever heard.

Joe071 and bluemooze like this.
  8. coopmv

This Philips box is a classic. I think I may have the box in my LP collection as well ...

9. coopmv

CD version on Philips or on Newton Classics?

10. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

I have it on an Eloquence Philips CD.

11. coopmv

Before the Philips label disappeared, a good number of classics in its catalog were re-issued on the Eloquence (Australian?) label. UM has allowed Newton Classics, a Dutch label IIRC to re-issue many of these Philips classics. I think I have seen this on Newton Classics ...

Henryk Szeryng was another superb violinist of the 20th century ...

12. coopmv

I am done with collecting Beethoven Symphonies. I think with close to 30 cycles between my LP and CD collections, I have more than enough versions of these works ...

ToddBD likes this.
  13. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

14. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now on the turntable, "Beethoven - Complete Piano Trios" performed by the Beaux Arts Trio from a Philips box set.

Trio No. 1 in E flat, Op.1 No.1.
    Menahem Pressler - piano/Isidore Cohen - violin/Bernard Greenhouse - cello.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

J.A.W., Joe071, ToddBD and 1 other person like this.
  15. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

In the CD player...yes, maybe a tad serious for a Friday night, but I never tire of hearing the CSO.
    [​IMG]

John S, J.A.W., Joe071 and 1 other person like this.
  16. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Having another listen to this, and I can't help but agree with you. :)

Scott Wheeler likes this.
  17. john greenwood

Grrr. Co-opting more clarinet music! (op. 11 and 38).

bluemooze likes this.
  18. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

I have some of these on the original shellacs.
    Don't have as many of Masur's Eterna records as I would like.

bluemooze likes this.
  19. EasterEverywhere

This interview is a must see.Ida is a very charming lady and a great storyteller.

20. Joe071

Joe071 Forum Resident

Huge Fricsay fan here. What a knowledgeable and kind person he was, a true gentleman. Please watch this video when you have time.

bluemooze likes this.
  21. EasterEverywhere

I have a lot of Fricsay,including one of those great French Deutsche Grammophon deluxe editions from the late 50s.Hardbound gatefold cover,with Fricsay's photo inside,and pictures of other album covers on the inside.As well as a lot of other DGG tulips,and American Decca LPs.I have similar deluxe editions of one of the Bruno Walter Brahms symphonies on Philips,and one of the Living Presence stereo Byron Janis.

Pretty sure my Eternas from the late 50s and early 60s include a few by Fricsay.

bluemooze likes this.
  22. drh

drh Talking Machine

Well done! Those don't turn up all that often. I have a few Arrau 78 sets (all on Victor except as noted): Beethoven's Eroica and op. 34 vars.; a couple of Mozart stas.; Schumann's Arabesque (Columbia), Carnaval (Parlophone), Kreisleriana (Columbia), and pno. cto.; and Weber's first pno. sta. I think most of these are post-war. What do you have?

Most of mine came from a single source, a guy who had bought a big pile of Eternas while stationed in (West) Germany and brought them home with him. A few I picked up in used record stores to supplement that basic core. I have only about half the Masur Beethoven set on LP, but eventually I picked up the whole thing at a good price in its Pentatone SACD reissue, which, unlike the Eternas, offers the opportunity to hear the things in quad if you so desire; later, I added the corresponding set of the overtures. Incidentally, the Beethoven recordings, at least, were coproductions with Philips, and I'm pretty confident they would have better surfaces in that form; my Eternas, at least, tend to be fairly noisy.

I won't rehash my thoughts about the Beethoven cycle, which I've belabored before, except to say that I think it's a good, "central" account, one of those instances when scrupulously bringing out the implications of a score and otherwise staying out of the way can pay dividends. At this point, I wouldn't necessarily want it to be my sole set, but I always recommend it as a good "basic library" starting point for exploring the scores and a traversal that would continue to pay dividends if one did decide to live with only one set.

I just checked my catalogue, and I was (rather unpleasantly) surprised to discover that I have precisely one record by this conductor, a collection of excerpts from The Flying Dutchman on mono Decca. I may need to do something about that...$$$...:sigh:...

Last edited: Jun 28, 2014
  23. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

In the CD player today...
    [​IMG]

bluemooze, John S and Joe071 like this.
  24. coopmv

Now playing the following CD from my Mozart collection ...

[​IMG] [​IMG]

bluemooze, ToddBD and Joe071 like this.
  25. coopmv

Now playing the following CD from my Liszt collection for a second listen ...
    So little time but so many CD's that have been listened to only once. :sigh:

[​IMG]

bluemooze, Joe071 and George P like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.